• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cannot Identify Bird -Eastern Canada (1 Viewer)

cmdicks

I have seen these birds on 3 occasions this October (2017) and cannot figure out what they are. Unfortunately I do not have a photo and do not know what they sound like.
-Southern New Brunswick, Canada
-Grey with a wider white collar that goes all around the neck and dips down a little onto the breast.
-Small black cap similar to a chickadee, white stripe across the bottom of the tail, pretty sure it is just the top side of the tail. Tail is straight across the bottom.
- Cannot see any other markings, stripes, mottling, or patterns.
- Have seen two together once and three together twice.
- Flying and on the ground, on the ground is the lawn near my pond. Cut grass near scrubby brushes and tall grasses, then forest.
- Surrounded by farms, wood lots, hay fields, blueberry fields, pastures. Mixed evergreen and deciduous forest.
-Mid to late afternoon.
- Mistaken for mourning doves at a distance while on the ground, but they are larger than a robin, smaller than a crow.
- Quite pretty birds, very simple coloring, perch on tree trunks almost like a woodpecker.
- Have not seen them near the feeders. Currently the feeders only have plain sunflower seeds.

I have been through the internet, all my bird books, and too many apps to count and have had no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back