• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glossy ibis to breed this year? (1 Viewer)

dwatsonbirder

With another fairly typical late winter influx occuring this year, I wonder whether this could be the year we add another cicconiform to the list of UK breeders? Place your bets now...

I believe its roughly around thier 3rd or 4th calendar year. One never knows though, its possible more birds will be arriving shortly...

Who knows? There is a small historical mystery: whether "black curlew" reported in Anglo-Saxon Britain meant that Glossy Ibis bred in Britain several centuries ago? So breeding is at least not impossible.

Thanks for that CB, I suspected that thier range was expanding, though I couldnt find any in depth information. Interesting account as well Jurek, its not beyond the realms of possibility that this is the species inferred to, after all we had several species breeding at that time which we have since lost...Ballions crake, white stork ect. I wonder if they will establish themselves in the south west along with our other herons and allies?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back