• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Best Modern Waterproof Porro? (1 Viewer)

Sorry the Vixen didn't pan out. I'm still a bit on the fence about that model myself.... Anyway, I posted a link to a review of the Nikon AE on your other thread.

While it's true he has direct personal contact with them it's also true that he changes is opinion about them as it suits him. The very binocular he is extolling now (8x32 Swarovision EL) was ridiculed by him only a few months ago as it will be again when he moves on to his next. Just a few months ago he quickly returned the 8x32 EL Swaro he had purchased because it fell short of his porros in so many regards. I also remember when real birders always focused their birds in the center of the fov (during his FL fling)and had no use for "field flatteners which were nothing more gimmicks like circus mirrors.

I also have problem with Dennis's penchant for implying that many forum members would convert to his latest love if they could "only afford to", i'e. I have a better binocular because I have more money. I find this particular type of post very crass and tasteless to say the least. I also find it bothersome that Dennis has been caught in several lies and everyone just lets it slide because "it's just Dennis being Dennis". Sometimes I think I'm the only one who remembers Dennis's "secret insider" at Nikon and some of his other outlandish claims.

I think your question about Dennis was meant for Jerry but I suspect many of the things Dennis has done that disturbs Jerry are some of the things I've mentioned. I've noticed a direct correlation between what certain members think about Dennis and their memory.

I've been blessed with an eidetic memory and therefore find it problematic to listen to Dennis constantly totally reverse his opinions on binoculars as well as his penchant for denigrating a particular model on this forum while at the very same time extolling its virtues on ebay. Many use the euphemism "pump and dump" to describe this but the simple truth of the matter is that if he is telling those on ebay how good it is while at the same time telling us how bad it is both statements can't be true.

You are certainly within your rights to hold Dennis's posts/reviews in the highest regards.....but rest assured you are in the minority. Most of the forum members were astute enough to see through Dennis a long time ago....as one member so eloquently put it recently" he [Dennis] is a one trick pony"

Steve
Can you employ your eidetic memory and cite Dennis' posts you find so objectionable. You guys sure spend a lot of time stalking him. That I do find objectionable, perhaps worthy of study.

Hey, at least Dennis doesn't get compensated for his "reviews". They are all Dennis!

Yes, and it's too bad the WR Cascades have been discontinued, as reports on the Rogues don't seem as positive. I saw Cascades for sale as recently as a couple of months ago.

Yes let's get this thread back on track: Unfortunately, the Leupold 8x42 Wind River Cascades porro is no longer available at most sites that I've checked.

The Opticron HR WP 8x42 with the fairly narrow Field of view 336 ft@1000 yd or 112 m@1000 m seems to be the only one standing, unless you count the rather inexpensive Nikon Action Extreme 8x40 ATB or the Bushnell Legacy WP 8x42.

I would recommend the Steiner Wildlife Pro CF 8x30. They are fogproof, waterproof, and built like a tank yet very lightweight. Crisp, sharp, and bright. Definitely worth a look.

I would recommend the Steiner Wildlife Pro CF 8x30. They are fogproof, waterproof, and built like a tank yet very lightweight. Crisp, sharp, and bright. Definitely worth a look.

Hey great recommendation coolhand! One of the first things I noticed was the very close focus--4.92' / 1.5 m--quite close for a porro! And still a decent FOV. Not too heavy @just under 21 oz (of course we are comparing a 30 mm objective vs a 40-42mm). This is a very interesting premium choice! :t:

So far, these are the ones that have been rising to the top in my research from albinos and other places: some are very inexpensive for the features (all are less than $150)

• Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 8x42
  • Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II
  • Nikon Action Ex 8X40
  • Bushnell Legacy WP 8x42
I'm a bit surprised actually and have not fully vetted out each one, but they all have some great features at their price-points.

So are the leupold rogues any good?
They are better spec'd for a hunter--a 24 ft close focus. Their Yosemites are better for nature observation but I'm on the search for a decent 8x4X porro for birding.

The Steiner 8x30s though...Hmmm. Pricey!

They are better spec'd for a hunter--a 24 ft close focus. Their Yosemites are better for nature observation but I'm on the search for a decent 8x4X porro for birding.

The Steiner 8x30s though...Hmmm. Pricey!

Seems the field of view was a little tight on the Leupolds also. I never even noticed the close focus.

Kenko Artos? At 18 ft close focus it's still out there a bit.

Also Opticron TGA.

Last edited:
I had a look at the Steiner Wildlife Pro 8x30 at BirdFair last August but was much more impressed by the Commander 7x30. Very sharp indeed and a huge perceived DOF, I'd forgive the fact that it's an IF and not the most neutral colour balance if the price was more reasonable.

David

Thanks Norm! Do you have a a pair?
'Fraid not; Steiners are just too cheap to be worthy of consideration in this part of the world. Just kidding. Only Bfer I know of who has one is newfie ghost; not sure if you've seen this thread he started |=)|
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=232369
I suggested to Oetzi he try to secure one from Steiner for review but think instead he got a Steiner Nighthunter Xtreme 8x30 (individual focusing).

David, that Steiner 7x30 would make a nice partner for a Minox 7x28 IF; could call them Oliver and Stan |:D|

Hey great recommendation coolhand! One of the first things I noticed was the very close focus--4.92' / 1.5 m--quite close for a porro! And still a decent FOV. Not too heavy @just under 21 oz (of course we are comparing a 30 mm objective vs a 40-42mm). This is a very interesting premium choice! :t:

So far, these are the ones that have been rising to the top in my research from albinos and other places: some are very inexpensive for the features (all are less than $150)

• Olympus Pathfinder EXPS-1 8x42
  • Pentax 8x40 PCF WP II
  • Nikon Action Ex 8X40
  • Bushnell Legacy WP 8x42
I'm a bit surprised actually and have not fully vetted out each one, but they all have some great features at their price-points.

Of the binoculars on your list I owned the Pentax and Nikon models. I still own the Nikon, I sold the Pentax. They were big and clunky and the FOV seemed narrow to keep both pair. Image was very sharp and clear though. I would say they are equal in terms of optical performance. The Nikon felt as though is was better constructed and more durable.

I have the Steiners I mentioned earlier. They hold up well to the Nikon SE with a slightly narrower FOV, and the Nikon havinbetter edge sharpness. Otherwise they are equal in terms of center sharpness, contrast, color saturation, brightness and focus. I was able to score a pair new on sale from Cameraland for about $299.00, every so often you can catch one on sale here and there if you shop around.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back