• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jandia fuerteventura. (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Possibly looking at a package trip to Jandia next week. Has anyone successfully found a daytrip bird guide for fuertaventura

I’ve already seen the bustards and coursers on previous trips but do need the chat, black bellied sandgrouse and Barbary ground squirrel

I won’t have a car but I guess could look into getting one for a day.

Anyone got any experience of getting those species near Jandia or even better a contact for a guide.

I see a Derek At fuertaventura birdwatch mentioned but can’t find any recent links

Edit. Just looked at hire car prices for the day and they are very good so if anyone just has good sites for those three species near Jandia I’d love to hear them

Last edited:
B G-Squirrel are at plague proportions on the shore/cliffs in and north of Caleta de Fuste (where the Red-billed Tropicbird is showing on and off more or less daily - generally best when I'm not there :rolleyes:;) ). They look to be routinely fed and consequently ridiculously tame. Not near Jandia I know, but I would be surprised if they weren't easy elsewhere.

I'm on the island for the rest of the month for my sins, based in the CdF area. Only thing of note so far is a pretty strong Gannet passage (95 north in 90 minutes the other day) plus a couple of Cory's Shears. Oh, Algerian Hedgehog at our digs was pretty good though.

we’re currently looking at 4 nights with one day hire car. Doesn’t look like a horrendous drive. The hedgehog would be amazing but not expecting it.

You seeing many butterflies?

we’re currently looking at 4 nights with one day hire car. Doesn’t look like a horrendous drive. The hedgehog would be amazing but not expecting it.

You seeing many butterflies?
Not here no. The odd Painted Lady and Geranium Bronze. Did pretty well for butterflies on Tenerife (spent most of January on the north coast and will be posting a short report on here in a bit). There's been an influx of Vagrant Emperors with the latest calimas.

When I was here two years ago I had the Chat in quite a few places, but I was based right up in the north. Furthest south was Ajuy on the west coast. Easy there in the valley near the car park. Check out my report here for more:

Not here no. The odd Painted Lady and Geranium Bronze. Did pretty well for butterflies on Tenerife (spent most of January on the north coast and will be posting a short report on here in a bit). There's been an influx of Vagrant Emperors with the latest calimas.

When I was here two years ago I had the Chat in quite a few places, but I was based right up in the north. Furthest south was Ajuy on the west coast. Easy there in the valley near the car park. Check out my report here for more:

Thanks. I remember reading that at the time and really enjoying it. I’ll give it another read after work today

Possibly looking at a package trip to Jandia next week. Has anyone successfully found a daytrip bird guide for fuertaventura

I’ve already seen the bustards and coursers on previous trips but do need the chat, black bellied sandgrouse and Barbary ground squirrel

I won’t have a car but I guess could look into getting one for a day.

Anyone got any experience of getting those species near Jandia or even better a contact for a guide.

I see a Derek At fuertaventura birdwatch mentioned but can’t find any recent links

Edit. Just looked at hire car prices for the day and they are very good so if anyone just has good sites for those three species near Jandia I’d love to hear them

Derek Bradbury sadly died some time ago and I don't know of any other active guides out there at present. It is quite easy to do on your own but a car is best.

As everyone has said the ground squirrels are everywhere - the areas around the Mattoral at Morro Jable are alive with them and they will run up to you begging.

The best place that I found for Sandgrouse on a recent trip was Embalse de Los Molinos, and I have had them regularly there previously - quite some way from Jandia though.

The Stonechat can be found in lots of places with patience. Once again they are in the Mattoral but quite flightly and I also had a pair showing very well on Sotovento in the scrub at the back of the lagoon. You can get there from Costa Calma although it is a long walk, but you may pick up other things along the way and there are usually a number of waders around, including Spoonbills.

Finally, the Red-billed Tropicbird has been showing well and regularly behind the Atlantico shopping centre in Caleta - for some reason from 3.00pm onwards has been the most reliable period. You will need patience but when it arrives it usually shows for some time.

Derek Bradbury sadly died some time ago and I don't know of any other active guides out there at present. It is quite easy to do on your own but a car is best.

As everyone has said the ground squirrels are everywhere - the areas around the Mattoral at Morro Jable are alive with them and they will run up to you begging.

The best place that I found for Sandgrouse on a recent trip was Embalse de Los Molinos, and I have had them regularly there previously - quite some way from Jandia though.

The Stonechat can be found in lots of places with patience. Once again they are in the Mattoral but quite flightly and I also had a pair showing very well on Sotovento in the scrub at the back of the lagoon. You can get there from Costa Calma although it is a long walk, but you may pick up other things along the way and there are usually a number of waders around, including Spoonbills.

Finally, the Red-billed Tropicbird has been showing well and regularly behind the Atlantico shopping centre in Caleta - for some reason from 3.00pm onwards has been the most reliable period. You will need patience but when it arrives it usually shows for some time.
The Tropicbird has not shown at all on several days recently but I'm assured it will still be around. I've been there for 3 out of the past 6 days and no-one has seen it on those days. Was seen well on at least 2 of the other days though. I'll be there again this afternoon.

Thank you Alf sad news about derek Bradbury who seems to have done a lot for birders on the island.

I’ve booked a hirecar for a day and there are some good looking tracks near my hotel. Doubt if I’ll get everything as im only there for a few days and it is a short family break rather than birding but it should be fun

Sorry for the double reply. Just googled Morro jable and it seems to be practically outside my hotel (occidental jandia mar). Is that correct or is there another morro jable?

Sorry for the double reply. Just googled Morro jable and it seems to be practically outside my hotel (occidental jandia mar). Is that correct or is there another morro jable?
That hotel is in Morro Jable. Jandia is the name of the whole of the peninsula from Costa Calma to the lighthouse at the western point.

You can get a bus to Costa Calma if you fancy the long walk down to Sotovento.

There is an abandoned zoo in Morro Jable, right on the front opposite the lighthouse (faro) which holds flocks of Monk Parakeet and Sacred Ibis if you fancy something a little different.

The Tropicbird has not shown at all on several days recently but I'm assured it will still be around. I've been there for 3 out of the past 6 days and no-one has seen it on those days. Was seen well on at least 2 of the other days though. I'll be there again this afternoon.

That is unlucky. I was there during the last week of January and had good views every time that I visited. Maybe it ha started nesting in earnest.

Good luck!

That hotel is in Morro Jable. Jandia is the name of the whole of the peninsula from Costa Calma to the lighthouse at the western point.

You can get a bus to Costa Calma if you fancy the long walk down to Sotovento.

There is an abandoned zoo in Morro Jable, right on the front opposite the lighthouse (faro) which holds flocks of Monk Parakeet and Sacred Ibis if you fancy something a little different.

Thanks for all the info

I’ll hopefully see some cat A sacred ibis later in the year but it still seems like a cool place to have a walk around and it’s very close to the hotel

Would I be ok in assuming I will probably just see Atlantic lizard at some point (have seen it before but never photographed) and that eastern canary gecko is unlikely unless I happen to accidentally see one

That is unlucky. I was there during the last week of January and had good views every time that I visited. Maybe it ha started nesting in earnest.

Good luck!
Another no show today. :( Would a lone bird be doing much nesting?

Would I be ok in assuming I will probably just see Atlantic lizard at some point (have seen it before but never photographed) and that eastern canary gecko is unlikely unless I happen to accidentally see one

I've found Atlantic Lizard quite scarce but seen them in a few places. Best spot for me was Faro de Tostón near El Cotillo. I've never seen Eastern Canary Gecko.

The golf course at Jandia is prob the best local area for birds, esp migrants when theyre about.. Bing Maps . The fenced off scrub near the lighthouse can be productive at times, plus theres normally a few Ground Sqirrels in that area as well. As for the Black-bellied Sandgrouse, the closest area is prob inland from Costa Calma, but are far from guaranteed during the drought.. P.s, what dates are you thinking ?, as im there from the 17th for 3 weeks and know the island like the back of my hand..

The golf course at Jandia is prob the best local area for birds, esp migrants when theyre about.. Bing Maps . The fenced off scrub near the lighthouse can be productive at times, plus theres normally a few Ground Sqirrels in that area as well. As for the Black-bellied Sandgrouse, the closest area is prob inland from Costa Calma, but are far from guaranteed during the drought.. P.s, what dates are you thinking ?, as im there from the 17th for 3 weeks and know the island like the back of my hand..
If you are travelling north at all, I was talking to someone yesterday who had 2 Sandgrouse feeding with/near feral pigeons at Las Salinas in the past couple of days. They have also been seen a few times here (Barranco de la Muley) in the past week, an area I'll hopefully have time to check out myself now I've finally got the troublesome Tropicbird out of the way (took 6 attempts!).

By the way, I've seen Atlantic Lizard most times I've explored the stream (with plenty of water in) at the south edge of the Atlantico complex (Caleta de Fuste area).

Were there 14th to 18th. So only just overlap. Looks like most of my birding will be 16th when I have a car. Thanks for the info very helpful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back