• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

pablo_bee

Currently using Opticron HR WP 8 X 42s - and I do like them!

However thinking of upgrading / adding roof prisms and looked at various brands/models. From research and trying out seems to be down to Viking ED 8 X 42 or Minox BL 8 x 44 BRs. Struggling to make a choice....both seem good optically and feel/handle fine.

Any thoughts / experiences would be most welcome!!

The Minox BL 8x44 BR would be my choice from those two. They are very sturdy but lightweight. I think I'm right in saying Minox used to be connected to Leica but are considerably better value for money! I'm off to have another look at the BL's this Saturday as there is an optics event on at Upton Warren, but guess that's a bit far for you to travel from Sheffield. some info here - http://www.birders-store.co.uk/the_birders_store_product_show_days_56.html.

Hi,

I think the HRWP are very good, and and bettering them without spending a lot might be a challenge in my opinion. One pair that would tempt me is the Minox HG 8x44. It has a wider, flatter view than the HRWP, and very nice in the hand. Check out comments in the Minox section. Normally it's quite a bit more money than the two you mention but the ex-demo price here is pretty attractive.
http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/minox_bino/minox_bino_fs.html

David

I have a pair of Optricron Oregon LE WP and they are very good for the price, under £100 last year..

Last edited:
Many thanks for the comments so far. Probably I ought to go and have another field test AND this time compare them with the HRWPs. I suppose I do really need to be objective in terms of added value!!

I believe that both your original choices are open bridge designs. Perhaps the handling and ergonomics appeal to you as much as their optical qualities? There are not that many other mid priced open bridge bins available, although I believe the Opticron Verano BGA PC Oasis falls into that category. It might be worth seeing if you can track one of them down to try.

For what it is worth, I recently bought one of the ex-demo Minox 8x43 HGs from Sherwoods. It is certainly a lot of binocular for the money and is well worth a try if you can find one.

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back