• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding around Scarborough (1 Viewer)

SPF

Dear all,
I was wondering if anyone knew any places around Scarborough to have a couple of hours birding.

I'm going with the family and was wondering if they are any coastal paths etc to walk from the centre, or anything. My internet searches are sending me to Whitby and Robin Hood's Bay.

Kind regards

There are peregrines on the cliff along Marine Drive. Sometimes decent numbers of other birds on the sea here.
To the North of North Bay is Scalby Mills which again is good for shorebirds at the right time of the tide.
To the South of South Bay there is a path leading to Holbeck Car Park, good for loafing gulls, some scrub can harbour migrants.
Peasholm Park and the Open Air Theatre also get water birds on the lakes.
If you have a car there is the raptor viewpoint at Wykeham, well worth a visit. Take the A170 from Scarboro', turn right in Wykeham at the Downe Arms pub and follow the road for three miles. At the T junction take the left turn and look for the car park on your right after a couple of hundred yards.
The N Yorkshire Water Park has some decent birds on the pools and lakes, also plenty of wooded areas for other species. Again take A170 and look for Church Lane on your left between West Ayton and Wykeham.
Forge Valley is well worth a visit, From East Ayton take Castlegate and travel North into the valley, numerous parking spaces and walks along the way. There is a feeding station at one of the parking areas.

There are peregrines on the cliff along Marine Drive. Sometimes decent numbers of other birds on the sea here.
To the North of North Bay is Scalby Mills which again is good for shorebirds at the right time of the tide.
To the South of South Bay there is a path leading to Holbeck Car Park, good for loafing gulls, some scrub can harbour migrants.
Peasholm Park and the Open Air Theatre also get water birds on the lakes.
If you have a car there is the raptor viewpoint at Wykeham, well worth a visit. Take the A170 from Scarboro', turn right in Wykeham at the Downe Arms pub and follow the road for three miles. At the T junction take the left turn and look for the car park on your right after a couple of hundred yards.
The N Yorkshire Water Park has some decent birds on the pools and lakes, also plenty of wooded areas for other species. Again take A170 and look for Church Lane on your left between West Ayton and Wykeham.
Forge Valley is well worth a visit, From East Ayton take Castlegate and travel North into the valley, numerous parking spaces and walks along the way. There is a feeding station at one of the parking areas.
Thanks for the information.

Much appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back