• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How's the Reputation for VORTEX Binos? (1 Viewer)

MUHerd

Hey all,

I was nosing thru some threads on another forum I have been a member of for many years. I came upon a few threads about BINOS. This is a Firearm board so it's not unusual for there to be talk about Binos from time to time.
I read several of them and from what I could see, quite a few of them were talking about how good VORTEX binos are. Some talked about getting rid of their "whatever" brand Bino to get VORTEX branded binos.
Now that my interest was raised about them, I thought I'd come here and ask the people that REALLY KNOW about optics and BINOS....BIRDERS.

So, I'd like to ask you guys and gals about VORTEX binos. What kind of reputation do they have? Specifically, how are their models in the Sub $500 range in 8x and 10x? How is the optical quality and how do they stand up to models from Nikon like the Monarch 5 and 7 as well as other models of binos in that price range like the ZEISS TERRA 10x42?

Any info you want to add about VORTEX, feel free. You never can have too much info. Right?

Thank you for your time and any help you care to give.

Larry

The reputation of Vortex is excellent. They have one of the best warranties in the business.

Have you discovered the Allbinos website which has its own evaluations of binoculars? You will find more factual information about the binoculars specifications there more efficiently than you will here on Bird Forum: Things like eye relief, field of view, brightness and such. You will also find Allbinos numerical ratings for each binocular too.

Of course, there are differences of opinion about Allbinos opinions which you will find here on Bird Forum.;)

http://www.allbinos.com/rankings.html

Start with the Allbinos 8x32 rankings and compare their rankings and the separate reviews of the Monarch 7 8x30 and the Vortex 8x32 Viper which I think is being discontinued. Eagle Optics only lists the budget priced 8x32 Diamondback

Then you can move on to the 8x42s and 10x42s; comparing the Vortex models with Nikon's and with other brands if you are interested.

Bob

Last edited:
So, I'd like to ask you guys and gals about VORTEX binos. What kind of reputation do they have? Specifically, how are their models in the Sub $500 range in 8x and 10x? How is the optical quality and how do they stand up to models from Nikon like the Monarch 5 and 7 as well as other models of binos in that price range like the ZEISS TERRA 10x42?

Any info you want to add about VORTEX, feel free. You never can have too much info. Right?

Thank you for your time and any help you care to give.

Larry

Hi Larry...
Vortex binoculars have a really good reputation all the way around IMO. I've specifically owned the Razor HD and several models of the Viper HD. Optics and quality of construction is really good for the money. Their customer service is top notch as well. The Viper HD is on sale here and there. It would be a safe bet for a sub-$500 binocular. Smooth focus, quality construction, and nice optics. FOV is slightly less than some but you'd honestly probably never notice it.

I have a Zeiss Terrra HD 8X42 currently I'm using some. I no longer have the Viper HD to directly compare but feel like the Viper HD is a little better quality but the Terra HD is still a nice binocular which currently can be found for $203 at midway usa. You'll never find a better binocular for that amount.

HTH...

Yeah I saw that price at Midway when I was searching for info on them the other day. I think I'm gonna sell my Binos and get a new set. I wouldn't mind that Zeiss Terra at all!! With as much good stuff that I have read about Vortex, I wouldn't mind having a set of those too.

There's so many great binos out there. Makes it very hard to choose when you can't pick them up, hold them and put them up to your eyes to see how they look and compare them to others.
It is what it is I guess.

I would feel totally comfortable with taking your recommendations. You all know Binos, you've been using them regularly for years.

I'll check out that site Ceasar. Thanks for that link. Chill, good info on the Vortex and Terra binos you had and used.

Thank you both for your help.
Larry

Have you discovered the Allbinos website which has its own evaluations of binoculars? You will find more factual information about the binoculars specifications there more efficiently than you will here on Bird Forum: Things like eye relief, field of view, brightness and such.

Unquote

As far as eye relief is concerned, I suspect that Allbinos does not measure this parameter, as it does with many others, but merely quotes what the brander states, which may be something different.

Hi Larry,

A good friend of mine have the Vortex Viper 8x42 and I have Swarovski SLC 15X56 (the latest).
We often go glassing together in the Mountains, and swap our Binos often too during glassing sessions for obvious reasons (Either he wants to see more details or I want better depth of field).

We spent hours doing just that, and at the end, we both agreed that even the image given by the Swaro is the brightest (56mm+AK Prisms) and is sharp 100% of the field (including edges), we don't really see much difference in the center of the field (chromatic abberation being another subject).

I really would love to have noticed a difference that would explain that the SLC cost 3-4 times
the price of the Viper (in Europe) but I haven't.

And to be honest, I now have decided to buy a pair of Viper 8x42 too, for glassing sessions in the forest.

To me, the Vortex are really good quality for their price.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
I can't really comment on the quality side of Vortex optics since I only have their cheaper offerings (Diamondback range) and have barely looked through their higher-end bins. I think the Diamondbacks are, for the most part, good enough at the price - but you do get what you pay for. What I can say, though, having dealt with Vortex on a warranty matter, is they are excellent at honoring their commitments. No trouble at all, very easy to deal with and more than just willing to make good on their promises. I'd mark them as 10 out of 10 for customer service.

...Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back