• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod (1 Viewer)

I use a 600mm F4 IS + 1 series camera - so a bit heavier than the 500. From what I read the 500 is a stunning lens, it certainly is stunningly expensive!
There are some good cheap tripods out there but if you have spent the money on the lens then I would suggest you do not compromise on the support - you can spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar. The recommended setup would be something like a Wimberley 2 and a Gitzo 5541, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Wimberley 2 (there are alternatives, but I have not yet tried any that are as good). I skimped a little on the tripod, to save weight, and went for the Gitzo 3530 LS and find it to be excellent.
As I suggested please do not compromise, you will spend more in the log run. If funds are restricted then have a look on the used market. My Wimberley 2 cost £200 with a long QR plate and I picked up a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (carbon 3 series systematic) with an additional carbon center column for £100 a great combo for lenses like the 500mm - yes I was lucky but it shows what can be found out there.

I use a 600mm F4 IS + 1 series camera - so a bit heavier than the 500. From what I read the 500 is a stunning lens, it certainly is stunningly expensive!
There are some good cheap tripods out there but if you have spent the money on the lens then I would suggest you do not compromise on the support - you can spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar. The recommended setup would be something like a Wimberley 2 and a Gitzo 5541, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Wimberley 2 (there are alternatives, but I have not yet tried any that are as good). I skimped a little on the tripod, to save weight, and went for the Gitzo 3530 LS and find it to be excellent.
As I suggested please do not compromise, you will spend more in the log run. If funds are restricted then have a look on the used market. My Wimberley 2 cost £200 with a long QR plate and I picked up a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 (carbon 3 series systematic) with an additional carbon center column for £100 a great combo for lenses like the 500mm - yes I was lucky but it shows what can be found out there.
Thanks for the reply, I must admit the Gitzo 3530 was one I had previously looked at, you are of course right the after spending so much on glass it would be foolish not to get the best from it by using inferior support. I have looked at the Wimberley and the alternatives from lensmaster but am unsure what to do. Thanks again I think as far as the tripod goes I need to reach into my pockets again:-C

Steve

After ordering a new tripod a couple of days ago (Gitzo 3530ls) I have now recieved an e-mail telling me this is no longer available, :C so back to the drawing board.
I am now looking at the Gitzo gt3541ls systematic tripod. Has anyone used or have any thoughts on this choice?:t:

Cheers Steve

Hi Monoglypha, you should give serious thought as to what sort of bird photography you want to do, and then select a suitable solution for it, before you spend a small fortune on tripod and head.
for example
1.If you frequently shot from hides then a tripod is of very little use, a bean bag is far more useful/practical, and it can be used from a car, and costs next to nothing.
2. Most birds can be shot off a monopod, very cheap (in comparision to a tripod) and easy to carry.
I shoot with a 600/4vr off a monopod using all 3 (not at same time) nikon telecons with no problems and use a bean bag even more often.
I have a a gitzo 1548 with wim mk2 and only use it when I want to shot birds in flight.You should also consider the weight implications of a large tripod and gimbal head, will this suit you if you are a walk about birder?

Some other thoughts for you to consider, a waterproof sleeve in case you get caught out in the rain ( you won't be able to put a 500 in you coat pocket)is very useful.
A bag to carry or transport/carry the lens.
A replacement foot is a must, existing Nikon one is too tall and flexible.
Just a few thoughts/suggestions for you to consider, before you spend another small fortune.
regards

Hi Monoglypha, you should give serious thought as to what sort of bird photography you want to do, and then select a suitable solution for it, before you spend a small fortune on tripod and head.
for example
1.If you frequently shot from hides then a tripod is of very little use, a bean bag is far more useful/practical, and it can be used from a car, and costs next to nothing.
2. Most birds can be shot off a monopod, very cheap (in comparision to a tripod) and easy to carry.
I shoot with a 600/4vr off a monopod using all 3 (not at same time) nikon telecons with no problems and use a bean bag even more often.
I have a a gitzo 1548 with wim mk2 and only use it when I want to shot birds in flight.You should also consider the weight implications of a large tripod and gimbal head, will this suit you if you are a walk about birder?

Some other thoughts for you to consider, a waterproof sleeve in case you get caught out in the rain ( you won't be able to put a 500 in you coat pocket)is very useful.
A bag to carry or transport/carry the lens.
A replacement foot is a must, existing Nikon one is too tall and flexible.
Just a few thoughts/suggestions for you to consider, before you spend another small fortune.
regards

Thanks for the advice, i have now changed the foot on my lens and bought a new tripod (gitzo gt3541ls). Looks like a bean bag is a must for me as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back