• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Water Pipit or Meadow Pipit? (1 Viewer)

kristoffer

Used Register
Hello. I´l try to explain as good as I can but it´s hard when English is not my native language.
Today I was out birding, got a few nice ticks; Lapland Longspur, Turtle Dove and a few more.

But what puzzled me was the reported Water Pipit. I arrived at the location and read that it was just sighted 30 min before with a bunch of Rock Pipits. And almost instantly I found the bunch of Rock Pipits. Among them was a pipit that clearly was a Water or Meadow. It had a white belly with dark streaks. It had no ochre, and looked like a expected a Water pipit to look like (never seen one before). But it did not have dark legs, they were more of a pink:ish colour. And most pictures I have seen of Water pipits got dark legs. Or is the dark colour related to age? Or winter? Perhaps this is a 2cy. It´s worth noting that no one has reported Meadow pipit from this location but it annoys me that I can´t say for sure what is what, even if I had Colins in front of me so I could compare.

hi kristoffer,

yes, some water pipits show more or less pinkish legs, so it should have been the one. most striking difference to meadow pipit is the greyish back with dull streaks, not nearly as contrasting as in meadow pipit.

regards,

Hi Lou, thanks for the answer. Another feature was the double white wingbands, but I guess both species can have that? Wish I could have photographed it.

hi kristoffer,

yes, some water pipits show more or less pinkish legs, so it should have been the one. most striking difference to meadow pipit is the greyish back with dull streaks, not nearly as contrasting as in meadow pipit.

regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back