• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North Macedonia - Water or Tawny Pipit? (2 Viewers)

Why ma_fink ask andMike Earp answered?
Because it is an Open Forum, not a private conservation........so anyone can contribute to the discussion. I think Butty posting a laughing emoji is most likely in response to the idea of a Wagtail species breeding with a Pipit - most unlikely.

The back is surely (slate) grey not sandy-grey and the edges of the median coverts ought not to be so white in a Tawny Pipit which should also have blackish lores. It looks to me like a Water Pipit not any sort of wagtail.
Thanks Ryszard and Mike for this details, but I still think it's a straightforward Tawny Pipit wich was photographied in bad light, and for witch the picture is pixelated - wich doesn't help to identifying the bird.
The bill of the bird show a slighty bright under mandible, and not a totally dark bill like yellow wagtail in summer plumage and, to a lesser extent, ad. nupt
water Pipit. The uperparts are tawny-grey and concolorous, wich absolutely doesn't fit with plumage of ad male or female yellow wagtail, nor water pipit. Undepart of the bird wich are witish, show almost no sign of clear yellow nor salmon-pink, respectively unlike yellow wagtail and water Pipit at this time of year. And as already said, pattern of medium covert are typical of that of Tawny Pipit, even it seems (according to Mike) too bright, wich in my view is partly a photo effect.

Alexandre

100% no tawny for mi
Ok but in my point of view, an hybrid of some sort between wagtail and pipit, wich is, at most, extremely rare, seems an odd hypothesis - like a wagtail - in comparison of a Tawny Pipit pictured in bad light and with quite strong photo effect... I have arleady post my arguments pointing to a Tawny so I will not return to this point, but I think it will be cool if other opinions enable consensus to be found on this bird.

Regards,

Alexandre

Ok but in my point of view, an hybrid of some sort between wagtail and pipit, wich is, at most, extremely rare, seems an odd hypothesis - like a wagtail - in comparison of a Tawny Pipit pictured in bad light and with quite strong photo effect... I have arleady post my arguments pointing to a Tawny so I will not return to this point, but I think it will be cool if other opinions enable consensus to be found on this bird.

Regards,

Alexandre
Hybryd online wagtail×wagtail

This thread should've been a poll from the beginning (if it were possible to create a poll in Bird ID Q & A).

Hybryd online wagtail×wagtail
Ok I see, so I suppose you'r talking about a intergrade of some yellow wagtail subspecies. But at this time of year it's absolutly no way a female (and most obviously a male) yellow wagtail - never mind the subspecies/hybrid involved - could look like that bird...

Definitely a Tawny Pipit for me, I hope this case will finally be resolved :)

Regards,

Alexandre

Users who are viewing this thread

Back