• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garganey ( Anas querquedula ) (1 Viewer)

StevieEvans

Found 4 of these birds today on North Tees Marshes.

They were not the closest birds on the pool, but i was confident of the first bird's ID as soon as i saw it.

I assumed that this was a female, with 3 full grown young.

(the initial bird, as well as having the obvious head patterning, was far paler & body/head markings stood out more. It was alert & looking around, obviously watching out for the other 3 which were constantly dabbling. Another 2 small ducks were close by, but were not clearly seen)

While watching this adult bird it began preening & i got a good view of a bright pale grey forewing as it slowly stretched.......................

I showed the birds to other birders, who agreed on the Species.

It wasn't till i got home to check up in my field guide, that i realised RATHER OBVIOUSLY NOW ! that its only the Male Garganey which has this coloured forewing !

(i KNOW the 3 WERE young birds, but ONLY in the sense that you know ,for example, youre looking at a young Mallard when its alongside its parent)

Q. Basically what im trying to understand for myself... is...... "WHY are what i've seen, what they are...? "

Q. Do Male Garg. share in any parental duties ?

Q. Anyone else Know what i mean ?

I WAS going to end this Ramble by saying i think i need to learn some bird body bits, AND take my fieldguide with me next time. !
BUT...! on Second thoughts i think i'll go for the logical soloution and stick a digi-cam on the end of the scope......then ASK YOU LOT.......! :t:

Stevie (sunburned on Nape, Mantle & Scapulars)

Hi Steve,

I know what you mean about them - males I have no problem with ;) I've seen three together quite regularly on Dormans Pool at the moment, though they are flitting about between the other ponds.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back