• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I broke my SF so you don't have to... (1 Viewer)

Hi Jan!

Of course, I could have left out my last sentence, but I think it really goes without saying that how a company treats a customer (fairly or unfairly, doesn't matter) has a direct bearing of that customer's attitude towards that company and its products. I suppose Zeiss must know this since they have been very long in the business. ;)

But yeah, let's see how this turns out.

Good luck with this HighNorth, I'm sure corporate common sense will prevail, or is that something of a paradox....... Joking aside, there was clearly a flaw and there's only really one response Zeiss can make, not least as these are a new product intended for the top end of their market.

Aside from all the discourse on these binoculars in the forum they are a delight to use.

I don't care the angle, the temperature, the sun spot activity - a high quality bin should not snap like that, no excuses.

Quality is fitness for use in the eyes of the consumer. Clearly this is not fitness for use as binoculars are field gear and need to be robust.

People = its ?
Wrong grammar? My english in not that good.

FYI, in case you are confused by the mention of gender, "people" is plural in English, so even though we sometimes speak of "a people who...", you should use "their" rather than "its" in your sentence "People like HN, who take responsibility for its own actions, are not necessariliy the norm with customers." Note that gender neutrality is irrelevant to this correction.

In any case, your comment on HighNorth's ethics was flattering, regardless of the fine points of grammar.

--AP

Here's a link to Pete Dunne's javelin toss of the Nikon EDG I. Actually, he did two javelin tosses, one 10 ft, the other 100 ft.! The EDG survived both practically unscathed. In the long toss, they hit dirt not rock, so it's not apples to apples, but a meter vs. 100 ft. should about even things out, and it's still quite impressive that a double hinged roof survived a long javelin toss like that.

EDG Javelin Toss

<B>
Your impact comparison is not even close.

I don't care the angle, the temperature, the sun spot activity - a high quality bin should not snap like that, no excuses.

Quality is fitness for use in the eyes of the consumer. Clearly this is not fitness for use as binoculars are field gear and need to be robust.
Nonsense. Things break and no one, not even the owner, knows how much force was applied or the impact area involved.

Your impact comparison is not even close.

And you don't have any clue, so I am wondering why you would
question the results from Pete Dunne.

I highly doubt Dunne, has performed this torture test on any other
binocular. That is what is important here.

Jerry

What I think James is trying to say is that, even though all things can and will break under certain circumstances, you as a customer are entitled to expect LESS faults and breakage from an expensive, ostensibly quality product from a well-respected manufacturer.

Cold or not, that piece should not be that brittle.

And, completely agree with Alexis - the 'new' Zeiss logo looks cheap and cheesy...boggles the mind that they chose to ditch their iconic Z logo. It is not even written in the standard Zeiss font - unless that too is a thing of the past.

I think Zeiss, overall, needs a rethink.

First off, I hope that they will fix it at a reasonable price.

Looks like they used cast metal to build the hinge. But that must not be bad at all. Cast steel is even used to build firearms.

And to the discussion about the logo:
I hope they won't change the Z-logo to the new one used on the binos when making the glass for eyeglasses. I like the "Z" I occassionally see when cleaning my eyeglasses.

First off, I hope that they will fix it at a reasonable price.

Looks like they used cast metal to build the hinge. But that must not be bad at all. Cast steel is even used to build firearms.

And to the discussion about the logo:
I hope they won't change the Z-logo to the new one used on the binos when making the glass for eyeglasses. I like the "Z" I occassionally see when cleaning my eyeglasses.

I assume you use your "s" glass to check if your "z" glass is clean;)

And you don't have any clue, so I am wondering why you would
question the results from Pete Dunne.

I highly doubt Dunne, has performed this torture test on any other
binocular. That is what is important here.

Jerry
I don't question Pete at all. He's very pleasant and a great conversationalist. However, Pete did not deliberately drop his bin(s) onto a very hard surface ensuring that the impact point was focused on a narrow support structure. Since we really don't know much about either impact we must go with what we do know. Pete's bins, by his own omissions, apparently avoided focused impacts on rigid and unforgiving surfaces. The SF in question apparently fell a few feet onto a very hard surface where the entire force of the impact was focused on a small area. As I said, the two situations appear so different...they're not even close.

What I think James is trying to say is that, even though all things can and will break under certain circumstances, you as a customer are entitled to expect LESS faults and breakage from an expensive, ostensibly quality product from a well-respected manufacturer.
Zeiss will reply...you are correct. Only one out of 100,000 will ever break at that location. Welcome to a very exclusive club. Send it in and let's get you a replacement.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back