• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo identification (1 Viewer)

leestan

Please help to identify this cuckoo. Is this a Large Hawk Cuckoo or Malaysian Hawk Cuckoo or something else?
Photographed in Penang, Malaysia.

SKL_9929.jpg

Hmm.. I'm not so sure, combination of obvious pale uppermost tertial, rather narrow subterminal tail band, bill pattern and absence of white nape patch favour Hodgson's.

Roland, the first 3 images (Bidadari on 7 Dec) on the OBI link, which I'm assuming involve the same individual, are surely Hodgson's; in addition to the features noted above the colour and strength/extent of the underpart streaking is better for Hodgson's.

Any more images leestan, in particular front-on?

More discussion here http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=355133

Grahame

Last edited:
Hmm.. I'm not so sure, combination of obvious pale uppermost tertial, rather narrow subterminal tail band, bill pattern and absence of white nape patch favour Hodgson's.

Roland, the first 3 images (Bidadari on 7 Dec) on the OBI link, which I'm assuming involve the same individual, are surely Hodgson's; in addition to the features noted above the colour and strength/extent of the underpart streaking is better for Hodgson's.

Grahame

Your are right Grahame - as usual ;)

Admittedly a quick shot as I've had no literature at hand and was only doing a search on OBI. Little did I know that these pics uploaded as immature Malaysian were in fact Hodgson's... I've checked that now.

Still by no means means certain of the ID with only a single dorsal view image to go on...they can be very tricky, and both species are known to occur in Penang state. Some images of Hodgson's here.. https://digdeep1962.wordpress.com/tag/hodgsons-hawk-cuckoo/
It seems there is much overlap in features including tertial and nape pattern while the bill pattern is useless, contra my earlier comment so, I'd like to see a front view. The image is quite strongly backlit but the upper parts are quite rufous which is another feature that favours Hodgson's as does the rather narrower penultimate black tail bar.

Grahame

Last edited:
Grahame leestan's bird is fugax. Dave in the article you link is saying he thought he had a Hodgson's but he later realized his bird was large cuckoo hawk!

Grahame leestan's bird is fugax. Dave in the article you link is saying he thought he had a Hodgson's but he later realized his bird was large cuckoo hawk!

MHW (fugax) based on what precisely?

I thought you were an English teacher, then read the article properly- If you care scroll down the lower bird(s), bottom 3 images are Hodgson's.

Grahame

Last edited:
Hi Grahame,

Thanks for your discussion. Unfortunately I had only one shot of this pretty bird before it threw away.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back