• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inherited Zeiss binoculars (1 Viewer)

Geometer

United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping to pick some brains here. A couple of years ago I inherited my father's binoculars, a pair of Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 B purchased (I think) in the late 1970s, and I'd like to know more about what I've got. I know Zeiss is a top brand but my technical knowledge is limited. Where does this model stand in the pantheon of Zeiss bins, and what is my father likely to have paid for them?

They're in good condition, as far as I can tell, well used and a bit grubby but no scratches on the lenses and nothing rattling inside. Any technical details I should know and tips on checks, care and maintenance would be appreciated.

Do they have second-hand value? I don't intend to sell them as they're better than my old pair, but as I'm planning to take them to Spain this year I'd like to know what to insure them for.

All feedback welcome,
G.

They were very good in their day, and the basic design lasted a long time. Until the late 80's they lacked phase coating which improved them a lot, but as with all well made binoculars they're still perfectly usable. I've seen the late 70's/early 80's versions on sale for £250 ish, the later models tend to go for more, but condition plays a big part.

It will also depend upon which model they are, for example a used 10x40B in leatherette finish is an earlier version (original?), and will have only basic coatings. My father gave me his old pair a few years ago, and I remember that despite the age and somewhat yellow colour cast, they were surprisingly good.
The later versions had T* (multi-layer) coatings, then P* (phase corrected) coatings, with a T* P* being the latest and best version. Later versions were also available with or without rubber armouring.
All are well built, and if cared for, should continue to give years of good viewing.
A useful history of the 10x40 Zeiss catalogue can be found here.

Hope this helps!

My father gave me his old pair a few years ago, and I remember that despite the age and somewhat yellow colour cast, they were surprisingly good.
I had very similar thoughts when I tried a Leitz 10x40B (rubber armoured) of probably around the same vintage a few years back. Not as bright as a modern binocular (though I suppose that could be a blessing under the brilliant Spanish sun), but they seemed perfectly capable at typical birding distances, and what a pleasure to use: the way the thing pointed, felt in the hand, the mechanical quality you could feel in its controls (focus, hinge etc). Perceived sharpness and contrast were much better than I'd expected, which made me recall that birders used these and similar models quite happily for decades before phase-coating came along.

I think if your birding demands that you be able to tell a short-toed eagle from a Bonelli's eagle at 2km, you'll want something that incorporates the technological improvements that have been made over the last 40-odd years. But if you're a casual birder I suspect they'll do you just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back