• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terra ED (1 Viewer)

Brock

The Terra 8x32 takes about 13/8 turns from what is the effective focus on the far distance for me (therefore isn't with wheel turned all the way to the stop at the infinity end of the travel, for the reasons mentioned by Bob) down to the close-focus stop.

Lee

The 8x32 Terra ED arrived this morning. I'm waiting for an interviewee to call me back, so I'm a shut-in right now, but I took the 8x32s out briefly after they arrived, and the focuser is much easier to use than the too fast 8x42's although ironically, the 32's focuser has less stickion than the 8x42, which I prefer in that regard.

Not sure if it's sample variation or if all 8x32 Terra's focusers are looser than the 8x42s. If the 8x42's focuser had the looser stickion of the 8x32's, I would not be able to focus with it. It needs good stickion to achieve fine focus due to the ultra fast focus speed.

The depth of focus (or the apparent depth of field as Frank D. likes to put it) is much better in the 8x32 model. I can see a bird and a squirrel about 30 ft. from each other, both in focus. With the 8x42, I have to tweak the focuser a nanohair to get one or the other in focus, but not both. So it's much easier on my eyes and easier to focus on the bird.

It was also obvious immediately (if not sooner) that the view through the 8x32 was "sharper" than the 8x42. Close to what I remember the view through the 8x30 M7 looked like. Someone said the 8x30 M7 "punched above its weight class." My initial impressions is that this is also true of the 8x32 Terra ED.

I need to spend a lot more time with it and compare it side by side with the 8x42 model for a thorough review, but my first impression of the 8x32 Terra was very good.

Brock

Last edited:
Brock glad to hear you liked it. It's definitely a keeper. For its price point it's a well-refined binocular that should last for years. It's my full-time truck binocular. I'm constantly surprised by how often I grab it to look at something.

I get my Viper HD 6x32 today so I'm very curious to see how it compares. Should be a good shoot-out.

The 8x32 Terra ED arrived this morning. I'm waiting for an interviewee to call me back, so I'm a shut-in right now, but I took the 8x32s out briefly after they arrived, and the focuser is much easier to use than the too fast 8x42's although ironically, the 32's focuser has less stickion than the 8x42, which I prefer in that regard.

Not sure if it's sample variation or if all 8x32 Terra's focusers are looser than the 8x42s. If the 8x42's focuser had the looser stickion of the 8x32's, I would not be able to focus with it. It needs good stickion to achieve fine focus due to the ultra fast focus speed.

The depth of focus (or the apparent depth of field as Frank D. likes to put it) is much better in the 8x32 model. I can see a bird and a squirrel about 30 ft. from each other, both in focus. With the 8x42, I have to tweak the focuser a nanohair to get one or the other in focus, but not both. So it's much easier on my eyes and easier to focus on the bird.

It was also obvious immediately (if not sooner) that the view through the 8x32 was "sharper" than the 8x42. Close to what I remember the view through the 8x30 M7 looked like. Someone said the 8x30 M7 "punched above its weight class." My initial impressions is that this is also true of the 8x32 Terra ED.

I need to spend a lot more time with it and compare it side by side with the 8x42 model for a thorough review, but my first impression of the 8x32 Terra was very good.

Brock

The 8x32 Terra and the M7 look enough alike, can we be sure they are not the same basic binocular, just tweaked and rebadged?

In fact, there is a whole line of 8x30 / 8x32 bins with this basic body style - I'm thinking someone like Kamakura makes the basic shell and the buyers just add their badges and maybe lenses in some cases.

Last edited:
They are nothing alike.

I agree. "Any resemblance to other binoculars, living or dead, is purely coincidental." :smoke:

The 8x30 M7 has a warmer color balance and less gradual fall off at the edges than the 8x32 TED, a wider FOV (8.3* vs 7.7*) and it has 2mm less aperture. So it's not the same bin. But they do compete against each other nicely in the same price segment.

I A/Bed the 8x32 and 8x42 TED today in my backyard and found the 8x42 has better contrast. I turned the objectives upward to see the color reflecting off them and while they both have green reflections, the 8x32 has a lighter color green and the 8x42 a darker color green, so it appears they don't have the same coatings, which is surprising.

The 8x32 is "sharper" and has a wider sweet spot than the 8x42 model. Considering that it has a wider FOV, that was also surprising.

The 8x32 TED is not quite as comfortable for me to hold as the M7 but it's pretty good (my thumb gets in the way when I crisscross my thumbs under the bins, which is not the case with the larger TED). The 8x42 TED has more real estate, better heft so steadier image, but if I were going birding all day, I would take one of the lighter midsized binoculars since that weight would start to feel heavier and heavier as the day wore on.

The armoring is colored differently. The 8x42 model is a dark gray, almost black, the 8x32 is a light gray. I'll post some pix when I get the chance.

I don't think Kamakazi makes the M7 or the TED. They are both made in China.

Brock

Last edited:
AFAIK Kamakura has production facilities both in Japan and in China.

Hermann

Makes sense. Considering how much is made in China and the Pacific Rim today and how much cheaper labor is than Japan, they would be foolish not to manufacture there.

(from The Economist) "China produces about 80% of the world’s air-conditioners, 70% of its mobile phones and 60% of its shoes. The white heat of China’s ascent has forged supply chains that reach deep into South-East Asia. This 'Factory Asia' now makes almost half the world’s goods."

Looking around my room, I think the only thing NOT made in China is me. Maybe not even me.

Change Japanese to Chinese to update this song:

The Vapors

MIC

Last edited:
fa9963f0b9dad85f80e55a31eec8b4e3.jpg

My mount solution.

I am torn between Conquest and Terra 8x32 as an EDC alternative to my Pentax Papilio 6,5x21, for when I expect to observe things far rather than close. I'm happy with the 8x42, especially the focuser, less so the color aberration (I might have said that already). Since the financial situation here goes from bad to worse to tragic, the Terras might be my choice. You that find it sharper than the 42s build expectations.
What about lateral color?
Spikes when viewing point light sources (I look at vessels during night-time)?
Is there a pic of 32 and 42 side by side to understand relative sizes?

fa9963f0b9dad85f80e55a31eec8b4e3.jpg

My mount solution.

I am torn between Conquest and Terra 8x32 as an EDC alternative to my Pentax Papilio 6,5x21, for when I expect to observe things far rather than close. I'm happy with the 8x42, especially the focuser, less so the color aberration (I might have said that already). Since the financial situation here goes from bad to worse to tragic, the Terras might be my choice. You that find it sharper than the 42s build expectations.
What about lateral color?
Spikes when viewing point light sources (I look at vessels during night-time)?
Is there a pic of 32 and 42 side by side to understand relative sizes?

kkokkolis,

Sorry to hear about what happened with the financial situation in Greece. In that regard, I'm also "Greek" (and 1/4 genetically).

I have to work this holiday weekend (4th of July) so I didn't get a chance to do a more detailed comparison. I will next week, and I'll also take some side by side photos of the two bins. The 42 is significantly larger and heavier than the 32 model.

To my eyes, yes, the 8x32 model is sharper, better resolution in my eyeball tests and for me easier to achieve fine focus since the focuser speed is slower. The sweet spot is also bigger, which is surprising since the 32's FOV is wider, but the 42s are brighter and appear to have slightly enhance contrast (the AR coatings are slightly different, reflections off the objectives of the 32 show a lighter green than the 42 model).

Having large hands, the 8x42s are more comfortable for me to hold due to their fatter barrels, and they provide steadier views due to their greater weight, but if I had to chose between the two, I'd take the 8x32 mainly for its sharper optics. My eyes need all the help they can get. I also have a "bad shoulder" so the lighter weight helps.

I will compare the lateral color btwn the two and check for spikes from night time light sources next week. Troubie might beat me to it since he had his sample earlier and he's retired, the lucky Snoop Dogg.

For the price, I think the 8x32 Terra ED is a "best buy."

Brockus Aeschylus

The Terra arrived today but UPS was not kind. There was about a a 3 inch hole knocked out of the plastic display case. The plastic case was bubble wrapped and placed in a larger box which was stuffed with plastic wrapping. The box must have taken a heck of a hit, but it did not look that bad.

It is going back because first, I did want a damaged display case, and second, I did not feel comfortable going with a binocular at took that kind of hit. I still want a 10X42 Terra so I will be replacing it.

Bruce did you ever get the replacement? If so, how do you like it?

Hey Nick,

Yes, I now have both a 8X42 and a 10X42 Zeiss Terra. I plan on posting a comparison between the two after I take some pictures and spend some field time with the 10X. It has been just to hot to spend any extended time with them outdoors. Most of my viewing has been here at the house under a harsh desert sun. I did grab them for a day trip a couple of weeks ago, but when I took the Terra out of the case, it turned out I grabbed the 8X instead of the 10X! I figured I would do that eventually, but not on the first trip.

The quick report is they are every bit as good as I expected them to be. They are very much like the 8X so if you know the eight, then you should have a good idea what the ten will be like. The biggest difference is of course the magnification. One other difference is the focus rotation is somewhat slower (which Brock would like), but it is still on the fast side. The color balance between the two is very close, so like the eight, it is somewhat on the warm side. It has the same great handling as the eight so that makes it easier to control the additional shake of a ten. It does everything well and is a great buy, especially with the $50 Zeiss Summer Field Days Rebate currently in play and the sale prices at some vendors (Rogers Sporting Goods $349.99 on the 10X42 before rebate).

I plan on doing an extended trip to the AZ high county in about a week and will be taking both Terras along. I should post more after that.

Hey Nick,

Yes, I now have both a 8X42 and a 10X42 Zeiss Terra. I plan on posting a comparison between the two after I take some pictures and spend some field time with the 10X. It has been just to hot to spend any extended time with them outdoors. Most of my viewing has been here at the house under a harsh desert sun. I did grab them for a day trip a couple of weeks ago, but when I took the Terra out of the case, it turned out I grabbed the 8X instead of the 10X! I figured I would do that eventually, but not on the first trip.

The quick report is they are every bit as good as I expected them to be. They are very much like the 8X so if you know the eight, then you should have a good idea what the ten will be like. The biggest difference is of course the magnification. One other difference is the focus rotation is somewhat slower (which Brock would like), but it is still on the fast side. The color balance between the two is very close, so like the eight, it is somewhat on the warm side. It has the same great handling as the eight so that makes it easier to control the additional shake of a ten. It does everything well and is a great buy, especially with the $50 Zeiss Summer Field Days Rebate currently in play and the sale prices at some vendors (Rogers Sporting Goods $349.99 on the 10X42 before rebate).

I plan on doing an extended trip to the AZ high county in about a week and will be taking both Terras along. I should post more after that.

I'm not sure if the 10x42's focuser being "somewhat slower" would be enough given that the 10x has a shallower depth of field. I think it might need to be as slow as the 8x32 model to compensate for that.

The thing about the 8x32 model, or at least the sample I have on loan, is that the stiction is less than that of the 8x42, so even though it takes 1.5 turns from cf to infinity vs. the 8x42's 3/4 of a turn, the 8x42's sticktion is such that it takes more effort to turn the wheel. So there are two factors going on with focusers: (1) how easy or not easy the wheel itself turns, and (2) the turning radius throughout the range of focus. The worse combo was my first sample Nikon 8x32 LX, which had a loosey goosey focuser and a turning radius of less than 1/2 turn! Like Sherry in Junior High, it was too fast for me.

Back to my article "Rebirth of Manufacturing: Myth or Reality Show?" due at 9 a.m. tomorrow morning!

Brock

Last edited:
The quick report is they are every bit as good as I expected them to be. They are very much like the 8X so if you know the eight, then you should have a good idea what the ten will be like. The biggest difference is of course the magnification. One other difference is the focus rotation is somewhat slower (which Brock would like), but it is still on the fast side. The color balance between the two is very close, so like the eight, it is somewhat on the warm side. It has the same great handling as the eight so that makes it easier to control the additional shake of a ten.

Yeah, I owned the 10x42 model for a short time. As I recall, both focus on the 8x32 and the 10x42 were quite fast. I want to say the 10x42 was faster than the 8x32 but I can't be certain.

I liked the 10x42 model but I felt the veiling glare was a bit too much. Aside from that, I thought it was pretty good. The lower price should help but I didn't feel it was worth $399 that I originally paid.

The 8x32 model seems quite better overall. The glare isn't an issue on the 8x32 model. Not sure if they changed the design or not but it's a very nice binocular. Is the Terra ED a high resolution binocular -- no, but then again, it's not meant to be -- it's meant to be an affordable unit that everyone can buy.

Yeah, I owned the 10x42 model for a short time. As I recall, both focus on the 8x32 and the 10x42 were quite fast. I want to say the 10x42 was faster than the 8x32 but I can't be certain.

I liked the 10x42 model but I felt the veiling glare was a bit too much. Aside from that, I thought it was pretty good. The lower price should help but I didn't feel it was worth $399 that I originally paid.

The 8x32 model seems quite better overall. The glare isn't an issue on the 8x32 model. Not sure if they changed the design or not but it's a very nice binocular. Is the Terra ED a high resolution binocular -- no, but then again, it's not meant to be -- it's meant to be an affordable unit that everyone can buy.

Kenickie,

Does "XXXXX XXXXX 8x42" in your signature mean that you love 8x42s or that the brand and model names are TBA once you buy one?

Danny Z.

I wonder, just for historical reasons, and since Zeiss seems to have tried hard to offer cheaper models to the public a while ago, how is the Zeiss Terra ED optically compared to the Zeiss Diafun of the past? Or the first generation Conquests? Or the first Dialyts?
By the way, the Diafuns and first Victories are among the ugliest binoculars I have ever seen (only in pics, never in person), although I undestand they might look modern then.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back