• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTO garden birdwatch (1 Viewer)

chris3871

Explorer Extraordinaire
Hi.

Does anyone here fill in the weekly BTO Garden Birdwatch forms? I always do the annual RSPB one, and thought it might be good to have a go at these. I've been on the webpage and done some research, but wondered if there was anyone with first hand experience. (I already take part in migration watch)

Chris

I do take part in Garden birdwatch. I fill out the online form. I enjoy it as it make me constantly aware of whats in my backyard (all be it very few birds compared to some!!) Also you can keep track of what has occured, when and how often.

Joser4red said:
I do take part in Garden birdwatch. I fill out the online form. I enjoy it as it make me constantly aware of whats in my backyard (all be it very few birds compared to some!!) Also you can keep track of what has occured, when and how often.

Thanks for the reply. I think that I'll start doing it, i spend alot of time looking at the birds anyway.

I've been doing it since July 1995, and started filling it in online as soon as this was available. The online version can take much more detailed information than the paper one could. I still have all my records, because I put out a new printed sheet each week, where I note my sightings, and in fact we both watch. I keep the sheet on the dining room windowsill, then it can have sightings added whenever they happen.

I feel this must be far more useful than the occasional one hour watching that the RSPB does.

Could anyone post me a link?

We record our Garden Birds (such that we are home to see) daily, but I wasn't aware of the BTO daily count.

Actually... quick question while I'm here... is it a list of species that is required, or a count?

Also, will I be able to post my historic data (about a year or so's worth)?

birdman said:
Actually... quick question while I'm here... is it a list of species that is required, or a count?

Also, will I be able to post my historic data (about a year or so's worth)?

It is actually a count of how many you see of each species at any one time. There is a list of the ten that are reckoned to be the ones usually seen most, followed by a long list of other species, then you can add in the "specials" to your garden. You are asked about what foods you have provided each week, and you can also list other fauna. You mustn't count birds flying over, unless they are actually hunting over your garden.

When you enrol, you are asked to give some details of your garden - size, trees, shrubs, pond etc - and they do ask for a contribution (£12 I think) towards the costs.

I'm not sure about the historical data, though I think it could be likely. Mike Toms is the person in charge of GBW, and I've always found him helpful

they collect the info weekly.

within the £12 you get a book with info about the 40 or so commonest garden birds

Hello all,
I also do the count. It's great to see the differences between years in my garden, and then compare them with other parts of the country via the maps.
I bought the new book as well. Reckon it's a good one!
cheers
Mary

I keep a piece of paper by my garden window to note birds down on and transfer this to the BTO count via the web at the end of the week. It's by far my easiest birdwatching, and it's nice to feel somebody can actually make use of this data.

I was unaware of the daily! I thought it was yearly! That's why I forgot about it and haven't done it since 1999! (just got back into birding since about then)

pduxon said:
they collect the info weekly.

within the £12 you get a book with info about the 40 or so commonest garden birds

You still have the option of posting in your weekly records every quarter, via a machine read chart, but this is not as detailed as the online version. It doesn't matter if you can't spend a lot of time in watching - as long as you are fairly consistent from week to week.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back