• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone using the new Leica Trinovid HD? (1 Viewer)

6130rm, post 20,
That the FL is better than the Conquest HD or the Trinovid HD is not so strange, since both are made in Japan with specifactions that are not meant to be competitive with the top class. They are especially made to make it possible to sell them at a lower price level and they are not meant to compete with the top level binoculars I think.
Gijs van Ginkel

6130rm

I don't think you can make big sweeping statements about alpha vs mid-priced.

I don't think of FL as yesterday's design optically, I think it is still very competitive but when discussing bins at this price level it is like talking about wine. Everybody has the favourite flavour and it is not a case of being right or wrong but what is right for you.

I would still put FL in the top 3 for control of CA for example and I like its colour and sharpness. But others prefer the warmer view of Leica or sharpness closer to the edge of the FOV from Swarovski.

Lee

I don't think of FL as yesterday's design optically
...and in their current Nx32 formats they are still the current Zeiss design. Not sure how much longer they'll be available, and I suspect they're still current because, despite the age of the design, they're still pretty good. If you like the smaller FLs then now might be the time to buy. If you don't then look elsewhere (I like the UVHD+ in 8x32 but can't quite live with the eye relief).

...Mike

Conquest is an excellent instrument but if you can find a good FL then go for the FL, it is significantly better.

Lee

Assuming your are still talking about the HD, I'm not sure I can agree.

I have compared both [Conquest HD and FL] extensively and find they have a mix of strengths and weaknesses.

The HD has a bigger sweetspot and is sharper to the edge, has great sharpness [a match] and better contrast than my FL. The FL is brighter, a bit more colour neutral [whiter whites] and a bit better CA control. Neither excel in their handling of stray light.

I actually find the focus ''snap'' better on the HD - instantly sharp with no fiddling to get it perfect. I think they are both very good and, on price, the HD holds its own easily.

Assuming your are still talking about the HD, I'm not sure I can agree.

I have compared both [Conquest HD and FL] extensively and find they have a mix of strengths and weaknesses.

The HD has a bigger sweetspot and is sharper to the edge, has great sharpness [a match] and better contrast than my FL. The FL is brighter, a bit more colour neutral [whiter whites] and a bit better CA control. Neither excel in their handling of stray light.

I actually find the focus ''snap'' better on the HD - instantly sharp with no fiddling to get it perfect. I think they are both very good and, on price, the HD holds its own easily.

I agree with just about everything you say James. I guess I mark the FL up significantly for its CA control and brightness. On a personal level (as opposed to recommending to other folks) I have a big soft spot for Conquest 8x32 as you know, simply because of its focus speed which is so right for getting on close stuff and then distant subjects and it just feels so right in the hand, better in this respect than FL.

Lee

Well...
I have ordered the second hand Victory FL for a price about 10% over what a new pair of the Leica Trinovid HD cost in the local store. If I manage, I will compare the FLs with the HDs in the store when I receive them. If there is a huge difference to the advantage of the HDs I can still return the FLs (loosing the shipping cost).
It is the only way I can make a side-by-side comparison as the FLs are no longer available in shops here. I was inclined towards the FLs as I am so found of my Dialyt 7x42, also something in the design appealed to me, and the construction with the A-K prisms. I have read every review and user opinion I can find. But I confess I buy them without even having had a pair in my hands...

I had a chance to find the new Trinovid HD, in a sporting goods store, it seems it took a while
for stocks to arrive.

I was impressed about the quality and feel of the armor and handling, and the focuser was very smooth and
nice. I was not able to check out the optics, inside a store setting, so no comment about that.

Jerry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back