• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Biggest Week in Amerian Birding Festival (1 Viewer)

Nmason,

I will check out the HG's again tomorrow. Optically they were quite pleasing. Again an extremely large sweet spot but definitely not sharp edge to edge. I would believe the field flattener claim based on edge performance. Like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what like I said I'll try it again tomorrow and see what else jumps out at me. They do have the super smooth, almost buttery, Nikon focus.

Thanks!

NM,

I did use the HGs again on Sunday. I did not have see any notable issues with apparent sharpness.

In addition I want to address the issue of field flattening. I am certain the HGs utilize it. I think some folks (not thinking of anyone in particular) assume that a flat field means "sharp to the edge". The two are not the same. The HGs are a perfect example. They do have a flatter than average field of view but they are not sharp to the edge. They do have a very large sweet spot though.

Ok, back from the first weekend of the Biggest Week in American Birding. Time to share some pics so you folks can see what it was like. All "regular pics" are with just my Iphone. Any bird pics featured were phonescoped with my Iphone and a couple of spotting scopes.

Lets start out with easy ones since many folks in this thread were asking about both the Leica Trinovid 32s and the Nikon Monarch HGs. Pics also of the Kowa Highlander and the Swarovski BTX binoviewer.

Give me a few minutes to upload all the pics. I can only do 5 per post.

Attachments

• trinovid comparison.jpg
    trinovid comparison.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 150
  • trinnyoc.jpg
    trinnyoc.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 134
  • monarchhg.jpg
    monarchhg.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 135
  • kowahigh.jpg
    kowahigh.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 120
  • swarobtx.jpg
    swarobtx.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 107
Second round....

Pics of the various booths and optics setups/displays

Attachments

• kowa.jpg
    kowa.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 104
  • opticronnikon.jpg
    opticronnikon.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 103
  • swaro.jpg
    swaro.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 105
  • timeandoptics.jpg
    timeandoptics.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 115
  • scopes.jpg
    scopes.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 117
Round 3... the Magee Marsh area where the event was held. Pics are of the long road out to the boardwalk area which is located right on the shore of Lake Erie.

Attachments

• Road to the boardwalk.jpg
    Road to the boardwalk.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 82
  • boardwalk parking area.jpg
    boardwalk parking area.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 91
  • eaglesnest.jpg
    eaglesnest.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 100
  • warblerfilledtrees.jpg
    warblerfilledtrees.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 94
  • beachboardwalk.jpg
    beachboardwalk.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 89
NM,

I did use the HGs again on Sunday. I did not have see any notable issues with apparent sharpness.

In addition I want to address the issue of field flattening. I am certain the HGs utilize it. I think some folks (not thinking of anyone in particular) assume that a flat field means "sharp to the edge". The two are not the same. The HGs are a perfect example. They do have a flatter than average field of view but they are not sharp to the edge. They do have a very large sweet spot though.

Yes,

I concur with all that. I have an 8x42. Nikon explains it thusly:

"NIKON'S FIELD FLATTENER LENS SYSTEM works in conjunction with MONARCH HG'S extraordinarily wide field of view*-- 8.3º and 6.9º respectively in the 8x42 and 10x42 models -- to provide a sharp, clear view to the lens periphery."

It also has a slight amount of pincushioning at the edge of the view.

Bob

Various cooperative birds I phonescoped while there....

Northern Flicker
Great Blue Heron
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Baltimore Oriole
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher

Attachments

• northernflickr.jpg
    northernflickr.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 77
  • greatblueheron.jpg
    greatblueheron.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 75
  • rosebreastergrossbeak.jpg
    rosebreastergrossbeak.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 89
  • baltimoreoriole.jpg
    baltimoreoriole.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 85
  • bluegraygnatcatcher.jpg
    bluegraygnatcatcher.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 79
Last pic post. More birds....

Yellow Warbler
Snowy Egret
Great Egret

Attachments

• snowyegret.jpg
    snowyegret.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 91
  • greategret.jpg
    greategret.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 91
  • Yellowwarbler.jpg
    Yellowwarbler.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 94
Frank .... Great job on the report and photos. Showing is better than telling. :t:

The Leica comparison photo is interesting in that the size difference in the two appears less than I would have expected. The new 32mm looks somewhat large but I suspect it is because the Noctivid is a little bit smaller than the 42mm models I am used to.

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Thanks for the photos Frank. The bird pics are nice :)

The Trinovid looks rather large to me for a 32mm. Nocti is taller than Ultravid 42, so
I wonder how the Trinovid 32 would look next to my Uvid 42. Obviously, it would be slimmer
and lighter, but only a half inch shorter. It does seem a bit on the big and heavy side for 32mm like
Conquest 32. It's only 4 ounces lighter than my Uvid 7x42 (27 oz).

I'll need to think on this and also wait to get confirmation on the FOV. I was hoping it would be slightly smaller and lighter (more portable).

Thanks again for all of the info. Your review of the Trinovid 8x32 makes me want to give it a try.

~ Beth

Thanks for this very informative report, Frank. I really appreciate the time you spent following up on our requests. I'm glad to see from the nice photos that you managed to find some time for birding too!

The Monarch HG certainly sounds tempting, from your description. It seems like a good compromise for those of us who will likely never own an alpha. I'm aware there are other strong contenders in this price range, but the HG's very wide FOV, flattened field, and relatively light weight make it appealing. I haven't convinced myself yet that I can afford it, but that's another issue...

Neill

Neill,

Not sure if it will help but if I had the cash I would buy one...for the focus alone. ;)

The optics are certainly impressive. No doubt there.

Bruce, GG,

Thank you. :)

For me personally I wasn't concerned about the size of the Trinovid 32. It isn't a "super short" 8x32 (thinking Zeiss FL based on memory) but it didn't feel as long as the Sightron. That is for sure.

Optics, as I mentioned previously, were certainly pleasing. Definitely a step up in terms of performance considering all the optical attributes it excelled in.

Bruce, GG,

Thank you. :)

For me personally I wasn't concerned about the size of the Trinovid 32. It isn't a "super short" 8x32 (thinking Zeiss FL based on memory) but it didn't feel as long as the Sightron. That is for sure.

Optics, as I mentioned previously, were certainly pleasing. Definitely a step up in terms of performance considering all the optical attributes it excelled in.

sounds great :t: I'm excited to try it once it's in stock :)

Hey Frank!
Thanks for a nice report! Great pics as well! Gives me going to look forward to later in the week!

Jerry,

That is the retailer Time and Optics. They are the "Lost Creek Shoe Shop" of Ohio. Very nice and knowledgeable Amish folks that own and work there. They have their own "spring fling" the first weekend in June and I usually go but can't this year because of a conflict with work.

Chuck,

Thank you. You will have tons of fun. Great place and good people.

Frank
Thanks for keeping us in touch with the event and for the photos and your impressions of in particular Trinovid 32 and Nikon M HG. Enjoyed hearing about it all.

Lee

Thank you Lee.

I won't be at another major event until next fall and the American Birding Expo outside of Philly.

Got back last night from the MaGee Marsh Biggest Week in American Birding. It was my first time TO the event and my first time to Magee Marsh. I have to say...it was GREAT! Basically we birded from 630AM to around 820PM both Saturday and Sunday. Of course there was a BRIEF break for lunch and a visit to Time and Optics!;) Both mornings and afternoons was spent on the Magee Marsh boardwalk. Saturday midday was spent on the Ottawa NWR drive and Sunday midday was spent at Metzer Marsh woodlot. 81 species Saturday and 80 on Saturday, and 100 total species total is what I'm coming up with so far. Going to check my list with Ashlee's...were just too worn out to do so while there! Very crowded on Saturday but less of a crowd on Sunday. I'm going to do all I can to return 2018! If you haven't been, GO!!!!

I'm not someone that can take only ONE binocular on a trip. I'm just not. ESPECIALLY when I have never been to the area. I like to match the birding situation with the binocular as best I can and I do think it DOES make a difference! I knew the SV 12X50 WAS going for sure for long range use. The forecast was for at least SOME rain at SOME point during the time I was to be there, the WHEN was the question. So that practically automatically meant the SV 8.5X42 with the attached BGP was going. The Bino Guard is a no-brainer rain-guard/eyepiece cover. It's a good product. As it turned out, the rain never happened. BUT the first morning/mid-day, the SV 8.5X42 was the binocular of choice with the BGP removed. As GOOD as the SV 8.5 is and with a FOV of 399 feet, after a couple of hours of birding on the boardwalk I was wishing for MORE FOV and my FL 7X42s or even the SV8X32 both of which ALMOST made the trip. Birding here is CLOSE, REALLY close. Even closer than I am used to. For THIS situation I truly believe I did NOT have the best binocular for this situation. So we made our way back to the car for lunch at noon to make a sandwich and visit the optics tent. :eek!: I also swapped to the other binocular I brought, the SF 8X42.

What a difference! The combination of .5X LESS magnification and more FOV was exactly what the doctor ordered. The SF 8X42 was to remain my constant companion for the rest of my trip. This was to be the most I have used this binocular since I bought it last year. My appreciation and affinity for this binocular has truly reached a new level. One thing I had done before coming on the trip that helped was to place an o-ring under each eyepiece to increase the eye-relief by roughly 3mm from all the way in/down(did the same thing to the EDG II). This made a huge difference for me. From the moment I swapped to the SF I felt I was able to find birds easier/faster AND to follow moving birds better/easier. Truly this was a better tool for this situation than the SV 8.5X42.....maybe better for ANY situation.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back