• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Far East Cruise Beijing to Singapore then on to Thailand (1 Viewer)

Dave Williams

Life is about compromise. You can't always take the holiday of your choice so sometimes we have to consider our non birding partners.
This was such a trip !
I have only ever been on one cruise holiday before, a Transatlantic trip on board the ill fated Marco Polo earlier this year. On our way home we were caught in an hurricane force 12 gale in the English Channel approaches. A passenger was killed and one seriously injured when waves smashed through the restaurant window.
We weren't put off ! This time however, we were sailing on a huge ship in comparison. More stable at sea but with 3000 passengers I wondered what an earth it would be like. My preconceived ideas were not completely positive by any means.
The one thing I did know was not to expect too much wildlife, either at sea or in land.My vision of steamy jungle and exotic birds up the Amazon last time were a long way from reality, so this time around with largely urban city calls I expected little.
How did it turn out ?
My exploits are beginning to reveal themselves here on my blog :- http://davewilliamsnaturephotography.blogspot.co.uk
So if you are bored or even considering a cruise holiday, hope you enjoy.
cheers Dave

Never been to Busan (other than the airport), but been to Korea a bunch of times. Love the market shots. It can be a bit hectic, but you're right they are well ahead of us technologically.

Looking forward to the rest of the report, Dave.

Thank you, Claire and Dave, for a really excellent travelogue.
Your pictures help us see the places and the people, not just the highlights.
I like the Blue Rock Thrush, but find the market and people photos even better.

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it. So far not too many birds...but things might get a bit better as we go along!
I read other peoples blogs for inspiration and it's my way of paying back.

Cruising

Enjoying the report. We have never been on a really large cruise ship only large Ferries for a couple of days but it doesn't appear too busy or crowded.
If you are now into crusing with varied a itinerary with things for a non birding partner to do see we would recommend Galapagos and Svalsbard cruises and if you haven't been put off by the previous weather experience a trip from Ushaiha to Falkands / South Georgia and Antarctica, all would give fabulous scenery, interesting history and wildlife with great photo opportunities.

Enjoying the report. We have never been on a really large cruise ship only large Ferries for a couple of days but it doesn't appear too busy or crowded.
If you are now into crusing with varied a itinerary with things for a non birding partner to do see we would recommend Galapagos and Svalsbard cruises and if you haven't been put off by the previous weather experience a trip from Ushaiha to Falkands / South Georgia and Antarctica, all would give fabulous scenery, interesting history and wildlife with great photo opportunities.

Thanks for the comments, nice to know someone else is enjoying the read.
I must admit, cruising isn't my perfect holiday by any means but when we have others to consider it does offer a good alternative.
The advantages of a big ship balance with those of a smaller ship.
We had considered going on the Marco Polo again as it has a South America and Falklands trip in 2016. At 52 days it offers incredible value but on balance we have decided that it's too small for such a duration. A small boat can get to places a big one can't but the facilities on the M.P. were so limited. Sitting with the same people at dinner time for such a long time might prove to be very trying. Finding a bit of space on deck equally so. We found on our Amazon trip a sunbed was an impossibility unless you lay out like sardines.On the Sapphire Princess we had lots of deck space to ourselves, even when the sun was at it's best. A multitude of eating options and bars meant the evenings were as varied as they would be on land.
I would love to visit the Galapagos and Svalsbard as well as the Falklands, Alaska, Iceland and Greenland. One day perhaps.
As for cruising versus pelagic trips, from my limited experience no matter how big or small the cruise liner is, it's not the same as being in a small fast boat.
A voyage across the Atlantic had more mammal opportunities but less birds than the one in the China Seas..but I haven't reported that yet !
cheers Dave

Hi Dave

One day I'll get round to completing my Buenos Aires to Antarctica via Falklands "big ship cruise" trip report - the first few days are on BF, just not had time to do the meaty bit yet - which could make you reconsider the pelagic bit? I'm hoping to do the write-up over Xmas if time permits.

Hi Dave

One day I'll get round to completing my Buenos Aires to Antarctica via Falklands "big ship cruise" trip report - the first few days are on BF, just not had time to do the meaty bit yet - which could make you reconsider the pelagic bit? I'm hoping to do the write-up over Xmas if time permits.

Looking forward to reading it, I have heard the wildlife watching down there can be amazing.
I have just completed my last section, the next might give a bit more detail of the ship and maybe some birds too... but don't expect too much !

Nice shot of the Vega Gull Dave and good to see you winkling out birds in some of the world's busiest cities. Looking forward to seeing what you thought of Hong Kong too!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike. I think what always surprises me is the lack of seabirds around the ports. On this trip Busan was the exception, maybe it's because of the absence of a fishing fleet elsewhere but here at home cities like Liverpool have a reasonable presence especially of Black Headed Gull and Lesser Black Backed and in summer, Terns. Tianjin(Beijing) was totally devoid of anything other than Feral Pigeon and House Sparrow, Nagasaki a few Black Kites, Shanghai I didn't see anything although in the city centre there were unidentified gulls on the river along with a few Little Egrets which I hadn't expected. Out in the China Seas, again not a gull was to be seen although as will be revealed, there were a couple of surprises !

An interesting comparison of the large and small ships - and great to see you found some birds. December is still migration season on this flyway - and that Watercock is definitely the best of the lot! There was lots of discussion in HK about ship-assisted migrants last winter following an influx of Varied Tits so tis interesting to see what you've picked up in the last few days. That Daurian Redstart pic is also a cracker - it really brings out the character of the species.

Any idea where you were when you saw the Red-footed Boobies? They are pretty rare in Hong Kong - around ten records ever - and I have a big soft spot for them as I got HK's second ever from the window of my flat on the south side of HK island one astonishing morning some 15 years ago!

Birds you might see in HK waters could include White-bellied Sea Eagle, Reef Egret and lots of Black Kite, while Black-crowned Night Herons are around at dusk , plus Great and Little Egret and Grey Herons might all be seen. I'd be happy to let you know what birds to look out for from any excursions/tours you have planned.

As for cetaceans - look out for Finless Porpoise in the approaches to Hong Kong, and if you have a tour to Lantau Island in your itinerary It would be well worth taking one of the boats that goes out looking for Chinese White Dolphin.

Cheers
Mike

PS your drongo is Black Drongo - and a rather late migrant.

Last edited:
I spotted the first Red Footed Booby about 17 hours south of Hong Kong which I guess would between 300-350 miles away as the ship seemed to average about 20 knots.
One of my favourite birds is the Gannet and on two occasions in the last few years we have had them fishing just a few metres off shore here in Llandudno so I understand where you are coming from Mike !
My Hong Kong report is coming up next so I'm sure it will interest you !
cheers dave

Interesting stuff Dave, the Watercock pic is great. The Mynas you have photo`d in Singapore are Javan Mynas, with the exception of the Hill Myna in the tree.

Interesting stuff Dave, the Watercock pic is great. The Mynas you have photo`d in Singapore are Javan Mynas, with the exception of the Hill Myna in the tree.

Thanks for that, that's another lifer for me !
I haven't got Javan in my India guide book and they looked just like Jungle to me

Thank you and Claire for an excellent trip report!

A glimpse at life on the other end of the world.
The effectiveness of local governments is perhaps illustrated by the quality of the garbage collection. At least that is one conclusion one might be tempted to draw.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back