• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SE price poll (1 Viewer)

bh46118

This thread is dedicated to Brock |:D|

Post discontinuation, how much have you, or will you pay for an excellent SE.

8X32 ?

10X42 ?

12X50 ?

Since only an SF, SV EL or EDG could beat an SE, because they have ED glass...

8X32 ? - less than $2,600

10X42 ? - less than $2,600

12X50 ? - less than $2,600

And that applies only to the Eco-Glass models with the latest AR coatings.

Brock

8X32 ? $200. For the curiosity value

10X42 ? $0. Don't like 10s

12X50 ? ?100 (maybe). Never handled a 12

Last edited:
I have owned three Nikon SE 8x32s. All were bought either used on Ebay or refurbished through CLNY. Prices varied between $300-$400. Haven't owned the 10x42 or 12x50

Hi Frank

What caused you to get rid of them ?

Bruce,

There were different reasons depending on the unit. The last one I owned was right around the same time as I bought the Sightron SII. In comparing the two I found the Sightron to offer much the same level of enjoyment but in a more robust waterproof package. Plus I liked the ergonomics of the Sightron better.

The other two ? Good question. I owned them during my try, buy, sell, buy something else period.

Bruce,

In asking that question I think you may have tapped into one of the other reasons I sold at least one of the SEs...field of view. At one point I was completely focused on the widest field of view possible. Since the ED2s sported a 420 foot + field of view I think I tended to hold them in slightly higher regard at the time.

Going by memory is a dangerous thing but if you are asking about my lasting impressions then I would probably tell you that the ED2 will be a bit brighter and slightly better at controlling CA. Of course the field of view is going to be wider. The SE has that beautifully sharp edge to edge performance plus the 3D effect makes the image more immersive.

Thanks Frank

The ED2 is VERY nice, and I believe the AllBinos review places too much emphasis on a couple of easy to overlook faults while not pointing out clearly enough how fabulous the image is, especially for the price.

Bruce

Bruce,

In asking that question I think you may have tapped into one of the other reasons I sold at least one of the SEs...field of view. At one point I was completely focused on the widest field of view possible. Since the ED2s sported a 420 foot + field of view I think I tended to hold them in slightly higher regard at the time.

Going by memory is a dangerous thing but if you are asking about my lasting impressions then I would probably tell you that the ED2 will be a bit brighter and slightly better at controlling CA. Of course the field of view is going to be wider. The SE has that beautifully sharp edge to edge performance plus the 3D effect makes the image more immersive.

I have owned three Nikon SE 8x32s. All were bought either used on Ebay or refurbished through CLNY. Prices varied between $300-$400. Haven't owned the 10x42 or 12x50

After reading all these low ball prices including Frank's, the King of Cheap, the Sultan of Savings, the Prince of Paupers, I can see I might have a hard time getting a fair market price for my 550xxx SE if I sold it on BF Classifieds. Thanks a lot for dedicating this thread to me BH! :C

But don't forget several things: (1) The SE's Frank and others had were bought before the SEs were discontinued and the price shot up to $799; (2) the latest versions with Eco-Glass have better AR coatings than the older models, and to connoisseurs that should be worth more $, it was to me; and (3) refurb models only have a 90-day warranty, after that repairs are out of your pocket.

USED SEs are repaired or replaced under Nikon's No Fault Policy for $10 + return shipping. That's a BIG plus in my book (due out this fall in Bantam paperback before Bill's).

Now that the SE's are discontinued, people won't be flipping them like burgers, but holding on to them since the scarcity will sort out the testers and curiosity seekers from the true Porromaniacs.

Consequently, I think we will see USED SEs increase in value in the future. The harder they become to find, the higher they will be priced.

Brock

Had one 8x32 503XXX and unfortunately I sold it to friend for 130€, so bad decision :C , It was very good binocular which I liked for walking with dog to park because of portability... Now i will be happy with it, sometimes looking if some good price appear for newer ones, but only what I found was 700€+.... in last months because of discontinued.
I found that 10x42 and 12x50 can be purchased around 600€+
but I am worried in case of these about CA presence...

Anyway, is central sharpness and contrast of E2 on par with SE?
I found that it is possible to buy these under 400€

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back