• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peacock (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Saw a Peacock butterfly out today at dinnertime,(Penshaw, Co.Durham) seemed to be flying strongly & eventually went off over a house rooftop.

Cant remember seeing a Butterfly in December before.....

Stevie.

That seems pretty amazing in December, Stevie. I saw a Bumble bee flying amongst the elaeagnus in my garden yesterday which seemed fairly unusual too.

Nerine

Had a Red Admiral rest on the shed wall in full sunshine a few days ago and remember seeing one in Sidmouth in December of last year or the year before. Both really surprised me.

A couple of days ago a Comma emerged on the window frame outside the living room, I presumed because of the heat of the fire inside. I didn't think it would last long but flew off strongly and Googling around I read that they hibernate over winter 'til Spring.
Peacocks also hibernate and I've found a number of them in the unused part of the house. Maybe the ones we see flying have been distubed or just looking for a nicer place.

Roll on Spring!

Jen :hippy:

Fuchsia said:
A couple of days ago a Comma emerged on the window frame outside the living room, I presumed because of the heat of the fire inside. I didn't think it would last long but flew off strongly and Googling around I read that they hibernate over winter 'til Spring.
Peacocks also hibernate and I've found a number of them in the unused part of the house. Maybe the ones we see flying have been distubed or just looking for a nicer place.

Roll on Spring!

Jen :hippy:

Hello Jen :hi:
Many butterflies and other insect species that hibernate in the adult form can have their hibernation period abruptly terminated by either a natural or un-natural rise in temperatures.

Prior to the coming of modern man, such species would select caves, holes in trees, etc., for a hibernation site. Man has created alternative sites by building houses, sheds, garages, greenhouses. These appeal to insects looking for a hibernation site. Unfortunately with modern house heating systems those that have hibernated in a house will be awoken early when the heating comes on during the colder months. Similarly sheds, garages and greenhouses can warm up, even in winter is there is a few hours of even weak sunshine.

Many of these insects that are awoken early will probably die unless they quickly find an alternative site which is really suitable for them to complete their hibernation.

Over the past fourty or so years I have seen several butterfly, bee and wasp species brought out of hibernation in December and January.

Even if a 'good site' is found, there is frequently a very high mortality rate. For a ten year period I kept observations on an old wartime 'pillbox' which was very popular as a hibernation site for Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock butterflies. There were frequently over a hundred specimens hibernating in the corners where the walls joined the roof. Visits in early June would reveal several dozen specimens still clinging onto their resting place, all of them dead. It is likely that the highest mortality during an insects life is during hibernation. Many an Autumn has seen large numbers of the two above named species, yet the following spring they can be very scarce indeed.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back