• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Ruddy breasted crake? December in Songkhla, S Thailand (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I have only this one photo but it is it possible that it, the photo, is of a ruddy breasted crake? No white on neck or wing or rump and darkish bill so I think can exclude waterhen, moorehen and coot. That would only leave ruddy breasted crake I believe. And the white barred undertail covers(?) would seem to support that. I did see it quite clearly (without bins) in the open before it took off and it was quite "hen" like in posture and dark all over.
Photo taken at Hat Yai Water Treatment Plant, a series of dikes and marshes and ponds, in Songkhla province, Southern Thailand, around 9 am December 16, 2023.
thanks in advance for all comments and critiques.
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1c6c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1c6c.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 68
I see yellowish legs and no undertail barring. I also see some whitish feathers in a line in the flank and a greenish bill. I find interpreting the tail feather colours difficult.

The yellowish feet mean this must be immature if it is ruddy-breasted. I think the image is more consistent with immature moorhen though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back