• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions about Conquest HD 8x42 binoculars replacement longer eye-cups (3 Viewers)

Wilbr

United States
I have a pair of Conquest HD 8x42 binoculars. I tried to put the replacement longer eye-cups that Zeiss sent to me on my binoculars, but I cannot completely retract those eye-cups to my binoculars. There are gaps in between. Are they supposed to be like that? I tried to contact their customer service, but I did not receive a reply. I have attached photos in here. Many thanks.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29
Yes, that's how the replacement eyecups are, stay out more than the originals in the initial position!

Thanks a lot for your help. Now I know they are supposed to be like that :) I think I will use the original one because I am worried about dust getting into the eyepiece lens.

Thanks a lot for your help. Now I know they are supposed to be like that :) I think I will use the original one because I am worried about dust getting into the eyepiece lens.
Don’t worry about dust getting in. If they work better for you, use them , that’s what their for.. You won’t have any issues, and if you ever do for any reason Zeiss will take of it. That’s why we spend the money we do on binoculars like these. Enjoy them.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your advice, and I will definitely enjoy using these binoculars. It's great to know that Zeiss stands behind their products and will take care of any issues if they arise.

Thank you for letting me know that the optics are sealed. I'm glad to hear that :) Maybe Zeiss can design some universal longer eye cups to help customers? I am not an expert, just wondering :unsure:

Thank you, Paul. I appreciate your advice, and I will definitely enjoy using these binoculars. It's great to know that Zeiss stands behind their products and will take care of any issues if they arise.
No they do not! I have Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and have sent them back for repairs 8 times in 11 years. I have asked for a replacement pair and they will not oblige. So yes they fix the eyecup temporarily until they malfunction again. That is not my idea of taking care of an issue.

Don’t worry about dust getting in. If they work better for you, use them , that’s what their for.. You won’t have any issues, and if you ever do for any reason Zeiss will take of it. That’s why we spend the money we do on binoculars like these. Enjoy them.

Paul
I disagree. I have had nothing but trouble with eyecup malfunctions on the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42. Zeiss refuses to replace them. I am SO frustrated!

No they do not! I have Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 and have sent them back for repairs 8 times in 11 years. I have asked for a replacement pair and they will not oblige. So yes they fix the eyecup temporarily until they malfunction again. That is not my idea of taking care of an issue.
What exactly is breaking on your eyecups 8 times? I’m confused , they’re plastic, they screw off and you screw the free new ones on.

I’d have to say you’re very consistent and have a heck of a lot more patience than I would have. I would’ve gave up after the fifth time and sixth year 😆.

What exactly is breaking on your eyecups 8 times? I’m confused , they’re plastic, they screw off and you screw the free new ones on.

I’d have to say you’re very consistent and have a heck of a lot more patience than I would have. I would’ve gave up after the fifth time and sixth year 😆.
I am not doing an eyecup exchange that I have seen mentioned elsewhere, i.e. old models had shorter eye cups so Zeiss sent out longer ones.
The eyecup just screws off completely and does not engage the mechanism that moves the eyecup in & out.
Patience is not a virtue of mine. Stupidity is the factor at play here. These are nice bins when the eyecups work. But I am so annoyed right now that they malfunctioned yet again on a major birding trip to southeast AZ.
Long live Nikon Monarchs!!

I find I have to tighten the eyecups in “just enough”, so I can use the extending mechanism without them unscrewing, but not too hard to I can’t get them off again. I am also careful to slowly extend them so I don’t try unscrewing past the 4th click, so they don’t come off. Very nice views from a solid pair of binos.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back