• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From Tim Wootton's Studio (2 Viewers)

Fabulous sketches Tim :t:

Crikey, I'd be happy with a Little Egret (one of my bogey birds that I will track down this year!

Good luck for that Turtle Dove....last time I saw one was in Kent in July 1992 (yet it only seems like yesterday - where does the time go?).

Now, is the Great White Egret the same as the Great Egret we have over here?

Great sketches, Tim.
When my husband and I were first married, we lived on the shore with an estuary for our backyard(ahhh, what heady days of love and birds), I got a ton of practice in sketching and observing egrets. Loved watching them in breeding plumage. Egrets were what really inspired me to go further into 3 dimensional work. I have yet to capture them they way I want, though. Someday...someday...

Cheers folks - Ed, I'll have a simple Vod and Ton (cos I'm flat out of both!!!!)
enjoyed trying to catch a moving subject - bl**dy hard, this drawing thing, though.
Elizabeth - one and the same. Sounds like you had a wonderful home - are you trying to 'get back' there? - birds and love, eh? - hence the three kids ;)
Thanks Nick and Gill - always trying . . . .

timwootton said:
Elizabeth - one and the same. Sounds like you had a wonderful home - are you trying to 'get back' there? - birds and love, eh? - hence the three kids ;)

Hmmmmm, maybe you're on to something there.

Off topic, but maybe not so much off topic...
Hey, did I tell you my old man got a job? He will officially be a, excuse me, THE Professor of Composition and Rhetoric at a state university in Oregon. I can't remember if I mentioned it here or not...Anyway we will be moving to a completely new location with completely new birds I have never seen before or am at least not used to seeing on a regular basis. Lots of water around and mountains for hiking. Climate very temperate. I am trying to 'get in' a few birds that I know I will miss once we move.
Very exciting, so much to do, I think I need at least a double...

Very, very nice sketches Tim. I agree egrets never seem to stay still, although all I've seen have been little egrets, they're two-a-penny down here. I like the challenge, though I don't think I pull it off as well as you.

Exciting times Elizabeth, well done to 'hubby'!

I've been working on my wren painting so I've been trying to stay off BF while I'm 'in the groove'. This place is way too addictive, perhaps it's the virtual alchohol!?

Woody

No R' Egrets

Just had time to make a quick colour sketch from the notes made yesterday of the Great White Egret - quite like the habitat . . .

Attachments

• Egret.jpg
    Egret.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 142
birdpotter said:
it rings true, Tim. nice one. I especially like the branchy bushy plants and the foreground color of the grass.

ditto here Tim....

As alway the fieldwork is great. tough birds to draw...
look forward to more work on this one....

Stuck working at the minute but time off in abundance next week:)

timwootton said:
Just had time to make a quick colour sketch from the notes made yesterday of the Great White Egret - quite like the habitat . . .

Excellent work

I was reading Dafi's account of this bird earlier today, it's a monster!!

Matt

That's some exciting brushwork going on there with that egret, full of action. Like it lots indeed. I feel I've been spending too much time with a number 2 brush recently, I need to get back into using big brush, big paper and big mess. Hmm, inspired now, shame it's bedtime.

You captured this bird in its habitat with passion. I like the boldness of the brushstrokes and the confidence you have in making them. Nice work!
...plus... always inspiring field sketches, makes me want to get out. You capture so much with so little.

Last edited:
Cheers Folks!!
Hey Elizabeth - that sounds like SOME job hubby's got! (Perhaps you'll explain exactly what it is at a later date ;) ) - many, many congratulations. Sounds like you'll be moving to pastures new soon (will you miss the hustle and bustle of the Apple?). The new place ought to get your creative juices flowing - so look forward to many more pieces.
Good luck and keep us posted (particularly the stresses of relocating - something I know a bit about!)

Thanks Tim. I am afraid that I am almost in the dark with what my husband really does as most people. I usually just say he's an english professor ;)

Now if SOMEONE could give me the skinny on what it's like in Oregon...Peter???

I haven't gotten my paints out this weekend; there has been more than enough work for me to do since I was so sick all last week. Maybe some time during the week...

. . .

Trying to be a 'proper' artist, I decided to revisit this piece (it was just the lone foreground curlew previously). I'm not absolutely convinced the composition is right for the piece, but I'm sure it's an improvement for the addition of the extra birds.

Attachments

• waders.jpg
    waders.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 132
Definitely adding the extra birds has steered this in the right direction, I think just one bird on its own would have given the impression of it being plonked there as the background isn't the main focus for the composition. The 'sweep' of birds has given it a lot of interest and, seriously makes me want to be there looking at these birds. I saw a redshank yesterday on a puddle in some fields, the first wader I've seen for months, I could have cried, I miss the flocks of the Dyfi estuary immensely.
A beautiful scene, the quality of the light is tremendous, energetic, yet peaceful.

. . .

Thanks Nick - as I said I'm not sure it's 'right' yet (will anything ever be!) but it's definitely moved in that direction, as you so eloquently suggested.
Also - tried bu**ering about with a bit of a detailed piece this evening (well Tracy Barlow's off to t'nick for bashing Nasty Charlie in, so my interest in t'programme has waned dramatically - nice girl, regardless of her homicidal tendancies!!) and here's teh result . . .
We often talk about detail, jizz, and other bits and bobs and I now know why I err towards the more 'painterly' approach. It's cos this detail lark is bl**dy hard and hellishly difficult to get convincing. If nothing else, my admiration for painters such as Peter Mathios and Paschalis Dougalis (Spitzy) has simply soared from an already elevated height.
Back to quick jizzy sketches where I can pretend I know what I'm doing - oh, got some Vod back in't'cupboard - slooshing down nicely.
Evenin' all . . .

Attachments

• puffins.jpg
    puffins.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back