• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around varadero (1 Viewer)

Going to the paradisus varedero in varedero in a few weeks anyone know of any good places for bird photography?

I found this nice pond from Boca de Camarioca. Planty of herons, waders, warblers etc.

Attachments

• CaptureBocadeCamarioca.jpg
    CaptureBocadeCamarioca.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Lammikko Boca de Camariocan laitamilla oli täynnä elämää.jpg
    Lammikko Boca de Camariocan laitamilla oli täynnä elämää.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 50
Recently back from two weeks holiday at the Melia Internacional on Varadero, hotel situated around a third of the way onto the peninsula. The plus points are that it is within 2 hours of Havana and also the same distance from Zapata, the premier birding site on the island.

Varadero itself is reasonably built up with mainly hotels and only really offers beach front birding plus your hotel’s grounds. There is a reserve towards the end of the peninsula but it doesn’t get favourable reviews. I saw 36 species on the peninsula itself and another couple of additions on a catamaran trip from the marina. By far the best birding day was a full day trip to Zapata.

Whilst I ended up with 70 species for our stay in Cuba and was happy enough with the limited birding I did (I was with non birders), I definitely wouldn’t choose Varadero as a birding venue, if I were to visit the island again.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back