• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best Modern Waterproof Porro? (1 Viewer)

By far the best waterproof porros on the market with center-focusing are the Swaro Habichts 8x30 and 10x40. The 7x42 has got a far too narrow field of view.

All the other waterproof porros I've handled don't come anywhere close to them in optical and mechanical quality.

Hermann

By far the best waterproof porros on the market with center-focusing are the Swaro Habichts 8x30 and 10x40. The 7x42 has got a far too narrow field of view.

All the other waterproof porros I've handled don't come anywhere close to them in optical and mechanical quality.

Hermann

:t:

Hermann

I have the 10x40 Habicht GAs & would have to agree with Hermann--best fitting porro I have ever tried in my small hands, rock steady & great view!

Hermann

If they had better eye relief (>12 mm), I would definitely think about them.

If they had better eye relief (>12 mm), I would definitely think about them.
The Habicht's definitely have the best optics of the porro's but suffer from too little ER, stiff slow focus and hard smallish eye cups. The Nikon SE and EII are superior for birding because of their superior functionality.

Which one?

I tried to get the one Bosma porro that resembled the SE but the two places I contacted tried the "bait and switch" technique so I gave up on the project.

I never tried for the second model.

Wet start today had me thinking about WP porros.

Anyone seen these ? I haven't found any retailers save in South Africa.

Last edited:
I'll add my slice of humble pie: current porro model Vixen Foresta 8x42. There's a lot to like about it, for sure, including the price. B :)

Wet start today had me thinking about WP porros.

Anyone seen these ? I haven't found any retailers save in South Africa.

Good find! I recently posted that I hoped a company in South Korea would come up with a line of bins since they would likely be better than those made by Chinese companies (as opposed to those made in China but designed by U.S. and European companies), and it would be nice to give China some competition.

Sanju is a South Korean company. Here's a spicy message from the CEO Kimchee.

The 7x42 looks interesting - 9.2* FOV and 19mm ER. A bit heavy for a 7x42 @ 32 oz.

They make roof prism binoculars and spotting scopes, too, though when I click on the links, I'm not seeing them.

Found a link to all the company's binoculars:

Sanju binoculars

Note that the intended users are not Asians from the photo montage on the top of the page.

Brock

Last edited:
Good find! I recently posted that I hoped a company in South Korea would come up with a line of bins Brock

You missed my reply, being busy dreaming of SUVs ;), so I'll give it again here :

Tasco used to make their bins in South Korea.

Steiner have their bins made for them in South Korea : SamYang Tech.

Sanju Corp., founded in 1992 and claiming to be the only dedicated binocular manufacturer in the country (by which I guess they mean that they don't make rifle scopes), manufacture a wide range of their own brand binoculars in South Korea. :t:

Best wishes,

Anyone tried the Vixen Ascot range ? I`m thinking of selling the Opticron bga se and getting a foresta 8x42 or 7x50 before winter.

Anyone tried the Vixen Ascot range ? I`m thinking of selling the Opticron bga se and getting a foresta 8x42 or 7x50 before winter.

I haven't seen the Vixen but aren't they just rebadged Nikons ?

The Nikon Marine 7x50 or Nikon Oceanpro 7x50 would give a wider view.

Somewhere in the BF archives a member in Japan mentioned that the Vixen [Artes] 8.5x45 was just a repacked NM X 8.5x45. Interesting that the Vixen was launched just a few months after the Nikon but with "ED" glass ...

You missed my reply, being busy dreaming of SUVs ;), so I'll give it again here :

Tasco used to make their bins in South Korea.

Steiner have their bins made for them in South Korea : SamYang Tech.

Sanju Corp., founded in 1992 and claiming to be the only dedicated binocular manufacturer in the country (by which I guess they mean that they don't make rifle scopes), manufacture a wide range of their own brand binoculars in South Korea. :t:

Best wishes,

Yes, I missed that, thanks for reposting.

What Kim-Gi might mean is that Sanju is the only S. Korean company to design and manufacturer bins under its own label rather than manufacturing them for another company such as Steiner.

Do know which Steiner binoculars are made in S. Korea?

AFAIK, Tasco doesn't design any optics, they just import them and stick their label on them, which is why over the years, some of the binoculars branded Tasco have been very good and some have been total crap, depending on who designed them.

Thanks for the best wishes, but my birthday was last Saturday!

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back