• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

75 to 100 House Sparrows (1 Viewer)

Stonechat2

Tooty Fruity Member
Last night i filled up my two nut feeders, one large seed feeder, hung up three fat balls, put seed on the table and i spilled a fair amount of seed on the floor, them 20k bags of seed are quite heavy you know. Then at about 7:00pm about a hour after filling everything. Three dense flocks of House Sparrow decended on my rear garden. There was about 30 on the floor feeding, severn around my bird bath, both nut feedes had two on and many others around, each fat ball was took up and a quewe for them. My seed feeder was surrounded along with the bird table. They were lining the fence and there were many, many others in the tree and the shrubs. I watched in amazement as last year the highest i recorde in my garden was around the 30 mark. Alot were juveniles and i know many will not survive the winter. Has anyone else had a super influx like this. Also ther was a flock of over 30 Starlings flying around. It was amazing to see such a amount of birds in such a small area.

Hi Stonechat,

yes, like you I've got an abundance of sparrows in my garden - last count 65 and rising. They just sit on the privet hedge that runs down the length of the garden and make short work of all the food I put out for them - currently getting through 2 litres of seed per day. Great to watch them squabble at the feeder though!

Hi Stephen. As you know I only live about 2 mile away from you and we don't get any House sparrows and only the occasional Starling. There must be something in the seed at Coseley ;) Can you send a few sparrows down our way? See you John.

Last edited:
Hi Mike,
That's a shame :-(

Hi Geedub
Tell me about it, i don't know how they manage to eat it all, however when your getting the Collared doves and Woodpigeons as well, they do take there toll.

Hi Jwaldo
As i have said, i was totally amazed at the amount that suddenly descended into th garden.

Best ever.

Stonechat2 said:
Last night i filled up my two nut feeders, one large seed feeder, hung up three fat balls, put seed on the table and i spilled a fair amount of seed on the floor, them 20k bags of seed are quite heavy you know. Then at about 7:00pm about a hour after filling everything. Three dense flocks of House Sparrow decended on my rear garden. There was about 30 on the floor feeding, severn around my bird bath, both nut feedes had two on and many others around, each fat ball was took up and a quewe for them. My seed feeder was surrounded along with the bird table. They were lining the fence and there were many, many others in the tree and the shrubs. I watched in amazement as last year the highest i recorde in my garden was around the 30 mark. Alot were juveniles and i know many will not survive the winter. Has anyone else had a super influx like this. Also ther was a flock of over 30 Starlings flying around. It was amazing to see such a amount of birds in such a small area.
Hi stonechat, thought it was just me, like yourself we have not had a year like this for about 4years. its wonderfull to see so many juv house sparrows eating so much seed, our bill has shot up these last few month's but boy is it worth it. Just to see the adults feeding the little un's is a joy to see. We seem to have about the same numbers as you!! how are you doing with blackbirds & starlings? they must be on at least 4th brood to be bringing so many fledglings to feed. Will be out again to top up the tables and put out sultanas boy is it fun!
bert.

Hi Bert,

There is a small increase in Blackbird as i am seeig them more often in the garden, the one blackbird keeps chasing another one out my garden.
Starlings are also very numeous, they don't all come into the arden but i regularly see flocks of them flying round, there are alot of juveniles about at the moment.

Can't match your numbers, but for several years we have a flock of around 30 very noisy, greedy sparrows in and around the garden all year. Understand from posts by Jake and BrianB that this is not unusual on the W.Sussex coast.

Ther was a news item locally of a flock, estimated at 10,000 starlings around Brighton beach a few months ago (March/April?). Another sight not seen for years?

Last edited:
Well most of you will be pretty unimpressed with this, but today (in fact about 2 hours ago) we had 8 House Sparrows in our garden. It took us ages to get any, then we began to notice a male and a female visiting. Is this the rest of the family do you suppose?

Either way, we're over the moon!

birdman said:
Well most of you will be pretty unimpressed with this, but today (in fact about 2 hours ago) we had 8 House Sparrows in our garden. It took us ages to get any, then we began to notice a male and a female visiting. Is this the rest of the family do you suppose?

Fingers crossed birdman, could be a good sign. just taken the granchildren home and the love of my life was stood by our kitchen window, and she had just counted 80 house sparrows, out to fill the tables again!! good luck hope you get some more visits.
bert.

You think you've got problems - I had 82 (YES EIGHTY TWO) Jackdaws down on my garden feeders, either hanging on peanuts, seed feeders or squabbling on the ground at the dishes last week! My garden is only smallish - and the bit in question where the feeders are is about 30ft x 15 ft. When I completed my BTO Garden Birdwatch form last week, not surprisingly I got the "are you sure" question! I have three chickens (small ones) and I am going through a 20 kilo sack of wild bird seed, and about 10 kilos of mixed corn a week at present. I also have about 20 House Sparrows visiting, but no Starlings, they come back about November usually. The Jackdaws must have had a phenominal breeding season this year, never seen or had so many around, its normally only about 20 at most coming down to feed.

In my garden the sparrow numbers have gone right up, I now get about 30 regular visiters last year it was about 6, but I haven't seen a song thrush for ages which concerns me.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I to have no Songthrushes at all in my area, are they declining or have the numbers stabelised in the last few years?

Hi Birdman,

Eight house sparrows are better than none and i bet next year they will have increased in numbers again.

Hi Paul,

I never seen such a numerous flock, now that's a sight that i would like to see.

Hi Songbird,

Your getting through that much food, i'm either being tight in distributing it or you are an exceedingly generous woman, good on ya :)

birdman said:

Know the feeling birdman, my best count is 15. I was staying in Norfolk and the village I was staying in had loads of them. Strangely I also saw more Yellowhammers and Song Thrushes than Tits!!

Hi Pete,

Are tits havin a bad year or something, i only ask because 3 months ago they were visiting the garden all the time and i havn't seen any for about the last month. Or is it just because they are having to look after there young, but wouldn't they come themselves for food. Peanuts are meant to be a great food for them.

Steven

Stonechat2 said:
Are tits havin a bad year or something, i only ask because 3 months ago they were visiting the garden all the time and i havn't seen any for about the last month. Or is it just because they are having to look after there young, but wouldn't they come themselves for food. Peanuts are meant to be a great food for them
They've had a good breeding season around here. But if Pete had good numbers of Yellowhammers, it probably means it was a farmland area with not too many trees, so not really tit habitat.

'Bout yours, they're probably in the tops of the trees in the nearest woodland, looking for caterpillars, which are a much better food than peanuts for recently fledged tits. You could try putting caterpillars in your feeders . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back