• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss 15x60 vs. swarovski 15x56 (1 Viewer)

You'll probably have a hard time finding someone who has used both of those :). I have used the Swarovski 15x56 SLC .... and it is stellar .... as one would expect.

-Garth

A few years ago Astronomy magazine compared a whole group of larger binoculars including the Zeiss 15x60, Fujinon 16x70 (a known benchmark of excellent quality), Nikon 18x70 etc. Unfortunately the Swarovski 15x56 wasn't in the group (although there's a review on cloudynights.com).
The Zeiss came out on the top of the pile on all counts including sharpness, contrast, lack of distortion and viewing comfort (even though it was the most expensive ;) )

Check the minimal IPD on the Swarovski, especially if your eyes are narrowly set. The nature of roof prism design with such large objectives may not allow a reasonable low setting for some of us. This is not an inherent problem for Porro binoculars like the Zeiss.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :egghead:

Hello Solentbirder,

"The Zeiss came out on the top of the pile on all counts including sharpness, contrast, lack of distortion and viewing comfort (even though it was the most expensive."

Well, I should hope so.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Much as I would like to love the Zeiss 15x60, it just did not work for me.
Too heavy and too small a FoV, suitable more for observations from a lawn chair or an elevated shooting stand.
As a walkaround birding tool, it would take more practice than I can give it before it would work.

Hello Jerry,

It appeared in my alerts. Apparently, Thutmosis liked my old post, only this afternoon, so I added a thought.

Hello Étudiant,

I thoroughly agree. Put the Zeiss on a tripod or use it in a hunting hide for best results.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Arthur:

As we know the old format here, offered a warning if you were about to respond to a post that was over a year old.
I did think that was too severe. So, I think that is just fine to bring up older posts, lots of useful info in those.

So, I will give my thoughts, I have owned several 15x56 types over the years. I had both versions of the Docter Nobilem 15x60,
and thought they were very good. But compared to the Swarovski 15x56 Neu, they were behind. So I feel the Zeiss being
similar and because of its older coatings is not up to par to the Swarovski, especially the current HD 15x56 HD.

Jerry

I have an old but completely overhauled by Zeiss 15x60.

It is a lovely binocular and the field is certainly large enough for me.

But on the recent comet Neowise the glare near a street light was awful.
I have not tried a Swarovski 15x56 or a late Zeiss 15x60.

Regards,
B.

Here is an article from Company 7, a Zeiss US seller, the last production of the Zeiss 15x60 was in 1998.

The article will not load properly here, so you will have to do a search.

Jerry

Last edited:
Here is an article from Company 7, a Zeiss US seller, the last production of the Zeiss 15x60 was in 1998.

The article will not load properly here, so you will have to do a search.

Jerry
The info is not precise. In 1998 Zeiss did stop the 1560 production.
But in 2002, Zeiss again briefly start a one-off new run, but soon stopped again. The serial number is 7-digit instead of 6 of the 1998 version.

Hi All, first post, like this forum a lot!

I have a beautifull 15x60 BGA/T for 8 months now and I just love it. Mainly use it stationary on a tripod from my house to look at boats and i take her occasionally in my car when driving to the sea. Can be easily used for longer periods hand held when sitting.

Contacted Zeiss Sportoptics in Germany after I bought it to ask them for the year of production and warranty, mine is from 2002.

Answer from Zeiss:
"The latest version of 15x60 was produced from 1992-2003.
The warranty for the binocular 15x60 from 2002 is 30 years.
In the first five years after purchase we will pay for the cost of labour and materials.
In the following 25 years we will only pay for the cost of the materials which have to replaced under the guarantee. The cost of labour will be invoiced separately."

Cheers

Hi All, first post, like this forum a lot!

I have a beautifull 15x60 BGA/T for 8 months now and I just love it. Mainly use it stationary on a tripod from my house to look at boats and i take her occasionally in my car when driving to the sea. Can be easily used for longer periods hand held when sitting.

Contacted Zeiss Sportoptics in Germany after I bought it to ask them for the year of production and warranty, mine is from 2002.

Answer from Zeiss:
"The latest version of 15x60 was produced from 1992-2003.
The warranty for the binocular 15x60 from 2002 is 30 years.
In the first five years after purchase we will pay for the cost of labour and materials.
In the following 25 years we will only pay for the cost of the materials which have to replaced under the guarantee. The cost of labour will be invoiced separately."

Cheers
So yours is from the last run, congratulation.
The 1560 bgat is truely a gem in the historty of binoculars.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back