• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New and have a baby bird! (1 Viewer)

lewish2012

Hello,

I was not sure where to post this. As of right now the bird is not with me. Let me tell you what happened today...

My front yard is huge, I mean huge. My dog was about 50 feet from me in the yard and I saw him dig a little. Well a baby bird came running out. I had to pick him up and tell my dog to go inside because he was about to eat him. I should say we have had a momma bird in our yard for days chirping. And momma and baby are Deerkill birds.

Anyways,

I lost the hole and looked for at least 30 minutes before going back to work, I work from home. Anyways I told myself when I got off if he was still out there alone I would call a bird sanctuary.

Well he was alone, just resting there. I called and they said to bring him in. Once I am there she was kind of rude. She told me theres probably more and if there are more to take him back.

I looked all night, found nothing. Since I dropped him off with the wildlife folks the momma has not be in our yard.

I read a lot tonight about Deerkill birds and I feel like maybe I did the wrong thing. Should I go back tomorrow even if I dont find babies and get him????

Will the momma come back? I dont know what to do.

Do you mean Killdeer? Theyr "babies" are quite independent right after they hatched out. So it's better to leave alone. Propably the momma is somewhere near even you can't see it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back