• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica trinovid HD 8x42 question (1 Viewer)

asr3510

United States
Hey everyone, first post here but lurking for a bit.

I just picked up a pair of the Leica Trinovid HD 8x42, used from BH photo

They look great my only concern is the focus wheel feels a bit spongy and has a drop of play.

I’m not sure if this is normal or not for the trinovids.

Not sure if I should send them back within the return window or not.

Looking for some feedback from people who have these bin before?

Ty

Welcome to the forum. I have experience with the Leica Trinovid HD. I expect the one you
purchased used from B&H may have suffered from some issues. So, if it does meet your
needs, then return it. You do need to be pleased with your purchase.
Jerry

the focus wheel feels a bit spongy and has a drop of play.
The focus wheel on my Trinovid HD 8x42 does in fact also feel slightly spongy, and I consider it typical for the model (different focuser design than the UVs). It should not have play, though. But: are you sure it‘s play and not just a small amount of travel with less resistance in the focus wheel (which would be part of the sponginess). If it‘s still play, you should send it in.

The focus wheel on my Trinovid HD 8x42 does in fact also feel slightly spongy, and I consider it typical for the model (different focuser design than the UVs). It should not have play, though. But: are you sure it‘s play and not just a small amount of travel with less resistance in the focus wheel (which would be part of the sponginess). If it‘s still play, you should send it in.
Thank You and this helpful, I’ll have to use them over the weekend and make that call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back