• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

nikon p510 (1 Viewer)

gtis

hi
i am thinking about getting a p510 can anybody
recomend some setting for bird photos in trees
so the focus locks on to the bird and not the tree branch
thanks neil

That's something we all struggle with. The camera AF system picks the subject it thinks you want without knowing it is a small stick or twig. I find with long lenses it might even pick something I can't see through the viewfinder - like a twig a few inches in front of the subject.

The AF on the P510 camera has several AF modes. Auto simply lets the camera choose the AF target. Center only uses the center sensor. But there is a Manual Focus mode that lets you select the sensor. Try Manual Focus and pick a sensor on the subject.

A related technique is Focus and Recompose. I'm not sure whether it works on your camera. With this technique you could use the Center Focus mode and put the AF sensor on the subject. Depress the shutter halfway to focus, then while holding the shutter halfway depressed, recompose your image. This only works if your camera allows you to separate focus from shutter release by depressing the shutter halfway and then fully depressing to fire the shutter.

With most of the DSLR cameras, you have two other options. One is to simply use manual focus and manually adjust the focus until your subject is sharp. There is a small focus assist light seen through the viewfinder that can confirm focus is achieved. The other approach is a version of focus and recompose where you change the camera controls so the AE/AF lock button is used to activate focus. A large number of professionals use this technique.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back