• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32...not very impressive (1 Viewer)

Ruger270

Well, I took the plunge and ordered a set of demo Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32. Unfortunately my first impressions were not as positive as I had hoped for.

Opening the shipping box revealed a beautiful, full-color box, and the binocular was nestled protectively in firm blue foam. As I retrieved the binoculars from their bed of blue foam I heard a rubber squeaking noise, almost as if the armor was flexing and moving. Upon closer examination the armor WAS loose. The armoring was so loose that slight pressure deformed the rubber around the objectives causing large gaps to appear (see photo #1). I then proceeded with a closer inspection of the entire binocular, and found that the armor was poorly fit with jagged edges (see photo #2), and there was a piece of lint trapped between some of the interior objective lenses (see photo #3).

To remain objective in my critique, I will admit that the focus knob was very smooth. The optics also were bright, CA well controlled and the sweet spot encompassed roughly 75% of the FOV.

Is this the norm for the Conquest HD line? Does anyone else have armor this loose and finished so poorly? Have there been other instances of contamination inside of Conquest binoculars, sandwiched between lenses? I can certainly understand that a lemon will sneak through, but the multiple issues with this particular pair of binoculars makes me leery of trying another Conquest. I have owned several Zeiss products in the past, and usually they were of the highest quality. In fact, they were the Conquest line of rifle scopes. However, the multitude of problems with the pair of binoculars I received has me wondering what is going on with Zeiss, and questioning if I can afford to gamble with their products in the future.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 488
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 482
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 487
Last edited:
These types of problems make me suspicious that Zeiss is taking great advantage of the rules governing the use of "Made in Germany." I'm suspicious, not accusatory.

I would send them back or better yet get ahold Zeiss directly,
let them inspect them.
I'm sure they don't want demos like that floating around.

Bryce...

None of the problems pictured appear to be caused by mere demonstration.

That is to say, ill-fitting armoring, rough edges on armoring, and internally-trapped dust particles do not appear to me to be the kinds of things normally caused by someone examining binoculars for possible purchase.

I've examined more than a few and never caused that kind of damage (or, for that matter, any damage at all).

It would be helpful if you would let us know who's foisting such binoculars onto the public as demonstrators.

Mike

I don't want to throw any companies under the bus just yet. I will be in contact with the company and Zeiss, and see what I learn.

Ruger, I work for ZEISS North America, call the customer service department and relay the situation to them. (800-441-3005) The most important thing they need is the serial number of the bino located underneath on the hinge. In this way we can track the history of it, see when and who it was sold to in terms of a dealer as a demo/refurb, when it was refurbed, etc. Also please advise which dealer you purchased it from. Any further images of the box, etc. may be helpful.

Most or our refurbs start with product that is lightly to moderatly handled to begin with, we do not have an extensive overhaul program so the armor situation is especially troubling.

Also, the hinge cover shown in image #2 typically has the the ZEISS stylized Z logo. This is applied to the cover itself and is not easy to loose on this model bino.

We will get to the bottom of it.

Best Regards, Rich Moncrief

Ruger, I work for ZEISS North America, call the customer service department and relay the situation to them. (800-441-3005) The most important thing they need is the serial number of the bino located underneath on the hinge. In this way we can track the history of it, see when and who it was sold to in terms of a dealer as a demo/refurb, when it was refurbed, etc. Also please advise which dealer you purchased it from. Any further images of the box, etc. may be helpful.

Most or our refurbs start with product that is lightly to moderatly handled to begin with, we do not have an extensive overhaul program so the armor situation is especially troubling.

Also, the hinge cover shown in image #2 typically has the the ZEISS stylized Z logo. This is applied to the cover itself and is not easy to loose on this model bino.

Thanks Rich. I will give them a call tomorrow.

I understand not wishing to throw any company under the bus, but sunlight is still the best disinfectant. I hope you will keep us updated.

I'd be surprised if that is really a Zeiss.

Well, I heard the Chinese were good at making copies of name brand items, but they messed up on this one! Ugh.

Glad Rich chimed in here with helpful info. Zeiss will probably send you a new sample, because this one is way beyond the minimum wear and tear you would expect from a demo, it's even missing the "Z" logo on the end cap!

Good Luck! Let us know how make out.

Brock

Hello Waxwingz. Can you confirm that the hinge cover shown in Ruger's second picture is supposed to have a logo? I bought a demo 8x32 two weeks ago from Camerland, and my hinge cover matches Ruger's. I've attached my own pic. As you can see, my armor also shows a little fraying at that location, but I have not considered it to be anything more than a minor cosmetic defect - not worth servicing. I'd be shocked if mine were counterfeit. Not just because I trust Cameraland, but also because this is a really, really good bin.

Attachments

• DSCN1784.JPG
    DSCN1784.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 328
This is the end cap logo on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32.

Sometimes binocular end caps become loose and can fall off.

I have never experienced this with a Zeiss but it has happened to me with a Nikon ; Nikon customer service sent a replacement screw in end cap, it was unbranded and when I enquired about that they sent a foil logo that I could stick onto the end cap. To be fair it was a discontinued model, but I can't honestly see that happening with Zeiss.

Last edited:
These types of problems make me suspicious that Zeiss is taking great advantage of the rules governing the use of "Made in Germany." I'm suspicious, not accusatory.

Well Stelmo, you wouldn't want this standard of manufacture coming out of any factory whether in Germany, Japan, China, Indonesia or wherever.

Lee

I have an email from ZEISS Wetzlar stating unequivocably that the Conquest HD is made in Germany and I have no reason to doubt it.

There is a new corporate identity scheme which recently came into force which means that most new Zeiss product only carry one logo.

In the case of the Conquest HD the only logo they now carry is the blue Zeiss Shield.

Early models had the Zeiss "prism" design on the hinge but this has been deleted on later production models and the cover is now blank.

The blank cover is nothing to worry about at all !!!!!

@Samandag…. I have no doubt you have an email from Zeiss that states Conquest binoculars are made in Germany and that Zeiss made no unlawful statement whatsoever. The point is, as long as Zeiss complies with the current rules for placing the "Made in Germany" phrase on products, it can (and will) do so.

The underlying rules, however, likely permit parts (e.g., screws, glues, glass) and even sub-assemblies to be made in other countries (e.g., China).

It's my position, that when a company starts outsourcing major components to China (and some other Pacific Rim countries) and still label products "Made in Germany" or "Made in U.S.A.," things like Ruger's experience are bound to happen.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but it is starting to look like it. I'm really interested in how this turns out. You see, I like Zeiss products immensely and have use them for many years.

Mike

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back