• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Geese - East Bank, Cley, Norfolk, UK (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

One of my totally blind spots. Could someone ID the geese and just give me some pointers?

Thanks Gareth

Attachments

• 0436.jpg
    0436.jpg
    772.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 0437.jpg
    0437.jpg
    848.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 0438.jpg
    0438.jpg
    845.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 0439.jpg
    0439.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 27
Greylag creche with well grown goslings.
Large pink-orange bill with no dark tip, no white on face, dull pink legs.
Mick

I only thought about a real goose - a proper gander - not introduced thingies ;)

( i've never felt nostalgic about any of the introduced fancy waterfowl)

But yes - fair play! Its important for ID of them that the options are known.

Last edited:
I only thought about a real goose - a proper gander - not introduced thingies ;)

( i've never felt nostalgic about any of the introduced fancy waterfowl)

But yes - fair play! Its important for ID of them that the options are known.

What you think that breeding Greylags in the UK are all from wild stock and not feral/introduced etc:-O Some may be of wild origin up in the north, but the Norfolk birds, and most breeding in the south, are almost certainly from introduced/escaped/feral origins. Also I have seen Ross's Goose with young in the UK out in the wild, not that you'd confuse that with a Greylag of course.

Cheers

Roy

What you think that breeding Greylags in the UK are all from wild stock and not feral/introduced etc:-O

No, did I say the Greylags were wild? But I do remember ignoring them most of the time back in the 70's. What is engraved in a special place in my memory are my many winter days in Norfolk and in Lancashire with the massive flocks of Brent and Pinkfeet and of course their sounds and their sites.

The only thing that comes anywhere near down here are the large numbers of wild Greylags making it all the way to Coto Doñana - some 20,000 or so. In early May this year I was there and the breeding Greylags seem to have increased somewhat over recent years - these are believed to be entirely from wild wintering birds that have stayed to breed.

Its actually a relief not to have feral geese in numbers at the wetlands down here - I must admit my irritation with feral Canada Geese in the UK - they just seem to be in the way :-O

Regarding East Bank, the place where the OP's photo was taken - the last bird I remember seeing there was a Terek Sandpiper around 1979 (?). Can't remember any Greylags....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back