• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darn those Zeiss 8x32 Fl's are great! (1 Viewer)

Dennis: Good for you, nice to hear from someone who is happy with their optic!

By the way, I was just out with my Nikon 8x32 SE, and I just don't know of anything
in a 8x32 that could be better, now I admit I have not tried the Zeiss. The view just doesn't get any better than these.

Jerry.

Dennis: Good for you, nice to hear from someone who is happy with their optic!

By the way, I was just out with my Nikon 8x32 SE, and I just don't know of anything
in a 8x32 that could be better, now I admit I have not tried the Zeiss. The view just doesn't get any better than these.

Jerry.

Sure it does. Try the Nikon 8x30 EII!8-P

I have the Nikon 8x32 SE's too and they are the best porro but the Zeiss IMO are one of the best roof's. Both are some of the best binoculars in the world.

Yes. I have owned several pairs of all the SE series at one time or another. But I find the view in the EIIs just more relaxing with less CA plus I am a sucker for their gorgeous ultra-widefields. However, the 8x is just a little small for me to hold comfortably and I don't like the way they hang off the strap. The 10x35 EII is just about perfect and the real pick of the small porro Nikon litter for me.

Hi Dennis,
I brought a pair of 8x32 Fl's over a year a go and have use them nearly every day and I'm with you they are GREAT, buying them, best thing birding wise I have ever done. My wife Christine who by the way was born just down the road in Denver Norfolk uses a pair of Nixon EII's and I would say if you can still find them buy them, they are the best porro prism on the market.

Good to hear from the other Denver ,all the best Nigel

Hello all,

It was a hard decision for me to decide to sell my Nikon EII, after buying the Zeiss FL. I decided to sell the EII because it is somewhat delicate compared to the FL and I can be clumsy. The colour rendition of FL is better while EII certainly has a more "relaxed" view than the SE, although a few find the field of view too wide. Binoculars are rather personal items.
Like Rick, I preferred the EII to the SE as the SE was too unfriendly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Yes. I have owned several pairs of all the SE series at one time or another. But I find the view in the EIIs just more relaxing with less CA plus I am a sucker for their gorgeous ultra-widefields. However, the 8x is just a little small for me to hold comfortably and I don't like the way they hang off the strap. The 10x35 EII is just about perfect and the real pick of the small porro Nikon litter for me.

Interesting how binoculars seem to fit us all just a bit differently. I enjoy the 8X30EII for most birding, but the 10x35EII finds use when more reach is needed. I find the 10x power to be about at and sometimes just a tad beyond my ability to hold a view for any time. For birds it is no problen because they are usually on the move. The wide fields are something to savor just on their own.

I have sworn off any more optics toy purchases, and have been on the wagon for 6mo.
I'm doing good, yes? BUT.....every time I see one a those 8x32FL's on ebay....admittedly, I've even bid on a couple, knowing full well I wouldn't win, but still,......over the weekend, a brand new one went for $1k US....got only one bid. You have no idea how hard it was not to jump in. All this, even though I know that, save for a little more fov, it would be no improvement at all over my SE. As an aside, a new 10x EII went for $465....yet another temptation I successfully overcame. (I think I'm startin' to the big head about my self-control.....that's trouble, what with 8x32FL's and those ^%$#* new Kowa scopes being available at the touch of a button on many websites....)

Spyglass, be careful.
Studies suggest a high relapse rate among reformed binoholics.
The risk is substantially increased for those following Ebay auctions or participating in fora on birding/optics sites.

I have sworn off any more optics toy purchases, and have been on the wagon for 6mo.
I'm doing good, yes? BUT.....every time I see one a those 8x32FL's on ebay....admittedly, I've even bid on a couple, knowing full well I wouldn't win, but still,......over the weekend, a brand new one went for $1k US....got only one bid. You have no idea how hard it was not to jump in. All this, even though I know that, save for a little more fov, it would be no improvement at all over my SE. As an aside, a new 10x EII went for $465....yet another temptation I successfully overcame. (I think I'm startin' to the big head about my self-control.....that's trouble, what with 8x32FL's and those ^%$#* new Kowa scopes being available at the touch of a button on many websites....)

Hello Spyglass,

I know the feeling as I have not made a purchase in ten months, 25 days, but who is counting?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

(I think I'm startin' to the big head about my self-control.....that's trouble, what with 8x32FL's and those ^%$#* new Kowa scopes being available at the touch of a button on many websites....)

Funny you should mention that, Spyglass. I´m having a little trouble at the moment resisting urges to search for Kowa TSN 883 reviews. As for the thread topic, I once looked through a TFL 8x32 in a UK shop, and was very impressed. My problem with 8x32 is that if you have a good 40mm, and a good pair of compacts (Victory or HGL, for example), they kind of complement each other sufficiently not to warrant a 32mm that would overlap both.

As the 3 previous posters can attest, I'm sure from similar experiences/periodic afflictions, binoholism is not quite a disease, but at least a formidable barrier to pragmatic, rational decisions and actions.....

I might add, matter-of-factly, that I've recently been able to pare down the inventory.....actually parted w/optics that were prized toys. This past weekend, a trade with a good friend of mine was finally completed, and 4 fave binos (some from a while back, even) and a scope/eyepiece are now at his place permanently. I have not suffered withdrawal (yet), so maybe I'm getting over the addiction and can be a "normal" birder, though 5 binos & a scope might still be considered a little radical. But I'm still workin' on maybe unloading another one, but don't bet next week's allowance on it.....

I went from several different 42mm to 32 mm Zeiss FL. I have never felt that a 42 mm would be better at any given time so far. Perhaps I don´t bird so much around dusk, or the FL has so good light transmission that they kept my happy all this time despite the smaller format. And my neck has been thankful all the time. It´s really a lot easier to live with and carry around a 32 mm all day compared to a 42 mm.

I went from several different 42mm to 32 mm Zeiss FL. I have never felt that a 42 mm would be better at any given time so far. Perhaps I don´t bird so much around dusk, or the FL has so good light transmission that they kept my happy all this time despite the smaller format. And my neck has been thankful all the time. It´s really a lot easier to live with and carry around a 32 mm all day compared to a 42 mm.

2nd that!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back