• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small Wasp, Northants I.D (1 Viewer)

string boozel

Hi I found a small wasp (less than a cm long) in Northants today and while it was in close proximity to some Ashy Mining Bee burrows that may have been coincidental. Any help would be appreciated.

James.

Attachments

• 049_01.JPG
    049_01.JPG
    400.3 KB · Views: 75
Thanks a lot, I thought that it was a parasitic wasp of some form. Having had a look at some possibilities it may be Nomada flava but that could be stretching it a bit.

James.

With reference to the Steven Falk, Richard Lewington, British Wildlife Field Guides - Bees book, Ashy Mining Bee hosts the cleptoparasitic bee Nomada lathburiana and possibly N. Gooodeniana. Just referring to the book without any expertise myself at all.

Thanks for that, I knew that there were cuckoo bees that looked like bumbles but was totally unaware of these Nomada type bees before. It doesn't matter how long you study nature for, there's always something new to be discovered.

james.

Having only just seen and indeed found out about my first Nomada bee I think that I may have found another two while out at Harringworth Lake in Northants yeaterday. While the original was likely lathburiana I think these may be flava and goodeniana but then again as a complete novice with these I may also be talking utter rubbish!

James.

James.

Attachments

• 027 (2).JPG
    027 (2).JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    582 KB · Views: 26
Hi James, unfortunately I'm also a complete novice so can't help you with the Namada bee ID, other than recommending the Bee book mentioned above, Steven Falk's actual website and associated Flickr pages and the Leicestershire and Rutland NatureSpot website. We have a competent amateur entomologist near us that tells us that you can't ID the Nomada bees with confidence from photographs alone. However, this doesn't stop us trying and collecting pictures like yourself (although mine aren't as good as yours).

Regards, Phil

Thanks for the recommendation Phil, I'll pick a copy of that book up. I think that I used the online resources you mention when I was attempting to put a name on these characters. I used to believe that separating Willow Warblers from Chiffchaffs was a challenge, they're a piece of cake by comparison.

James.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back