• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid HD appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

mgp13

Australia
Hi all, just thought I'd drop an appreciation thread for the Trinovid HD, which I have owned in 10x42 guise for nearly four years. I recently upgraded to my fantasy pair of binoculars, the Zeiss Victory SF, and I have nothing to hide when I say they are now my very favourite binoculars.

However, I could not bring myself to sell the Trinovid HD and instead I've kept them as a second pair of binoculars. That is for several reasons, not least of all being the fact I've loved and enjoyed them for close to four years, but also because they are the most well-built binoculars I have ever laid my hands on. They have somehow not aged visibly in the slightest despite what I've put them through, and their solid construction still feels as reassuring as it did on the first day I held them. Honestly it is no exaggeration to say the Trinovid HD's build quality is about as good as build quality can possibly get. This makes them a timeless and indestructible classic. Other binocular makers would do well to try to emulate Leica in this regard.

They've offered me a beautiful view of hundreds of bird species since I bought them and given that they still look brand new after all this time I can't possibly sell them. I actually had to send the Victory SFs back for replacement and during that time I went back to using the Trinovid HD. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to get used to them again after how astonishingly good the Victorys turned out to be, but instead I was reminded of what a beautiful pair of binoculars the Trinovid HDs are. I almost feel bad for upgrading when they leave absolutely nothing to be desired.

I may adore the Victory SF but I still have so much love and respect for these Leicas. They truly exceeded my expectations and they've earned a permanent place in my inventory.

Years ago I used a Uvid HD+ in 7x42 guise for 4 years. It was excellent. These days I use slimmer and lighter weight binos, 30 and 32mm.

I have a Trinovid HD 8x32 which I acquired in April of this year. I thought it would be a backup bino to my 8x30 as I normally prefer compact and light weight. However the Trinovid has become my primary bino despite it being bigger and heavier.

Lee’s wife has the 8x32 Trinovid HD too. Lee said she described it as “friendly” when she first looked through it and eventually began to use it more than her Ultravid 8x32. I think her description sums it up well for me. It’s very user friendly. it works very well with my eyeglasses, the focuser is super smooth and diopter simple and easy to use. It has surprisingly good ergonomics. I was worried about the narrow IPD range but it’s not an issue. I was also concerned about its relatively narrow FOV after using wide FOV bins for some years. It really hasn’t made a big difference in practical use and it wasn’t as much of an adjustment as I imagined it would be.

The image it renders makes me feel happy. The colors are beautiful, it’s bright and quite sharp showing very good detail. I haven’t had the issues with CA as some have reported here in the forum. I noticed it when I tested the bino the day of purchase but rarely see it during normal use.

This binocular doesn’t get much attention here. It doesn’t have the grande specs of other quality brands. It’s not perfect but it is “friendly”.

btw, Lee also has the Trin HD in 8x32. Lee and his wife use it frequently for its close focusing ability.

Last edited:
While I've tried the old Trinovid (BA) and the new Trinovid ("Retrovid"), as well as the Ultravid in many formats, I've never tried the Trinovid HD (or the previous "new" Trinovid, withouth the HD but with similar body style) and I think I know one possible reason. I mainly buy 2nd hand... and for some reason I don't see many Trinovid HD for sale on the 2nd hand market, and I find this remarkable. I see many Zeiss Conquest, some Swarovski CL (to name some similarly priced competitors of the 2nd tier range of top brands). I don't know if this could be due to low selling numbers or... maybe this is because owners are so happy with them that they simply won't let them go? :)

Earlier this autumn I had the opportunity to test the Trinovid 8x42 and also compare it with the Zeiss SFL 8x40.
I then thought the SFL 8x40 was better by a margin that seemed greater than the difference in price.
Have I been misled by the initial impression of a whiter and wider image with the Zeiss? Have I just not learned to appreciate the better color reproduction and contrast of the Leica?
I know these things is individual and different persons have different color vision, so there is no absolute truth.
But do you, who use and really like Trinovid, have any point of view about my wondering?

Hi all, just thought I'd drop an appreciation thread for the Trinovid HD, which I have owned in 10x42 guise for nearly four years. I recently upgraded to my fantasy pair of binoculars, the Zeiss Victory SF, and I have nothing to hide when I say they are now my very favourite binoculars.

However, I could not bring myself to sell the Trinovid HD and instead I've kept them as a second pair of binoculars. That is for several reasons, not least of all being the fact I've loved and enjoyed them for close to four years, but also because they are the most well-built binoculars I have ever laid my hands on. They have somehow not aged visibly in the slightest despite what I've put them through, and their solid construction still feels as reassuring as it did on the first day I held them. Honestly it is no exaggeration to say the Trinovid HD's build quality is about as good as build quality can possibly get. This makes them a timeless and indestructible classic. Other binocular makers would do well to try to emulate Leica in this regard.

They've offered me a beautiful view of hundreds of bird species since I bought them and given that they still look brand new after all this time I can't possibly sell them. I actually had to send the Victory SFs back for replacement and during that time I went back to using the Trinovid HD. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to get used to them again after how astonishingly good the Victorys turned out to be, but instead I was reminded of what a beautiful pair of binoculars the Trinovid HDs are. I almost feel bad for upgrading when they leave absolutely nothing to be desired.

I may adore the Victory SF but I still have so much love and respect for these Leicas. They truly exceeded my expectations and they've earned a permanent place in my inventory.
I did the same, but with Zeiss Conquest 8x42's. I thought they were amazing.... but sold them to go on an unnecessary upgrade path.
I got to use them again recently, as I sold them to a friend, and immediately thought... why did I sell these???
Quite honestly, £1k binos are more than good enough, and the diminishing returns graph after that is a very steep one in my opinion and experience.
Trinovids, Conquests, Genesis, GPO, Nikon MHG etc .... are all exceptional value for money.

Obtained this HD Trinovid 10x42, and the first thing I noticed is how compact they are, I am enjoying them very much.
I'm surprised you can see anything through them..... with all that CA i've heard rumours about:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

Great solid chuck around bins.... last a lifetime(y)

I have the 10X50 and then 8X in BA/BN only, so no 10X42 in these to compare. But overall, I do not see peripheral CA near the field stop, and have not encountered it while viewing. The ergonomics is key with these, they are light and very portable with a very easy focus, bright and the Leica colors are there. I would say the transmission is the main noticeable optical difference between the HD and BA/BN series, on a sunny day, the BA/BN hold their own. These are quite good at dusk, better than I thought they would be.

The HDs came with everything except a case, anyone know of a regular UV 8/10X42 canvas case for sale let me know. I cannot find any for sale in the US.

Last edited:
I have the 10X50 and then 8X in BA/BN only, so no 10X42 in these to compare. But overall, I do not see peripheral CA near the field stop, and have not encountered it while viewing. The ergonomics is key with these, they are light and very portable with a very easy focus, bright and the Leica colors are there. I would say the transmission is the main noticeable optical difference between the HD and BA/BN series, on a sunny day, the BA/BN hold their own. These are quite good at dusk, better than I thought they would be.
Sounds like a good deal if weight and focus are important. I have 7 and 8 x42 BN as well as 7x42 UVHD and the weight difference is noticeable. UVHD is a bit brighter and whiter but 7x42 BN -for me- is more pleasant to look through (eyecups) and it seems that it has a tiny bit higher magnification, at least for some reason it gives that impression. Anyway both very nice glass and i was thinking of letting one go but decided to keep both.

The HDs came with everything except a case, anyone know of a regular UV 8/10X42 canvas case for sale let me know. I cannot find any for sale in the US.
Get a Zeiss conquest case.... superb, and great value for money.... I have them for any bino i buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back