• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars advice needed, please! (1 Viewer)

craig braddick

Hi People:

I am returning this fall to my previous profession of horse race calling (commentating for those of you in the UK) and have been trying out various binoculars which are of course the essential part of my kit.

I have upto $400 to spend on a pair. Here are some of the qualities I am looking for.

1. Must have good light intake. Horse racing often takes place under floodlights.

2. Must be less than 30 ounces. I have Arthritis in my hands. Even as I type, my hands hurt 30 mins after handling an old pair of Zeiss Jenoptems (my old Bins of choice)

3. Focusing wheel must be easy to turn, once again because of arthritis.

4. 8X magnification. 10 just shakes too much in my hands.

5. Will be used every day for five monhts. So must be durable.

Here are some that have caught my attention, I would appreciate your views:

Swift 8.5x44 Audubon Porros.
Swift Audubon 8.5x44 Roof Prism

Anyone tried both, thoughts?

Swift Ultra 8x42 Roof Prism
Audubon Classic Equinox 8x42
Audubon Equinox HP 8x42
Eagle Optics Ranger SRT 8x42
Eagle Optics Denali PC 8x42
Vortex Diamondback 8x42
Vortex Fury 8x42
Celestron Noble 8x42

Any others?

Really do not want to deal with Nikon as I have had a lot of bad luck with their products in the past. Also are Eagle Optics a good and reputable company to deal with?

Many thanks

Craig

I love the view in my Audubon porros but they are right on your weight limit, I just put mine on the scales and including the rainguard and neckstrap they came to 30.6oz.

I have a pair of Swift Audubon 8.5x44 Roof Prisms and am extremely pleased with them. I think they are possibly a bit tougher and more waterproof than the Swift porros although I have no experience of them. I also have a faithful old pair of Zeiss 10x50 Jenoptems at home and can confirm that the Swifts are much lighter and smaller than those.

Ron

Eagle Optics honor their liberal return policy; ship promptly and are courteous. I believe that may make them "a good and reputable company."

I read that there is a Vortex Viper, of which I have no knowledge, available as a Demo:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=vortexviper8x42
I have bought from this firm in person, so I would clarify any return policy before a possible purchase.

Happy observing,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
I am looking into getting a pair of 8x42s in your price range, and was originally thinking of the Swift Audubon HHSes. However, a dealer I know and trust recommends the Vortex Broadwings very highly as a better buy than the Swifts, and only for $30-40 more. The Broadwings also get a lot of recommendations on this site as well.

I just placed an order for the Broadwing. Will let you know how it turns out.

Vandit

Hi Craig

Have you thought about Canon image stabilised binoculars? A rather colourful well known commentator here in the UK dangles a pair of 10x30 (or 12x36) round his neck.

Any slight loss in brightness over more conventional configurations would be made up for by the detail available in a stabilised image.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back