• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (3 Viewers)

Dave, fantastic! To be so close to a Pels and to have it unworried by your activities must have been amazing. And the Black Coucal - very nice. I was very interested to see the mob-scene of storks, must have been quite a sight. Thanks for those interesting posts, I'm having a sort of virtual holiday here!

December in Botswana - Delta and Selinda/Linyanti Part 3

Dave, fantastic! To be so close to a Pels and to have it unworried by your activities must have been amazing. And the Black Coucal - very nice. I was very interested to see the mob-scene of storks, must have been quite a sight. Thanks for those interesting posts, I'm having a sort of virtual holiday here!

Sal, glad you're enjoying the trip! Perhaps because birds in the Delta are virtually unmolested by humans, one can sometimes get surprisingly close to them. Just as well, because I don't have a big fancy camera with enormous lenses - only a built-in telephoto - so if you see one of my pics showing a bird in close-up, it's because I've managed to get pretty close to the bird in question. The Pels was even kind enough to drop a feather - I have it here beside me as I write.

Anyway, this will be the last instalment in the Delta - some information about waterlilies and pygmy geese - and in the next instalment we'll fly north to the Selinda - Linyanti area.

So - on to the water lilies.

The first photo shows a mokoro (pl. mekoro), the finest mode of transport in the Delta, for they will float on only inches of water. They used to be dug out of huge jackalberry or sausage trees, but, since the craft had an average life-span of only 4-5 years, this was devastating for the trees, and now most mekoro are fibreglass, and impressively long-lived.

Next are day water-lilies Nymphaea nouchali var. caerulea. Note the stems holding the flowers clear of the water, and the colours of the flowers. Most are white, and appropriately virginal, but once fertilised, the colour changes to pink and shades of blue. You can see one of those towards the rear of the picture. Then the lily does something very clever. The flower stem starts to spiral, effectively shortening the stem, as you can see in the next picture. This draws the fertilised flower head under the water where a large seed-pod packed with seeds develops. This seedpod is the favoured food of pygmy geese (see above in Post #481 picture 3). The fourth picture shows a seed-pod which has been opened by a pygmy goose. The action of the little goose disperses seeds into the current, thus aiding the dispersal of the plant.

And finally, the last photo, apropos of nothing at all, was taken at the fishing spot where the Pel's owl was parking off.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• DSCF1933.jpg
    DSCF1933.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Water-lilies.jpg
    Water-lilies.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Spiralling stems.jpg
    Spiralling stems.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Water-lily seed-pod.jpg
    Water-lily seed-pod.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Fishing near Pel's tree.jpg
    Fishing near Pel's tree.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 64
That sound great Martyn, I hope you all have a wonderful time and that you will post back on this thread when you get home to tell us about the birds (and maybe a few other special moments!)and how the trip went.

Of course I will!

Many thanks

Martyn

So - on to the water lilies.

The first photo shows a mokoro (pl. mekoro), the finest mode of transport in the Delta, for they will float on only inches of water. They used to be dug out of huge jackalberry or sausage trees, but, since the craft had an average life-span of only 4-5 years, this was devastating for the trees, and now most mekoro are fibreglass, and impressively long-lived.

Next are day water-lilies Nymphaea nouchali var. caerulea. Note the stems holding the flowers clear of the water, and the colours of the flowers. Most are white, and appropriately virginal, but once fertilised, the colour changes to pink and shades of blue. You can see one of those towards the rear of the picture. Then the lily does something very clever. The flower stem starts to spiral, effectively shortening the stem, as you can see in the next picture. This draws the fertilised flower head under the water where a large seed-pod packed with seeds develops. This seedpod is the favoured food of pygmy geese (see above in Post #481 picture 3). The fourth picture shows a seed-pod which has been opened by a pygmy goose. The action of the little goose disperses seeds into the current, thus aiding the dispersal of the plant.

Dave I remember the old mekoro very well. When we went to the delta, before we got into the boats, the polers put branches diagonally across the bottom of the boat, close together, Then they placed bundles of cut grasses longitudinally. We then made seats with our luggage . I remember our mokoro developed a serious leak, and the poler took us to one of those floating islands of papyrus, found a specific plant and plugged the hole with it. I believe the plant was some kind of gelationus moss or similar.The repair worked too! One poler went too close to the reeds and vegetation and a snake dropped out and into their boat, vanishing under the grass bundles. The two guys in the boat, eyes like saucers, held themselves off the seats with their hands pressed down on the side of the boat till it reached hard ground and they were able to disembark. The rest of us were laughing so much we couldnt do anything to help! It was the fastest I ever saw a poler pole!

The water-lily life cycle is very interesting. I remember seeing those coiled stems, but had no idea that this is what was happening. Do all water-lilies change colour once fertilised? I guess other birds like the Egyptian geese would also eat the seedpods?

Thanks for another interesting post.

Who need a hairclip, by the way, when you can use a Painted Reed Frog?

Dave,
didn't realise you had that much hair :-O

Sounds like a fantastic trip, and to get so close to a Pels - amazing.

On the sleeping elephant front in the Kruger we did see a large bull resting in the shade of a large tree one day (it was very hot). He had his forehead resting against the tree and his back legs were crossed! We stayed for about 15 minutes and he didn't move - his eyes were closed so I'm sure he was asleep. A really peculiar pose but for the life of me I can't think why I didn't take a photo :C

Allan

On the sleeping elephant front in the Kruger we did see a large bull resting in the shade of a large tree one day (it was very hot). He had his forehead resting against the tree and his back legs were crossed! We stayed for about 15 minutes and he didn't move - his eyes were closed so I'm sure he was asleep. A really peculiar pose but for the life of me I can't think why I didn't take a photo :C

Allan

Hi, Allan,
Interesting comment about the Kruger elephant resting against a tree. Take a look at this old guy, photographed in Kruger in 2006. He has wedged his tusks into forks in a mopane tree to support the great weight of his head while he dozes. He has taken the weight off one of his front feet as well, in much the same way that a horse does.

What surprised me in Bots was the way the elephant lay down for his sleep. I had never seen that before.

Best wishes,
Dave

Attachments

• anne 011.jpg
    anne 011.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 58
  • KNP906 086.jpg
    KNP906 086.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 66
December in Botswana - Delta and Selinda/Linyanti Part 4

Now we’ve moved north beyond the Delta to the Selinda/Linyanti area. First, a bit of local history. Look at the first picture, the Savuti River, full of water and a real oasis in this dry part of the world. But in 1980 the Savuti dried up. Water failed to enter from Lake Zibadianja to the north, and Savuti underwent protracted and horrifying death throes as its population of hippos and crocodiles was forced to cram into ever-shrinking pools.....until at last the vultures spiralled down. Now, 29 years later, the river has returned to life. Already the hippos and crocs are back, and the water has currently reached one third to half-way along the long-dry channel. The reason? Probably small seismic shifts along the Gumare fault, which forms the NW boundary of the Okavango Delta.

The next picture shows Lake Zibadianja feeding into the rejuventated Savuti. Zibadianja’s water comes from the Kwando River and local rainfall. In good years a waterway known as the Selinda Spillway brings overflow water across from the Upper Delta. Whatever the reasons at the time of this visit, the level of Lake Zibadianja was rising, and its waters pushing out westwards into low-lying grassland (picture 3). Picture 4 shows in detail a portion of that western extension of Zibadianja. The water has already crossed the road, and at that precise spot we experienced one of the most astonishing sightings you could imagine. What tipped us off was the surprising sight of not one, but five, African Fish Eagles prostrate on the ground (photo 5). What on earth was going on? I’ll tell you in the next instalment, because I can only post 5 photos at a time.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• 1. Savuti River.jpg
    1. Savuti River.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 2. L. Zibadianja & Savuti R..jpg
    2. L. Zibadianja & Savuti R..jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 3. Zibadianja floods the grassland.jpg
    3. Zibadianja floods the grassland.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 4. The water crosses the road.jpg
    4. The water crosses the road.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 59
  • 5. African Fish-eagles, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    5. African Fish-eagles, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 66
The water has already crossed the road, and at that precise spot we experienced one of the most astonishing sightings you could imagine. What tipped us off was the surprising sight of not one, but five, African Fish Eagles prostrate on the ground (photo 5). What on earth was going on? I’ll tell you in the next instalment, because I can only post 5 photos at a time.

Can't wait to hear this!

December in Botswana - Delta and Selinda/Linyanti Part 5

We had been out on an early morning drive when we arrived at the place described in photo 4 of the previous posting. On our right, and ahead of us coming over the road, were the creeping waters of Lake Zibadianja, inching over the grasslands. We were surrounded by birds, an incredible bird party including 5 African Fish-eagles, 27 Black Herons, Woolly-necked Storks, Ruff, Marabou, African Jacanas, Pied Kingfishers, Whitefaced Ducks, Comb Ducks, Sacred Ibis, Ruffs, Squacco Herons, Whiskered Terns, Yellow-billed Storks, Spurwing Geese, Blacksmith Lapwings, Wood Sandpipers, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Long-toed Lapwings and a juvenile Saddle-billed Stork. The fish eagles were quite literally prostrate on the ground, and this was the clue to what had been going on. They were quite simply stuffed full to bursting.

It seems probable that, as the water crept over the low-lying grassland, worms, grubs, larvae and insects were being flushed out. Fish, in a sort of scaly feeding frenzy, were taking terrible risks skittering through inches-deep water to gorge on this bounty, because they in turn were being eaten by an ever increasing crowd of avian predators which, even as we watched, was growing by the minute as more and more birds flew in.

The first picture shows marabou, white-faced ducks, ruff, black herons, sacred ibis, and three woolly-necked storks in the tree in the background. The second show the brilliant yellow feet of the black herons to advantage, while in the third picture a group of them have settled down to fish in their inimitable manner. Number four is a fine group of comb ducks, with the male displaying his black comb to advantage. In the final picture some woolly-necked storks and long-toed lapwings have arrived for their share.
It was a fascinating example of an unusual set of circumstances generating a memorable sighting, and we were thrilled to bits.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Attachments

• 6. Get your fresh fish here.jpg
    6. Get your fresh fish here.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 7. The Black Herons arrive.jpg
    7. The Black Herons arrive.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 8. Black Herons fishing.jpg
    8. Black Herons fishing.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 9. Comb Ducks.jpg
    9. Comb Ducks.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 10. Woolly-necked Storks & Long-toed Lapwings.jpg
    10. Woolly-necked Storks & Long-toed Lapwings.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 64
We had been out on an early morning drive when we arrived at the place described in photo 4 of the previous posting. On our right, and ahead of us coming over the road, were the creeping waters of Lake Zibadianja, inching over the grasslands. We were surrounded by birds, an incredible bird party including 5 African Fish-eagles, 27 Black Herons, Woolly-necked Storks, Ruff, Marabou, African Jacanas, Pied Kingfishers, Whitefaced Ducks, Comb Ducks, Sacred Ibis, Ruffs, Squacco Herons, Whiskered Terns, Yellow-billed Storks, Spurwing Geese, Blacksmith Lapwings, Wood Sandpipers, Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets, Long-toed Lapwings and a juvenile Saddle-billed Stork. The fish eagles were quite literally prostrate on the ground, and this was the clue to what had been going on. They were quite simply stuffed full to bursting.

It seems probable that, as the water crept over the low-lying grassland, worms, grubs, larvae and insects were being flushed out. Fish, in a sort of scaly feeding frenzy, were taking terrible risks skittering through inches-deep water to gorge on this bounty, because they in turn were being eaten by an ever increasing crowd of avian predators which, even as we watched, was growing by the minute as more and more birds flew in.

The first picture shows marabou, white-faced ducks, ruff, black herons, sacred ibis, and three woolly-necked storks in the tree in the background. The second show the brilliant yellow feet of the black herons to advantage, while in the third picture a group of them have settled down to fish in their inimitable manner. Number four is a fine group of comb ducks, with the male displaying his black comb to advantage. In the final picture some woolly-necked storks and long-toed lapwings have arrived for their share.
It was a fascinating example of an unusual set of circumstances generating a memorable sighting, and we were thrilled to bits.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Dave,
I was going to say you are very lucky to see everything that you have seen on this trip, however, when you visit a place as extraordinary as the Okavango Delta, then the chances of seeing sights such as you have seen are very much better then probably any other place in Southern Africa.
The only luck you have had is having the opportunity to visit such a fascinating place.
Your reports are very impressive giving details on every aspect of the flora and fauna and along with the great pictures gives me a sense of being there. To actually be there and see all of this must be incredible.
Thanks very much.

Martin

Amazing Dave! What a sight that must have been. Some great pics there too. I particularly like the ones of the Black Herons. Great story, thanks.

Excellent report Dave - one day I will get there.

Good news for me - we have booked our flights so will be in Marloth Park and Kruger park from 24th Feb to 10th March. We have not been so early in the year before, so we are hoping to catch summer visitors that we have not seen before. Also a lot of rain I expect!

Can't wait
Allan

Dave I remember the old mekoro very well. When we went to the delta, before we got into the boats, the polers put branches diagonally across the bottom of the boat, close together, Then they placed bundles of cut grasses longitudinally.

Hi, Sal,

This picture was taken in the delta in 1993, and shows the grass linings quite clearly. If you look at the left hand boat with the grass in it, it is so warped that I can't imagine you could have steered it in anything like a straight line!

Best wishes,
Dave

Attachments

• Ntswi Island landing place - Nov '93.jpg
    Ntswi Island landing place - Nov '93.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 51
December in Botswana - Delta and Selinda/Linyanti Part 6

Allan, Sal, Martin and Frank – thank you for your kind comments re the Delta/Selinda/Linyanti story.

Stars fade, and the sun creeps over the horizon......it is time for the final episode of our tale.

We did, of course, see other birds as we explored the area. Early one morning we encountered a Bearded Woodpecker foraging on the ground (picture 1), then, close to the watery incursion with all the black herons etc., this fabulous Acacia tree (picture 2), with its colourful cargo of birds, including Burchell’s Starlings, Southern Carmine Bee-eaters and Yellow-crowned Bishops. What an advertisement for birding in the area! All those birds just waiting for you in one tree!

Of course, it wouldn’t be the African bush without a lion, so here’s one (picture 3) who must be one of the handsomest lions I have ever seen. He was in the company of a younger male, and we had heard the pair of them roaring on the far side of Lake Zibadianja earlier that morning. We were extraordinarily fortunate to come across the pair of them resting up in the heat of the day.

Picture 4 shows a Rufous-naped Lark singing his characteristic 4-note call from the top of a small tree. Back on a Highveld grassland some years ago I paced out the distances between calling larks. The average was around 150m, which is probably a reasonable estimate for the territory required by a pair of Rufous-naped Larks.

On our last morning we drove out of camp and in the very first palm tree Hyphaene petersianacame across an interesting pair of Wahlberg’s eagles, in that one was dark phase and the other light phase. Intriguing to see them together like that. It had been a great visit, and our bird total for Selinda/Linyanti over a two-night stay was 95, as shown below.

I have enjoyed sharing the birds, plants, wildlife and area with you. Can’t wait until the next time.

Best wishes,
Dave Kennedy

Species List
African Darter
African Golden Oriole
African Jacana
African Marsh Harrier
African Mourning Dove
African Openbill
African Sacred Ibis
African Wattled Lapwing
Arrow-marked Babbler
Bateleur
Bearded Woodpecker
Bennett's Woodpecker
Black Heron
Black-backed Puffback
Black-crowned Tchagra
Blacksmith Lapwing
Blue Waxbill
Broad-billed Roller
Burchell's Starling
Cape Turtle Dove
Cattle Egret
Chestnut-backed Sparrowlark
Comb Duck
Common Greenshank
Coppery Tailed Coucal
Crested Barbet
Crowned Lapwing
Dark-capped Bulbul
Egyptian Goose
European Bee-eater
Fork-tailed Drongo
Glossy Ibis
Goliath Heron
Great Egret
Great White Pelican
Green Wood-hoopoe
Green-backed Heron
Grey Go-away Bird
Grey Heron
Hamerkop
Hartlaub's Babbler
Helmeted Guineafowl
Hooded Vulture
Kori Bustard
Lilac-breasted Roller
Little Bee-eater
Little Egret
Little Grebe
Long-toed Lapwing
Magpie Shrike
Marabou Stork
Marsh Sandpiper
Martial Eagle
Meyers Parrot
Neddicky
Ostrich
Paradise Whydah
Pearl-spotted Owlet
Pied Kingfisher
Purple Heron
Pygmy Goose
Red-backed Shrike
Red-billed Buffalo Weaver
Red-billed Francolin
Red-billed Hornbill
Red-billed Quelea
Red-crested Korhaan
Ruff
Saddle-billed Stork
Secretarybird
Senegal Coucal
Slaty Egret
Southern Black Tit
Southern Carmine Bee-eater
Southern Ground Hornbill
Spurwing Goose
Squacco Heron
Swainson's Spurfowl
Tawny Eagle
Three-banded Plover
Wahlberg's Eagle (pale)
Whiskered Tern
White-backed Duck
White-backed Vulture
White-breasted Cormorant
White-browed Sparrow-weaver
White-faced Duck
Wood Sandpiper
Woodland Kingfisher
Woolly-necked Stork
Yellow-billed Duck
Yellow-billed Hornbill
Yellow-billed Kite
Yellow-billed Stork
Yellow-crowned Bishop

Attachments

• 11. Bearded Woodpecker (m), Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    11. Bearded Woodpecker (m), Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 12. Bird Tree, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    12. Bird Tree, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 13. Lion, Selinda.jpg
    13. Lion, Selinda.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 14. Rufous-naped Lark singing.jpg
    14. Rufous-naped Lark singing.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 15. Wahlberg's Eagle - two colour phases, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    15. Wahlberg's Eagle - two colour phases, Selinda, Linyanti.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 61
Excellent report Dave - one day I will get there.

Good news for me - we have booked our flights so will be in Marloth Park and Kruger park from 24th Feb to 10th March. We have not been so early in the year before, so we are hoping to catch summer visitors that we have not seen before. Also a lot of rain I expect!

Can't wait
Allan

Yay Alan! How wondeful, now you all have something to look forward to! There should not be so much rain by then, but it will be EXTREMELY hot so if you hire a vehicle, get one with an aircon! Great that you will be able to get some new ticks. Look out for the Carmine Bee-eaters - one of my favourites.

Last edited:
Hi, Sal,

This picture was taken in the delta in 1993, and shows the grass linings quite clearly. If you look at the left hand boat with the grass in it, it is so warped that I can't imagine you could have steered it in anything like a straight line!

Best wishes,
Dave

Thats it exactly! But I am happy to say that although we had a leaky boat, at least it was straight - that one is unreal!

We did, of course, see other birds as we explored the area. Early one morning we encountered a Bearded Woodpecker foraging on the ground (picture 1), then, close to the watery incursion with all the black herons etc., this fabulous Acacia tree (picture 2), with its colourful cargo of birds, including Burchell’s Starlings, Southern Carmine Bee-eaters and Yellow-crowned Bishops. What an advertisement for birding in the area! All those birds just waiting for you in one tree!

Of course, it wouldn’t be the African bush without a lion, so here’s one (picture 3) who must be one of the handsomest lions I have ever seen. He was in the company of a younger male, and we had heard the pair of them roaring on the far side of Lake Zibadianja earlier that morning. We were extraordinarily fortunate to come across the pair of them resting up in the heat of the day.

Picture 4 shows a Rufous-naped Lark singing his characteristic 4-note call from the top of a small tree. Back on a Highveld grassland some years ago I paced out the distances between calling larks. The average was around 150m, which is probably a reasonable estimate for the territory required by a pair of Rufous-naped Larks.

On our last morning we drove out of camp and in the very first palm tree Hyphaene petersianacame across an interesting pair of Wahlberg’s eagles, in that one was dark phase and the other light phase. Intriguing to see them together like that. It had been a great visit, and our bird total for Selinda/Linyanti over a two-night stay was 95, as shown below.

I have enjoyed sharing the birds, plants, wildlife and area with you. Can’t wait until the next time.

How strange, I have just said to Allan 'look out for Carmine Bee-eaters' - and here they are! Fabulous tree, you really have seen some great sights. Those Wahlberg's eagles in the different phases too are a really lovely sighting. I like the pic of the Rufous-naped Lark singing its heart out too.

West Rand African Harrier Hawk

Surprise, surprise, an African Harrier Hawk (fka Gymnogene) was observed in a tall tree next door. And I was away in Magoebaskloof! My daughters spotted it, and sent me a text message just to annoy me. That makes my garden list (seen in, above, or from my garden) 75 species, which isn't bad for a suburb W of Jo'burg.

Best wishes,
Dave

Looks like our AHH has taken up residence! We've seen it a few times since the original sighting, and it flew over our garden yesterday and the day before. We're delighted!

Dave Kennedy

Dave - just a quick not about your gorged birds - when the floods creep in the waters do flush insects, but just as often (and offering more meat) what the birds are nabbing are rodents that abandon their burrows.

There are equally as impressive gatherings of birds when the foods recede that safari guides know as fish traps. Small lagoons get isolated from the main channels and as the water level drops the fish within them are easy pickings. Usually you'd see this around September, but the Delta is a variable place (after years living there I still couldn't pick when anything would happen...)

Attachments

• Birds at a fish trap.jpg
    Birds at a fish trap.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back