• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular advice 8x32 or 8x42 (1 Viewer)

I would like to upgrade my current binoculars which is a very compact (it even fits in my pocket!!) Opticron 8x25 trailfinder. It has served me well for the last few months being my first decent pair of bins. It has fully coated lenses, a close focus distance of 5feet and a f.o.v. of 357feet (108metres). They only weigh around 300grams. The eye relief is 17mm which is good for someone like me who wears eye glasses. However I think i've now out grown these bins because I am wishing it had a wider field of view, a brighter image, less reflections/glare (if that is the right word) when in bright sunlight (or if the sun is at a 90 degrees to me) , a bigger exit pupil. Weight for me is also of primary importance because I have some physical issues particularly affecting my neck. Bins which have ED glass where the coating is also dielectric would also be good but I don't want to spend too much money right now as funds are tight. My budget is around £200. I'd probably also get a harness with it to help with load bearing.

I'm wondering whether an 8x32 or 8x42 would be a good choice? I've looked at Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32 Binoculars and Viking Kestel ED 8x42. Bestbinocularreviews website had rated the Explorer 8x32 as "outstanding" but I wonder how much of an improvement this would be from my current 8x25? or is it just a small upgrade? Or are these brands/models to be avoided in favour of something else?

Most of my birding would be in woodland, open farmland and also at nature reserves in Kent. Most of my birding is around 70% small birds and 30% waders/waterfowl.

Any help/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Even with a harness, you probably still want to consider weight, so as a generalization an 8x32 might hold more appeal. Looks like you have your search parameters well mapped out. I have no doubt you will end up with just the right pair in the £200 range.

Last edited:
Find a shop.
If you can find someone who can recommend a reputable shop, consider buying second hand. It’s possible to make your money go a bit further.
Try various binoculars and see if they’re comfortable in your hands and that they "fit" your face.
Set a budget before you go !

Last edited:
I would like to upgrade my current binoculars which is a very compact (it even fits in my pocket!!) Opticron 8x25 trailfinder. It has served me well for the last few months being my first decent pair of bins. It has fully coated lenses, a close focus distance of 5feet and a f.o.v. of 357feet (108metres). They only weigh around 300grams. The eye relief is 17mm which is good for someone like me who wears eye glasses. However I think i've now out grown these bins because I am wishing it had a wider field of view, a brighter image, less reflections/glare (if that is the right word) when in bright sunlight (or if the sun is at a 90 degrees to me) , a bigger exit pupil. Weight for me is also of primary importance because I have some physical issues particularly affecting my neck. Bins which have ED glass where the coating is also dielectric would also be good but I don't want to spend too much money right now as funds are tight. My budget is around £200. I'd probably also get a harness with it to help with load bearing.

I'm wondering whether an 8x32 or 8x42 would be a good choice? I've looked at Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32 Binoculars and Viking Kestel ED 8x42. Bestbinocularreviews website had rated the Explorer 8x32 as "outstanding" but I wonder how much of an improvement this would be from my current 8x25? or is it just a small upgrade? Or are these brands/models to be avoided in favour of something else?

Most of my birding would be in woodland, open farmland and also at nature reserves in Kent. Most of my birding is around 70% small birds and 30% waders/waterfowl.

Any help/suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. :)

Sooner or later the quest begins with, and comes down to “How much are you willing to spend?”

Maljunulo said it best, first figure out what you want to spend or price range. A good 32 is better than a cheap 42.

Paul

Last edited:
>Weight for me is also of primary importance because I have some physical issues particularly affecting my neck.

I'm the same way - 32mm will be best. 30 ounces is too much for my neck, 20 ounces is a lot better. I still love my 8x42's but I need something lighter for long sessions with the binos on a neck strap. Chest harnesses aren't a good solution for me either, I find them pretty uncomfortable with 40-50mm binos.

Buy these Cabella's Euro Instinct 8x32 for $550 in the bird Forum classified and then contact Leica and snag a pair of Leica Ultravid 10x42 eye cups and buy the rain guard I have linked below, and you will have a pair of 8x32 binoculars that are very close to the alphas and better than most binoculars at the $1500 price point. They are also very compact and light.

Lol, very debatable 😲.

Chaffchiff

Sounds like you have done your research, and the Opticrons would probably be a good choice for your needs and budget, and Ratal seems to highly recommend them.
Not much experience on our side of the pond with Opticron & Viking since they are primarily sold in Europe, but some members seem to speak highly of them.
If you are having neck problems, you might one day try a Rick Young harness. I bought some based on the recommendations of several members and they are really quite amazing. When I first got them, I thought they looked like the round elastic cord that I bought to re lace my lawn chairs, but my, my, appearances are deceiving, and they are deceptively comfortable.

It always seems like members from the USA recommending binos to anyone outside the US, doean't take into account that there is considerable shipping charges as well as import duties and/or VAT for the buyer. We are most fortunate in that regard, as we pay nothing to import optics.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Tom

Thanks to all of you who replied. Very helpful suggestions. I'll definately look into the Rick Young harness as I see it is lightweight also so that would be ideal for me. Really good idea!

I have ordered the Opticron Explorer WA ED-R 8x32. Really looking forward to receiving it:D

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back