• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I've got a screw loose! (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
Read what you will into the title :D

First had this problem back in Scotland. Something what sounds like a screw had come loose inside my 100-400mm and when you up end the lens you can hear it moving from one end to the other. After I got back back it stopped and seemed fine but just this wkend it's started again. Everything works exactly as it should though and the performance of the lens is unaffected (at least for the moment, he says nervously).

So with the lens out of warranty any repairs would have to be paid for. In theory it doesn't sound like an expensive job but can you ever really know? Also would be without the lens for who knows how long, turnaround I would hope to be little more than a week with two at the most but there's been some horror stories on here (mostly from Ian and his 40D ;) ).
I'd send it directly to Lehmans who should be able to give me a free quote before I authorise the repair at least. However, there's a trip planned to Bempton Cliffs at some point in the near future and then there's the August photo comp with prizes up for grabs and I haven't got anything I'm happy with for that (although Hell, snowball and chance spring to mind :-O) so it'd be sorely missed until after then. You know come to think of it does anyone know if I could leave it with Canon at the Birdfair for them to send off? Knowing what Canon are like I'm guessing no! :C

So the question right now, is it something that might cause further damage and as such I should just bite the bullet and get it off ASAP and pray to the photography gods that it neither takes too much time and/or money, it'd almost certainly miss Bempton though, or leave it for the time being. I've got my 200mm f2.8 to sort of fall back on but that's a last resort really.

Cheers for any input.
Adam

Adam.
Whilst the material is floating around (or bouncing) there is in my mind a risk that it may be causing minor damage to glass surfaces etc.
There is also to my mind a bigger risk that it may find it's way between two moving components and in effect sieze the lens up.
Either way, stop using it till you at least know what the object is.
Mike.

Read what you will into the title :D

First had this problem back in Scotland. Something what sounds like a screw had come loose inside my 100-400mm and when you up end the lens you can hear it moving from one end to the other. After I got back back it stopped and seemed fine but just this wkend it's started again. Everything works exactly as it should though and the performance of the lens is unaffected (at least for the moment, he says nervously).

So with the lens out of warranty any repairs would have to be paid for. In theory it doesn't sound like an expensive job but can you ever really know? Also would be without the lens for who knows how long, turnaround I would hope to be little more than a week with two at the most but there's been some horror stories on here (mostly from Ian and his 40D ;) ).
I'd send it directly to Lehmans who should be able to give me a free quote before I authorise the repair at least. However, there's a trip planned to Bempton Cliffs at some point in the near future and then there's the August photo comp with prizes up for grabs and I haven't got anything I'm happy with for that (although Hell, snowball and chance spring to mind :-O) so it'd be sorely missed until after then. You know come to think of it does anyone know if I could leave it with Canon at the Birdfair for them to send off? Knowing what Canon are like I'm guessing no! :C

So the question right now, is it something that might cause further damage and as such I should just bite the bullet and get it off ASAP and pray to the photography gods that it neither takes too much time and/or money, it'd almost certainly miss Bempton though, or leave it for the time being. I've got my 200mm f2.8 to sort of fall back on but that's a last resort really.

Cheers for any input.
Adam

Shake Rattle and Roll comes to mind, I know its me age, I will go back to sleep, with no good advise to give. :hippy:

Adam.
Whilst the material is floating around (or bouncing) there is in my mind a risk that it may be causing minor damage to glass surfaces etc.
There is also to my mind a bigger risk that it may find it's way between two moving components and in effect sieze the lens up.
Either way, stop using it till you at least know what the object is.
Mike.

Good advice:t:

Well I've sent it off today anyway. Spoke to Lehmanns and they too warned me of the danger that Mike has pointed out so I've just sent it off today with a guide price of £160 being quoted for the repair, repairs and servicing are more expensive for IS lenses I've just discovered. :eek!:

I don't know about that warranty thing but time is a critical factor here so I'm not going to kick up a fuss as I just want my lens back in full working order before the 27th. We'll see if they can but 10days is the usual turnaround time without any unforeseen complications. So finger's crossed!

At least I'll be able to have a good play with some digiscoping in the meantime. ;)

Just to update.

Recieved the lens back today but that's cos they had to replace the focussing unit which is apparently £88 on it's own! All in all it's set me back just the wrong side of £250! :(

This photography lark is a far too expensive way to pass the time! Anyone got any spare knitting needles? :-O

This photography lark is a far too expensive way to pass the time! Anyone got any spare knitting needles? :-O
If that's a straight swop for your lens I am sure you will get some takers. ;)

Sorry to hear about your problems. The trouble is, you can't fix it yourself so you are entirely at the mercy of the experts. Hopefully, it will be trouble free now and you will soon be posting some great photographs taken with it again.

Ron

Just to update.

Recieved the lens back today but that's cos they had to replace the focussing unit which is apparently £88 on it's own! All in all it's set me back just the wrong side of £250! :(

That's even worse than the bill I received for my car's MOT a couple of weeks ago! :eek!:

The wife's a good knitter but doesn't like birding. Can have her plus all her needles, wool etc for your lens. Sue says she'll need a photo before agreeing to swap though.

The wife's a good knitter but doesn't like birding. Can have her plus all her needles, wool etc for your lens. Sue says she'll need a photo before agreeing to swap though.

Reminds me of a tee shirt i bought in Portugal which had the legend
Wife wanted.
Must be able to bait hooks
Gut fish and have own boat
Please send photo of boat.

On a more serious note any information on Lehmans,address,contact no etc would be appreciated as I have a camera which needs some minor repairs.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back