• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Macedonia - Water or Tawny Pipit? (5 Viewers)

all the features of water pipit are here, the slightly upturned bill is a classic feature which race i have no idea
All the features but not entirely black bill, nor slighty contrasting light geyish-brown crown Vs brownish mantle, int of darkish streaks on this latter and on flanks, nor concolorous ear coverts withour isolated and contrasting moustachial stripe... etc. But I repeat myself, even though I wanted to give up ; I'm decidedly too obstinate :)

All the best,

Alexandre

Could you please explain why?
Hello
All the features pro-tawny and the reasons why it's not a water pipit had already explained in several post, and I suppose Brian agree with their contents? Each day I look at this topic makes me think of the movie "the groundhog day" :)

Regards,
Alexandre

Just as a reminder what digital photography in low light can do with pictures, look at this Sparrowhawk from today Raptor ID Requested | Essex, England
Markings like barring in this bird may completely disappear or become bolder.
That said post 16 from this thread by Mike looks (from a photographic point of view) rather convincing to me, including malar stripe and face pattern

Could you please explain why?
Structurally, it is long tailed for Water
I feel that the face pattern is nicer for Tawny, as are the centres to the median and greater coverts; I can't see the bill, but would it not be all black in May?
The colours to me are an artefact of light, camera and post processing

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 16.57.25a.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 16.57.25a.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 08.02.32.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 08.02.32.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39

Users who are viewing this thread

Back