• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 15x60 BGAT* (1 Viewer)

If you are worried about paying too much then make a lowball offer. Seriously, it is the SELLER of this rare bin who will decide how much you will pay.
And make no mistake, these really are collector's bins. As I said in my post above, the performance of the 15x60 BGAT is certainly not any better than the Nikon 18x70 which sells new/used for $1200/$800. Those permanently attached rubber lens caps are pretty annoying too. But for the avid Zeiss collector, performance is rarely at the top of the list of benefits for owning. Also, market geography can make a big difference. Those are the reasons you see such a wide price range.

cheers,
Rick

Renze, have you reviewed your Zeiss 20x60S here?
Please do Renze! I know many including myself would like to read it.... I used a pair for one hunt and was generally impressed with it. I really liked the optics and thought they were as good as any on the market for "Big Glass" at the time.... I didn't like that I was very worried that I might damage a pair of $5000 bins, too the point where I had them on my mind as much as the hunt!

If you are worried about paying too much then make a lowball offer. Seriously, it is the SELLER of this rare bin who will decide how much you will pay.
And make no mistake, these really are collector's bins. As I said in my post above, the performance of the 15x60 BGAT is certainly not any better than the Nikon 18x70 which sells new/used for $1200/$800. Those permanently attached rubber lens caps are pretty annoying too. But for the avid Zeiss collector, performance is rarely at the top of the list of benefits for owning. Also, market geography can make a big difference. Those are the reasons you see such a wide price range.

cheers,
Rick

Agreed, I think your right Rick but this has been a very informative thread on the topic. I hope that my search may help someone else who may need reference on Ziess 15x60 B/GAT or GAT in the future... Maybe we can morph this into a Zeiss 15x60 history and reference thread? So any further info is appreciated... As for these 15x60's I think I will let him sit on them for a bit, but not too long, and then throw him a low ball offer?

serial numbers increase quickly with time : 648890 : 1994 - 2288091 : 1998 - 2658000 : 2003.
Jean-Charles

Jean-Charles,

Where did you get these serial numbers from?? The second number is the serial number of my 15x60 binoculars!!!!

I assume Jean-Charles saw your serial # in the pic you linked to near the end of the CN thread you posted in #17 above.

cheers,
Rick

Omid,

With some manipulation of the screen angle and brightness setting I can easily read the serial number in that photo on my iMac display screen.

Jean-Charles,

I enjoyed reading your recent thread about these binoculars at CN.

Henry

Don’t worry Omid ;)
As Henry Link said, the serial number is visible in your photo with some manipulations.
I can give my serial number if you want ;) : 2288637.

Thank you Henry. I have noticed several interesting threads here about measuring brightness that I must study one day.

Jean-Charles

Attachments

• Eyepeice 2.jpg
    Eyepeice 2.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 231
You guys are better than Sherlock Holmes!! I should be more careful when posting on this forum then.. :) :)

Anyway, it seems from the discussions on this thread that Zeiss uses a global serial number for all its binoculars. Is that right? Don't they number each model separately?

You guys are better than Sherlock Holmes!! I should be more careful when posting on this forum then.. :) :)

Anyway, it seems from the discussions on this thread that Zeiss uses a global serial number for all its binoculars. Is that right? Don't they number each model separately?

I think serial numbers are assigned to production runs, batches of different models, so ideally it is important to know the model + the serial number. For instance, if I refer to a 20x60S' serial number in connection with a 15x60 GAT one should be aware this is not really accurate. However, as I take it the bias could be hardly more than one or two years.

Renze

Renze, have you reviewed your Zeiss 20x60S here?
Renze have considered a review yet?

Well I want to thank all of you so much for you input on this thread! I learned a lot about this bin that I had seen but never owned.... I would like to have had the pair that I had inquired about but in the end I thought that $1000 was just a bit high for a 20 year old bin... I would have done it in a second if it had been the newer style but then again I probably would have had to wait in line! hahaha but in the end I decided to pass :(
In the end I think this was a highly informative thread though and thanks to all of you that replied with all your valuable knowledge I think it will be of use again to someone in the future???? Maybe me again? I'm still in the market for some "BIG" eyes!

i`m not sure if 1000$ is too much for a really good 15x60 GAT. At least in the astronomy there are people who think this is the best bino to observe the sky.
But 20years is just a long time for binos.
So, i think it`s difficult to say witout looking through.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back