• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Far East Cruise Beijing to Singapore then on to Thailand (1 Viewer)

Thanks Stuart...I'm afraid there is one last episode still to read !
http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk

No doubt some readers will have wondered what on earth this bird light travel blog is doing on a Birdforum but I know that by far the majority have the same need to balance their holidays as I do so an insight into this kind of trip might be useful.
Without a shadow of doubt there are more opportunities on your average land based holiday than at sea, and a quick day visit can reveal very little too unless you pick specific targets such as bird reserves.
Also, we seem to split in to two types of birder, the lister and the photographer. To be honest, a hotel based holiday chosen in the right spot can be a photographers dream. The Gambia is my favourite. I am just as happy to find a few birds doing something interesting than lots of different species just sitting on a branch.
Even Karon Beach might have satisfied the latter had I had more time to stake out perches and had the right gear.
Still, I was happy to get shots of quite a lot of new species even if the photos are largely what I consider to be record shots.
As for Thailand, well our first visit confirmed one thing..I have a passion for glass noodles ! Can't wait to go back, this time in a much better birding location. It's already planned.
Happy Christmas all , thanks for commenting on my blog and may your own travel dreams come true in 2015.
Dave

Dave
Keep them coming, informative and interesting. Great read and images. Thank you for taking the time, especially important for those of us who can't travel to see and read reports like your.

All the best for the festive season, be in touch after and before your Gambia trip.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited:
Nice photo story, Dave!

Glad that you ticked couple of birds from my local patch. Very interesting pictures! The match making corner is a very hilarious one,Shanghai marriage is definitely not for the faintest of heart, especially with the family politics.
The opposite shore of the bund would have been a better choice, less crowd, 5 species of gulls n miscellaneous wagtails and still you get to see the financial district. I know its bit late but jus in case if you are planning a future trip.

Really enjoyed reading your blog and your photos (esp. your Far East Cruise) ! Fun reading and some nice birds along the way.

You don't live too far from my parents in Pwllglas so it was also very interesting reading your trip reports of North Wales for when I pop back there (rarely). Last time, even though was in the depths of a very cold winter, I still picked up a few nice birds in the woods around that area (at least for someone who has lived in the Far East for the past 20 years !) ; Black Redstart, Willow Tit & a large flock of Long Tailed Tits amongst them.

N.B. China's largest RMB note is RMB100 ;) There are higher value 'fake notes' that are used for offerings and also burning, in some Buddhist ceremonies.

http://www.chinatoday.com/fin/mon/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back