• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron Af 70 - 300 F/4-5.6 (1 Viewer)

scott1991

Hi I was just wondering if anyone has any experience using this lens. I bought it a few months ago and have only really got started properly with wildlife photography. I have played around with settings a bit now and can get acceptable results but still nothing great. I mostly shoot handheld with ISO around 800 shutter speed of at least 1/500 F5.6 but still most of my shots are a bit blurry. Has anyone used this lens with good results or is it time to save and upgrade my lens?

From lack of response there aren't many people using this lens.
Before you upgrade double your settings and see if it makes a difference - 1/1000sec at f8. Don't worry about noise so double the iso too.
Then change the time of day that you photograph. I was photographing Oriental Pratincols at 1.00 pm on Wednesday with slight heat haze using Nikon D800 plus Nikon 300/2.8 plus Nikon 1.4x teleconverter . This lens is one of the best Nikon make. I didn't get one "keeper" . By 4.00 pm the light was much better. I only want to shoot for the first two hours of the day and the last two for good results
For these zoom lenses you need good quality light, not dull/overcast conditions.
Hope this helps,
Neil.

Hi thanks for the replay. I had gathered from the lack of replays that there wasn't a lot of people with this lens. I have being out since with the lens and got some good shots. But it is really a lens for bright clear days. looking to save for the nikon 400mm f/2.8 as I havent read a bad review on it yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back