• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First time in Africa, with kids: where to go? (1 Viewer)

The only complaints about time in the car was when driving to the different national parks from the airports - once there driving slowly with windows down and all the wildlife you should have no problem with the kids.

You're actually not even supposed to have the windows open.

A

You're actually not even supposed to have the windows open.

Not true, you are fully permitted to have open windows in both South African and Namibian national parks.

The only mention regarding windows in the official regulations of SANPARKS is that "no part of the body may protrude from a window" ...and this is enforced only you do something stupid like sitting on the door frame or something. Pretty much standard that everybody drives with open windows, photographing from them, etc.

Last edited:
Not true, you are fully permitted to have open windows in both South African and Namibian national parks.

The only mention regarding windows in the official regulations of SANPARKS is that "no part of the body may protrude from a window" ...and this is enforced only you do something stupid like sitting on the door frame or something. Pretty much standard that everybody drives with open windows, photographing from them, etc.

Always the last word

We were told regularly by park staff to keep windows closed, especially when animals were present, they oft quoted the ranger who had been killed by a Leopard through an open window. No idea if that's bull, never checked.

Last edited:
Always the last word.

Apologies if it narks you, but it simply not the case that there is any regulation to keep windows closed.

"SANParks Regulations & other useful information:

Visitors must remain in their vehicles unless in a designated area. Remember that no part of the body may protrude from a window or sunroof or any other part of the vehicle. Vehicle doors should be closed at all times."

Don't know why you were asked otherwise, but it is standard practice to drive with windows open, I personally have never experienced or seen rangers requesting persons to close windows.

As Jos suggests, Kruger plus St. Lucia works excellently. You can eat very well in St. Lucia and it is well worth spending several days(or more) there. The milk shakes in particular are notably better than in Europe.

Don't forget that booking in Kruger needs to be done well in advance.

As to taking an interest in the people, that can produce surprises. We asked a waiter in St. L where he was from, thinking he would tell us about the village just outside town. "I am from Nigeria and my dad lives in London." came the reply.

I think there is an age limit (probably over 6) for going on official night/game drives in most parks. Remember it's not uncommon for lions etc to come right up to open game vehicles. Also in many parks you have to be within a camp before the evening. There are a number of private reserves as well that may be an easier option with a 5/6 year old, some of which offer horse riding (rarely the ones with the large predators), which can be fun as you can get close to the herbivores.

Florian,
I read a nice report from Namibia once that mentioned the danger snakes such as Black Mamba could pose. I am sure with kids used to travel, this will not be a great problem. Just like lions usually stay a bit away from the car.

Niels

True about age limits on night safari, older child is fine, but technically the younger is, I think, below the limit ...but still sometimes they allow them. Easy answer is one parent do a night safari with the older child one night, then other parent the next night again with older child.

Many snakes in Africa, but in reality quite rarely seen unfortunately.

True about age limits on night safari, older child is fine, but technically the younger is, I think, below the limit ...but still sometimes they allow them. Easy answer is one parent do a night safari with the older child one night, then other parent the next night again with older child.

Ah, that's just for night safaris then? Yes, that wouldn't be a big problem, as you suggest, easy to solve...

Thanks for the hint with the age limit, I will check that...

Niels, I wanted to show this thread to my wife, but better not now... ;)

The main thing is to make sure the kid does not run ahead of the rest. I believe you have traveled in Asia(?) where similar dangers exist.

Obviously, you can do selective printing instead of showing the thread on the screen ;)

Niels

Came to this late but I've taken my family to southern Africa three times, and been once without them. My son was three when we first went; my daughter only slightly older. It is the ultimate 'glamorous' family friendly destination with children, at a reasonable price, IMO. South Africa is considerably cheaper to get there, costs when there, hire car costs and for costs of night drives. Both family friendly and wonderful. For me Kruger is the outstanding place. Never been told to shut my window; everyone drives with them open. The park vehicles you do night drives in don't even have windows, as far as I remember. Trip reports on my website. The most recent one here: http://www.stevebabbs.com/home/trip-reports/2016-south-africa St Lucia is a great place to take the family but the drive through Swaziland is pretty tedious. If you do this drive than it is worth a night or two at Mkuzi. Feel free to PM me. I was last there in August so fairly up to date.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back