• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2016 UK Orchids (2 Viewers)

Is anybody familiar with Lydden Temple Ewell?
I can see where to get access via the footpath at the south east end at Temple Ewell. Are the orchid populations spread out over the whole reserve, or confined to one bit? The OS map shows a hotel and woodland separating two areas of presumed grssland. Is there access through the wood? There is not marked footpath.

Steve

Is anybody familiar with Lydden Temple Ewell?
I can see where to get access via the footpath at the south east end at Temple Ewell. Are the orchid populations spread out over the whole reserve, or confined to one bit? The OS map shows a hotel and woodland separating two areas of presumed grssland. Is there access through the wood? There is not marked footpath.

Steve

Lydden is a spread out reserve and requires a bit of effort to cover it all. The common orchids are in most fields, and in good numbers. Unless you know different I understand that the very few Burnt Tip Orchids were not seen last year. The year before I never did find the half a dozen or so despite decent directions.
There is a small car park at approx. TR287444. Its behind what I think was a pub, but now closed. You go up a small hill for about 75 yds. The car park holds about 10 cars. In the NE corner is a gate that leads up some steps and along a wooded footpath. Don't take the 1st left as this leads to an open area where people walk dogs. Carry on for about another 50yds. This leads to the reserve which is signed at the entrance. A footpath leads W/NW to the other parts of the reserve.
I usually go to other Kent reserves for most of my Orchids, although Lydden is a must for Butterflies.

Are you after anything in particular? Lady Orchids were out today at Wye NNR.

Last edited:
Lydden is a spread out reserve and requires a bit of effort. The common orchids are in most fields, and in good numbers. Unless you know different I understand that the very few Burnt Tip Orchids were not seen last year. The year before I never did find the half a dozen or so despite decent directions.
There is a small car park at approx. TR287444. Its behind what I think was a pub, but now closed. You go up a small hill for about 75 yds. The car park holds about 10 cars. In the NE corner is a gate that leads up some steps and along a wooded footpath. Don't take the 1st left as this leads to an open area where people walk dogs. Carry on for about another 50yds. This leads to the reserve which is signed at the entrance. A footpath leads W/NW to the other parts of the reserve.
I usually go to other Kent reserves for most of my Orchids, although Lydden is a must for Butterflies.

I'll be trying to see those Burnts this year. I've got a 10 fig but if anyone has any other directions I would welcome them!

Curiously, a single Northern Marsh Orchid in full bloom at Burton Mere Wetlands RSPB today. No photo as it was inaccessible (in front of the Marsh Covert Hide), but undoubtedly Northern Marsh, confirmed through binoculars. No sign of any spikes elsewhere on the reserve. I’ve seen them before this early but somehow expected things to be later this year as so far I’ve seen no Early Purple or Green Winged close to flowering in North Wales. Odd too that there’s just the one spike in flower.
Jeff

I should have worded my last post slightly differently and said that the very few Burnt Tip Orchids were not reported as being seen last year, as opposed to not present.

Burnt Tip has become very rare in Kent. The small group at Wye NNR was last reported about 2007. I managed to see them then but they numbered only 3.

If I hear of any reports, or be lucky enough to see any in Kent I will update.

Lydden is a spread out reserve and requires a bit of effort to cover it all. The common orchids are in most fields, and in good numbers. Unless you know different I understand that the very few Burnt Tip Orchids were not seen last year. The year before I never did find the half a dozen or so despite decent directions.

Many thanks Dungeness.
Where I actually visit is down to time, luck, weather, other attractions, and other unknowns. Currently working on directions from one site to another for the best. So much to cram into a few days.

Hi

Off to southern Ireland on Sunday for a couple of days. Hope to get to the Burren for at least one day. Could anyone please supply any sites for Dense-flowered Orchid, hopefully they will be out now, or anything else of interest

Many thanks

David

General flowering update

Any one know if I could fit in a visit to Hartslock to see see the lady/monkey hybrids with Holmfield Wood to see the military orchids?
I gather the hybrids are out now, ? are the military out yet
thinking of either next weekend or weekend after

Any guidance grateful received?

Also does anyone know if the Dorset lizard orchid next to the Wool-Waream road is still there?

Any one know if I could fit in a visit to Hartslock to see see the lady/monkey hybrids with Holmfield Wood to see the military orchids?

Geographically, yes, easy to get round both (quite small) sites in a day -- and always worth dropping into Warburg on the way. Haven't been out to either yet, but the Homefield [sic] military are generally at their best late May/early June -- i'd try for "the weekend after" (should still be good for the hybrids, too).

Last edited:
I've been trying to hunt Early Purple Orchids in Lowestoft but not got on very well. What I have found is that our local patch of Green Winged ones is growing exceptionally well. I counted about thirty, including a pretty pink one :)

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 149

Any guidance grateful received?

Also does anyone know if the Dorset lizard orchid next to the Wool-Waream road is still there?

The Hartlock website has been updated today:-

Been very busy recently but last weekend I checked and the hybrids were coming into flower nicely but the 2 Lady orchids that were expected were missing. On closer inspection they had been nipped off along with a few hybrids so it looks like deer grazing but could have been caused by human.

Monkey orchids will not be good this year, I think due to the severe drought and cold this Spring. We have found quite a few but in many places the plants don’t seem to have even sent up leaves. A few were in bud so we will have flowers but not many. I would expect them to appear next weekend at the very earliest.

Prob a bit early for Homefield Wood this weekend

Man x Monkey Hybrid

A Flickr acquaintance has found what looks to be a Man X Monkey hybrid in Kent today. Mike Waller is checking it out tomorrow

That's all I know atm.

Can anyone help me plan a visit to Wales? I'd like to see Fen Orchids at Kenfig and possibly Small White Orchids ( I have no location for those). Is there an overlap in flowering time when I would have a chance to see both on one trip? If anyone can help me out with either site and any other rare plants (not just orchids) I would be most grateful. DM please if sensitive sites.
Thanks
Dave
PS Lady, Fly, Common Twayblade out at Stockbury, Early Purples now going over. Couldn't find the single Lesser Butterfly, hope it hasn't been picked! Saw its rosette a few weeks ago was looking promising.

Denbighshire

I've been to see the Frog Orchids at 'the Place of the Eagles'. The group including the largest specimens are in leaf, or flower buds just appearing. The smaller, pale flowered plants' flowers are just opening.

Attachments

• ery_2016_frog1.jpg
    ery_2016_frog1.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 126
  • ery_2016_frog2.jpg
    ery_2016_frog2.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 148
  • ery_2016_frog3.jpg
    ery_2016_frog3.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 184
  • ery_2016_frog4.jpg
    ery_2016_frog4.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Denbighshire EPOs

Nearby on the slopes of the hill that houses Graig Quarry the Early Purples are in full flower. Some growing along a footpath, others forming large colonies, with some nice mature specimens

Attachments

• ery_2016_epo2.jpg
    ery_2016_epo2.jpg
    454.6 KB · Views: 138
  • ery_2016_epo3.jpg
    ery_2016_epo3.jpg
    693.1 KB · Views: 159
  • ery_2016_epo4.jpg
    ery_2016_epo4.jpg
    948.9 KB · Views: 155
  • ery_2016_epo5.jpg
    ery_2016_epo5.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 142
  • ery_2016_epo6.jpg
    ery_2016_epo6.jpg
    633.3 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
East Sussex orchids

A great morning walk to Caburn Bottom where the first Burnt Orchids are just out. The stop start weather is leading to odd timing round here, and though snowdrops, bluebells and now cowslips are really profuse this year, other flowers on a go slow and less abundant. Hard to tell with Burnt orchids higher they are late, or its a bad year or a big of both. I saw around a couple of dozen out today but wouldn't be surprised if we don't see a many more now they are starting to flower, going on to look good in the bank holiday weekend.

Then an Eve walk to Castle Hill NNR where after a slow start, the Early Spider
Orchids are suddenly in pretty much full flower. Some spikes have flowers still to emerge but many are now out, probably a couple of hundred seen in super condition in a lovely location in lovely light. This weekend likely the best to see them, next weekend there will still be plenty out but starting to go over after then. For me, this is the best year I've seen in the last three, fantastic rare flowers in abundance and great condition.

Though orchids in sun from mid morning , both sites are best for photos in evening light, especially Caburn, by the way.

Will try to get some photos up over the weekend.

Northumbria

Hi,

I’m going to be in Northumbria during the first week of June and am planning to look for a couple of species I’ve not seen before: Lesser Twayblade and Coralroot Orchid. I understand that Holystone Northwood/Burn is good for the former and the Snook on Holy Island for the latter but any additional more specific info would be really appreciated. PM me if you think it’s necessary.

I assume I’m way too early for either Lindisfarne/’Tyne’ Helleborine?

Thanks,
Toby

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back