• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

P950/1000 photo-camera - telescope? (1 Viewer)

Granpoli

Spain
Hello,
I have a terrestrial telescope that I use frequently when I go out into the field, I like photography too, I'm thinking of getting a camera with a large zoom to unify both hobbies, does anyone know if the Nikon P1000 or P950 can be used as a camera , as well telescope with powerful zoom?
In addition to birds, I like to observe airplanes and the moon.
Thank you
GPoli.

Hello,
I have a terrestrial telescope that I use frequently when I go out into the field, I like photography too, I'm thinking of getting a camera with a large zoom to unify both hobbies, does anyone know if the Nikon P1000 or P950 can be used as a camera , as well telescope with powerful zoom?
In addition to birds, I like to observe airplanes and the moon.
Thank you
GPoli.
The P1000 objective lens is large, it takes a 77mm filter, so the optics are comparable to those in a medium spotting scope.
It offers 125x zoom, starting from 24mm equivalent focal length.
Naked eye viewing has about the same width of view as a 50mm lens, so the camera will roughly give a 60x magnification at full zoom.
Of course, the P1000 is not waterproof and is certainly more delicate than a spotting scope, but given reasonable care, it should give very satisfactory views.

Hello,
But the videos and photographs that I have seen on the web show the objects, be it a bird, moon or plane... to give some examples, with greater magnification than a 60x spotting scope!
No?
thank you
Gpoli.

Hello,
But the videos and photographs that I have seen on the web show the objects, be it a bird, moon or plane... to give some examples, with greater magnification than a 60x spotting scope!
No?
thank you
Gpoli.
Yes, I was thinking of how to explain this.
If you think of a scope as real time viewing and tracking wildlife, then the camera can't compete.

But, if you were to use the camera, on a tripod ideally, and record the wildlife at the really high zoom. Then the play back could be on a par with a scope. (In fact better, as you have a permanent record).

Having said that, I'd never contemplate seawatching with a camera. Not sure why that sounds so unfeasible based on what I've said above. I think it's much harder to track moving things with the camera.

Hello,
No?
thank you
Gpoli.
Once you have the image, you can zoom in on the image (in camera viewing) or crop the image (on a computer afterwards. If you crop to 1/4 of the surface area of the image you would make it look like a lot more magnification than the scope.

We have discussed this before, but I will try to describe again. I do not bring a scope when I travel, only my camera (not one of the above mentioned models). However, I would bring the scope if I was expecting to spend hours more or less stationary looking for migrating raptors, looking for shorebirds in a large area of mudflats etc, due to the higher comfort of using the scope while watching.
Niels

Once you have the image, you can zoom in on the image (in camera viewing) or crop the image (on a computer afterwards. If you crop to 1/4 of the surface area of the image you would make it look like a lot more magnification than the scope.

We have discussed this before, but I will try to describe again. I do not bring a scope when I travel, only my camera (not one of the above mentioned models). However, I would bring the scope if I was expecting to spend hours more or less stationary looking for migrating raptors, looking for shorebirds in a large area of mudflats etc, due to the higher comfort of using the scope while watching.
Niels
When Traveling this can become quite a dilemma.
I tend to buckle at the last minute and always end up packing the scope as well!

The experience of using a real scope for observation cannot even be compared with using a camera. Having said that, the convinience of not having to carry a scope is enormous too.
I only carry the scope when I know 100% I will use it.
When I don't have it with me, for distant subjects I may detect with the binocs that "there is something" and then use the P1000 for identification.
I am sure I miss stuff that I would have picked up with the scope.
In summary, for identification the P1000 will do just fine, but for the experience of observing, scanning, etc, it will not cut it.

If you look on Youtube, people have posted up videos of Jupiter and Saturn they have taken with the Nikon P1000 or P950.

I have taken pictures of the moon on my P900 .... not bad, but I'm not too good a changing settings. Need more practise but cloudy skies.... LOL

Agree I

Niels
I agree with this. I couldn't sit sea-watching for hours with my camera. But I wouldn't take my scope unless I knew I'd need it. For when I got this camera I discovered that I was able to photograph a distant bird, then zoom in a bit more on the screen. In most cases I was able to identify it. Some with better skills than me, would probably be able to identify some of the remainder too.

I bought the P900 from a member in Australia when I was out there. I didn't miss my scope really, well maybe once when we were sea watching for about half an hour and I didn't see Gannets at all. Bit miffed about that! Someone further along had seen some passing at a great distance. But it wouldn't have been worth the weight of the Leica for that half hour in a 2 month holiday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back