• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoo Zhejiang, China (1 Viewer)

Dawsy

Is there enough in these pictures to identify this cuckoo seen this morning in a city park in lowland Zhejiang province, China?

Michael

Attachments

• Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223842.jpg
    Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223842.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223841.jpg
    Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223841.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223729.jpg
    Cuckoo 1 Juan Hu_230918_223729.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
Unluckily you picked one of the difficult Cuculus species, I would think. They are notoriously hard to ID somehow. And not very popular with our ID community. Good luck!

Sorry I can't be of more help.
cheers,
Gerben

Last edited:
It looks like one of the larger Cuckoos if I compare its size with the leaves and branches around, and the pattern of barring on the underparts seems to lead to the same conclusion. I would say it's most likely to be a Common Cuckoo, although I can't rule out Oriental. It resembles this bird a little: ML70455721 Oriental Cuckoo Macaulay Library. Do you have any flight shots?

No, no flight shots. It was all but dark so even still shots were tricky. What am i looking out for if I see it in flight again?
Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back