• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flickers (1 Viewer)

BlueJaybob

In Colorado here there alot of flickers that come by each day to eat the suet. I whould like to build a nesting box for them but dont realy know how to make one. I am not sure what kind of flickers they are but I think they are red-shafted flickers but not positive. Well i guess my qustions are:

1. Any idea what kind of flickers they are?

2. How do i build a nesting box for them

3. What plants/food should i provide to attract them.

4. And do flickers even breed here

Thanks

1. You could get both red- and yellow-shafted depending on where you are in CO.

2. Can't help you there. Have you tried Google?

3. 40% of flickers' diet is ants. The rest are other ground- and tree-dwelling bugs, seeds but especially unshelled, roasted (but not salted) peanuts, and suet when provided. Our red-shafteds love crunchy peanut butter smeared on the bark of trees as a treat.

4. They may. I'm in northeast Arizona, and we have at least one breeding pair of red-shafted each year and I'm sure this is the case in CO as well. Most flickers, though, breed farther north during the summer.

I would urge you to invest in a good field guide, such as the Sibley Guide to Birds -- the big book -- or both the Eastern and Western versions that are both smaller. The "big book" combines both Eastern and Western North American species. In CO, again depending on where you are, you can get birds from both regions.

I have tried google and i did not find anthing. So about there diet I have some freazed crickets and some raw peanuts that i feed the jays but the jays are gone for this time of the year, could i feed them this on my deck???

Thanks

BlueJaybob said:
I have tried google and i did not find anthing. So about there diet I have some freazed crickets and some raw peanuts that i feed the jays but the jays are gone for this time of the year, could i feed them this on my deck???
Thanks
Which jays are gone? Both the Steller's and Western Scrubs are year-round residents in Colorado. Also, a strong word of caution about feeding raw peanuts to any birds: They can contain a fungus that produces a toxin highly dangerous to birds. Always use roasted (but unsalted) peanuts. Sorry, I don't know anything about frozen crickets, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try offering some.

flickers

I have only seen blue jays in Colorado and some gray jays up in the mountains but no scrub jays at all. I meant that i have roasted peanuts that arent salted. So i guess i will feed the flickers peanuts thanks. Oh and the crickets.

Thanks

Feed them suet! They love suet, when they can't find bugs, but if insects are available, you pretty much can't compete with that!

Attachments

• PC230082FlickerSuetCo.jpg
    PC230082FlickerSuetCo.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 141
I do feed them suet. I am going to make a box for them and i did find intructions on how to make one. I whould like to have a camera to watch them and i want to keep the prices low, any ideas???

Last edited:
BlueJaybob said:
I havent seen the flickers in a while exept two of them that come bye every day or so. were could they have gone???
Here in south-central PA, I haven't seen a flicker in over ten years (not that I've really been looking that hard). But, when I was younger and lived with my parents, we used to have flickers around our feeders and around our house all of the time. I'd always find flicker feathers laying around on the ground. I built a flicker house and mounted it at my parents house this winter. Hopefully, they will re-populate the area!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back