• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue tit nestling out of box, parents not seen for 5 hours. (1 Viewer)

Rise!

England
Hi,

I have a couple bird boxes around my house and one has had some blue tits nesting in it. They have already had one successful batch fledge but today I discovered a nestling on the floor. I waited to see if the parents would come to it but after around 10-15minutes I quickly went out there and put it back in its box, coxing it through the hole. I haven’t seen the parents at all today which has been atleast 5 hours since that was when i found the nestling. The nestling has jumped again and I am worried that it will die. Its getting cold so I have given it a small pot with a dust cloth in to keep him warm. What should I do? I have sunflower hearts but I don’t know if I should feed him. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Hi Tom and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. No don't feed it seeds, they eat smallish caterpillars at this age. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. You're really best to leave it to nature, hard though that can be sometimes.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Tom and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. No don't feed it seeds, they eat smallish caterpillars at this age. We have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds. You're really best to leave it to nature, hard though that can be sometimes.

Thank you, it’s just such a shame to leave it to die when it’s already gotten this far! I’ll try to keep an eye on it but I guess there’s not much I can do. Thanks again.

There is another nest right next to the old nest but the chicks in it are much younger maybe 5-6 days old. I’m assuming its a bad idea but worth asking should I put the chick in that nest instead? Sorry to keep going on about this but I feel bad for the little guy. Thanks alot.

Please don’t put the fledgling in the other nest.

It may not have come from your nest box. We have two blue tit nest boxes and several blue tit nests in the shrubs in our garden.

Welcome to Birdforum.

Please don’t put the fledgling in the other nest.

It may not have come from your nest box. We have two blue tit nest boxes and several blue tit nests in the shrubs in our garden.

Welcome to Birdforum.
Yeah I thought as much sorry just really sucks because he’s definitely going to die.

I don't know.

The adults will be bringing smaller caterpillars for the younger ones, but they're likely to feed the bigger gape of the older one. So it's a big risk really.

It's just possible though, that a couple of days extra feeding may improve his condition and allow him to fledge. On the other hand he may have something wrong with him, in which case he will never fledge properly, but in the meantime he's had the food that should have gone to the younger ones. It would be better to place him in a nest of similar sized nestlings.

As I said earlier, it's best to leave it to nature, even if it is hard to watch.

I don't know.

The adults will be bringing smaller caterpillars for the younger ones, but they're likely to feed the bigger gape of the older one. So it's a big risk really.

It's just possible though, that a couple of days extra feeding may improve his condition and allow him to fledge. On the other hand he may have something wrong with him, in which case he will never fledge properly, but in the meantime he's had the food that should have gone to the younger ones. It would be better to place him in a nest of similar sized nestlings.

As I said earlier, it's best to leave it to nature, even if it is hard to watch.
Ok well thank you so much for your help

LOL not sure I was too much help really... playing devil's advocate.

It's not easy when you're faced with this situation is it.

LOL not sure I was too much help really... playing devil's advocate.

It's not easy when you're faced with this situation is it.
No it’s important to weigh up the options you and everyone else have been a big help thank you. Even if its just so I know there is nothing else I could’ve done. I’ll think about putting him in the other nest just don’t want to jeopardise the other chicks chances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back